selriva
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

selriva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First set of mods

First off I'm new to this forum and the STi world, so I hope I don't deeply offend anyone..
I'm getting an invidia catted dp, cobb fuel regulator kit, id1000s, aem fuel pump, cobb EBCS and tomei catback along with the cobb intake I already have. Is there a "safer" setup? I was considering adding equal length headers for lower EGTs or an ETS TMIC for hopefully less heatsoak. I'll be moving to south Florida this summer so that's definitely a concern of mine. I would like to attempt to stay on my stock engine for as long as possible so I also don't want to go all out, just find a good balance.
Thanks for the advice
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-17, 06:51 PM   #2
dcrnic
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: WRB 15 WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

dcrnic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First set of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by selriva View Post
I would like to attempt to stay on my stock engine for as long as possible so I also don't want to go all out, just find a good balance.
This is my dream too... great questions... Can't wait to see answers...

Two things you forgot to mention are AOS, and ProTune...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-17, 07:02 PM   #3
selriva
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrnic View Post
This is my dream too... great questions... Can't wait to see answers...

Two things you forgot to mention are AOS, and ProTune...
Already got the IAG competition AOS installed and a Protune. Got both at 1200 miles!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-17, 02:04 AM   #4
First_STI
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

First_STI is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the ETS TMIC good? I was about to get it but i cant find any review nor people talk about how good the ETS TMIC are.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-15-17, 02:57 AM   #5
Cake Eater
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: My GFB BOV
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater has a spectacular aura aboutCake Eater has a spectacular aura about

Step 1 is research.

Good tyres, sway bars and wheel alignment.

My first mods are usually trying to sort out the handling.

Then it's time to research again.

Once that is done I work out what I want out of the car.

More research.

Then I set a total budget.

I then workout what 75% of my budget is.

Then I work out what is needed to achieve goals.

More research.

I ensure that all components will play well with each other.

Then I cross check prices of shiny things with my adjusted budget (purchasing, fitting and tuning).

More research.

Then I add or remove items as per the limits of my adjusted budget.

Then I do more research.

Once I have researched every part and possible outcome I will then recheck my adjusted budget and parts chosen.

From there it is go time.

The last 25% of my total budget is held in reserve until all work is finished or something pops up post instal and tune, never bank on ajything going smoothly, if it does then all's well, if not, then you are ready.

From my experience there are alway things that pop up, from broken studs to extra gaskets or belts.

Your car will be better for it if you set budgets from the begining, and remember to plan ahead where possible, fitting parts that will support 300hp is fine, but, if later down the track you want 400hp those partsmay need to be replaced or upgraded.

Do it right, do it once.

Shop smart, shop S mart.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-15-17, 10:30 PM   #6
selriva
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Good advice but I'm looking more for facts. My concern is that a tmic and EL headers is too much modding.. but I also don't want engine trouble due to heatsoak and general high temps from UEL.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-15-17, 11:24 PM   #7
Cake Eater
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: My GFB BOV
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater has a spectacular aura aboutCake Eater has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Good advice but I'm looking more for facts. My concern is that a tmic and EL headers is too much modding.. but I also don't want engine trouble due to heatsoak and general high temps from UEL.
If you have a track near by head out and have a look at what people are running, not your average joe, the serious guys, they usually have whats needed and whats not.

You also need your goal for the car, DD or club car, a little bit more power, a good power increase or I want to smoke my mate with a build EVO, mod will be different for each level, local climate may also play a factor with cooling

Do you plan to keep the stock turbo?

What fuel is in the area, do you have easy access to E85?

How hard are you going to run it?

Whats is your budget?

Information is required to assure you get what you do and don't need.

I'm at 300hp and I regularly lean on the car, the stock exhaust manifold with the UEL headers isn't causing any issues at this power level.

As for larger tmic, again what power levels, I have a top Process West TMIC, the only time I notice any heat soak is if I'm stuck in traffic, or stopped for a extended period.

You could negate this with a front mount, but at low power levels the need for one isn't really required, plus there are fitment issues and flow issues to think of as well with a front mount.

Have you spoken to all the local tuners in the area in reguards to what they recommend, the internets is full of information as well, but you need to disregard 90% of it and look for the 10% that's relevant.

The controversy about what you need is large, people will usually tell you to get what they have, be aware that people are like sheep and will just copy others regardless of actual benifits or results, don't believe the suppliers either, they will talk up their parts over other, usually backed by their own testing, which is always going to be one sided.

The only people or claims I trust are gained from logging and the track.

Everything else is just food for thought.

I am currently trying to work out what is the most efficient exhaust manifold for my car, at this stage I can calculate pipe lenghts and diameters using fluid dynamics and have it custom built using quality materials, but it will cost a bomb, but, so far no manufacturers can tell me about what benifits or drawbacks will be seen in requards to what it will do to my torque curve, they say things like more power everywhere, which just isn't physically possible unless you disregard the basic laws of fluid dynamics.

I would like ELH, but for the cost of purchase and tuning involed I really would like to see some basic information as to what they are designed to do, it's not rocket science, but hopefully they have used fluid dynamics.

I swear some suppliers just make things shiny and use advertising magic and free stickers to sell parts.

Anyways, enjoy researching.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 03-16-17, 07:18 AM   #8
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'm getting an invidia catted dp, cobb fuel regulator kit, id1000s, aem fuel pump, cobb EBCS and tomei catback along with the cobb intake I already have. Is there a "safer" setup? I was considering adding equal length headers for lower EGTs or an ETS TMIC for hopefully less heatsoak. I'll be moving to south Florida this summer so that's definitely a concern of mine. I would like to attempt to stay on my stock engine for as long as possible so I also don't want to go all out, just find a good balance.
ELH is not a bad idea, you list a lot of mods already.

What you should do about an intercooler depends what year car you have and you might want to do down the road. If "research" indicates it is a good idea to max out the stock turbo and this will be a long term plateau and you have the money the why not do it and tune once. As long as it will actually provide lower intake temps then it will enable more power and be safer. ETS and Process West is generally accepted as good products. There are other vendors you might consider depending on you year.

Quote:
My concern is that a tmic and EL headers is too much modding.. but I also don't want engine trouble due to heatsoak and general high temps from UEL.

You first list is well into modding. Don't worry about a little more.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-16-17, 09:28 AM   #9
selriva
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ha! That's my problem. I live in the middle of PA. I'm surrounded by corn, but no E85. I'm also surrounded by fields and large empty spaces.. But no tracks. Modded cars and experience with modded cars are few and far between. I'm going to run it pretty hard, basically backroad blasts. No launching or track days for me. Keeping stock turbo. I think I've decided to go with Killer B ceramic coated headers and up pipe. There's really no reason not to from everything I've read. Is an upgraded TMIC better in every way, or does it have some draws? 2017 STI.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-16-17, 09:33 AM   #10
selriva
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So a new TMIC would probably be beneficial? I have a '17. At what point would an EWG be recommended? I'm going with a catted DP but... I could just go with a catless and the Killer B EWG up pipe and an EWG for around the same price.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement