IAG TGV Delete & ID 1050X Cold Start Issue - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
IAG TGV Delete & ID 1050X Cold Start Issue
IAG TGV Delete & ID 1050X Cold Start Issue
Go Back   STI Forums > > > IAG TGV Delete & ID 1050X Cold Start Issue

Old 08-15-17, 05:48 AM   #1
STi_1212
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

STi_1212 is on a distinguished road
Default IAG TGV Delete & ID 1050X Cold Start Issue

Vehicle: 2012 STi
Previous mods:
Grimmspeed CAI
Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley
Invidia catted DP
Grimmspeed EBCS
Fuel pressure regulator kit (cobb style)
Killer B holy header w/ uppipe
Invidia Q300
Aeromotive Stealth 325 fuel pump

With the above mods the car ran and idled fine.

I recently added and was tuned for IAG TGV deletes, ID 1050x injectors, tomei turbo inlet, ETS TMIC and IAG competition series AOS to my 2012 STi. The vehicle was smoke tested after the install was completed and there was no leaks found.

The car runs/idles ok when its warmed up however, upon cold start (coolant temp below 140f) the engine idles at 1500rpm and if the gas pedal is blipped (say to move the car around on the driveway after 15-30secs of idling) the idle fluctuates once the gas pedal is released. If left untouched until the engine is warm there is no problem though. The issue is the idle will go between ~2000rpm and try to drop ~1000rpm. The engine will feel like its going to stall then bring itself back to what I guess it deems to be an acceptable idle rpm. It will repeat that cycle 2-3 times prior to settling back at ~1500rpm.

I'm kind of at a loss here because I recently had a friend who is stg2 (ots map) try to see if his vehicle (2013 wrx) will experience the erratic idle upon cold start once he blips his gas pedal and it did not.

I have an appointment to smoke test the car once more and to double check the install. Then I'm going back to my tuner to see if he can revise the map.

Has anyone else experienced this after adding TGV deletes/injectors? Is this a mechanical issue or something more related to the tune? I'm trying to figure out if I should just remove the TGV deletes/injectors and swap back to stock TGV's/injectors to rid myself of the issue or not. Is this just the nature of TGV deletes & larger injectors? I know for certain that previously my car did not experience these cold start idle fluctuations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-17, 06:57 AM   #2
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: IAG TGV Delete & ID 1050X Cold Start Issue

Are you running E85?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-17, 07:02 AM   #3
STi_1212
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Nope. I'm on 94, specifically petro-canada's gas. No E85 up in my area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-17, 07:56 AM   #4
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Sounds like a tuning issue. Should be a fairly easy fix.

Additionally, If you have an air compressor, you can make your own boost leak tester for under $5 and just do it at home.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-17, 08:07 AM   #5
STi_1212
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
Sounds like a tuning issue. Should be a fairly easy fix.

Additionally, If you have an air compressor, you can make your own boost leak tester for under $5 and just do it at home.
Just for my own knowledge, what needs to be revised? At first I was thinking the issue stemmed from TGV deletes or potentially the injectors. Ideally, there should be no reason the car doesn't behave like it did with the stock tgv's and injectors? To resolve the issue, I'm guessing the tuner would need to see the vehicle at or near cold start conditions (70-130F coolant temps) or is this something easily scaled while the engine is at operating temps?

The mechanical side I have a little more knowledge, the tuning side not so much - I think you and your tuner kind are wizards.

Thanks again for the insight, Jason.

Last edited by STi_1212; 08-15-17 at 08:12 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-17, 09:04 AM   #6
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

It may need several after-start tables corrected. One of the issues based on what you describe is that the ECU is seeing an AFR fairly far off from what it's looking for and trying to correct... over-correct, back and forth.

Stock TGV's help atomize cold fuel into the cold air. Removing them will naturally make a cold start harder. If the tuner who dialed in the ID1050x's is even remotely decent, the injectors are not the problem.

Additionally, the tuner should already have an idea of the issue and fix and be able to send you maps to correct. ID1050x's, TGV deletes, and gasoline really shouldn't have this sort of issue as it doesn't take a whole lot to get right. Once you add E85 to the mix, then the work has to be put in on making it cold start nicely. It gets even more difficult when you do the KStech TGV route and leave the dividers in place... Like I have.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-17, 09:33 AM   #7
STi_1212
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
It may need several after-start tables corrected. One of the issues based on what you describe is that the ECU is seeing an AFR fairly far off from what it's looking for and trying to correct... over-correct, back and forth.

Stock TGV's help atomize cold fuel into the cold air. Removing them will naturally make a cold start harder. If the tuner who dialed in the ID1050x's is even remotely decent, the injectors are not the problem.

Additionally, the tuner should already have an idea of the issue and fix and be able to send you maps to correct. ID1050x's, TGV deletes, and gasoline really shouldn't have this sort of issue as it doesn't take a whole lot to get right. Once you add E85 to the mix, then the work has to be put in on making it cold start nicely. It gets even more difficult when you do the KStech TGV route and leave the dividers in place... Like I have.
Much appreciated and thanks for letting me pick your brain on this!

For a good while there I was thinking of dropping the TGV deletes/injectors because I had a notion that it was just a nature of the beast situation with the both of them. Fingers crossed, its as easily rectifiable as you say.

I'll update the thread with the outcome/cause to help others in the future after everything is said and done.

Old 08-18-17, 11:03 AM   #8
VA STI
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

VA STI will become famous soon enough

Who did your tune? I am looking at doing the same mods next year and I'm in the GTA area.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-19-17, 07:43 AM   #9
STi_1212
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

So the tuner tried a couple things. Its been reduced but not totally eliminated. IIRC he mentioned something about my fuel pump dipping to 33% so they tried up'ing it to 100%. I think I'm going to just drop the TGV deletes and call it a day. The power increase over previous mods is not worth the headache at this point. Although, the cars driveability when warm is and has always been fantastic, it just the cold starts that drive me up the wall.

Old 08-19-17, 07:46 AM   #10
STi_1212
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA STI View Post
Who did your tune? I am looking at doing the same mods next year and I'm in the GTA area.
Andy @ Neetronics tuned me. You do have a wide variety of options though, touge tuning and definitive tuning are some of the others I am familiar with. I've only dealt with Neetronics though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement