Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC. - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC.
Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC.
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC.

Old 03-10-17, 05:44 PM   #1
Flow Wulf
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Flow Wulf is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC.

Recommended oil pickup & oil/air separator? I am getting an 06-07 STI soon & the only mods I want are for reliability so if you can point me in the right direction for any other mods that will save my engine/car in the long run let me know!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-17, 05:48 PM   #2
tylerlieberman
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nice
Default Re: Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC.

Parts:
-KillerB Oil pickup and windage tray.
-iAG street series AOS.

Driving habits:
-Let car warm up/cool down when needed
-Drive in the right gear
-Check oil often

Done.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 06:23 PM   #3
Flow Wulf
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Any gauges that will protect my car from major damage? *oil pressure, fuel pressure, air/fuel ratio*
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-17, 08:24 PM   #4
Cake Eater
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: My GFB BOV
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater has a spectacular aura aboutCake Eater has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow Wulf View Post
Any gauges that will protect my car from major damage? *oil pressure, fuel pressure, air/fuel ratio*
I like idiot lights for oil pressure and coolant temp, you dont really look at the gauges when you are flat in a corner going for gold.

You will see and react quicker to a idiot light, and "because race car"

I found these work well > Longacre GAGELITES™ Warning Lights

As for AOS, that's a real can of worms, everyone will tell you to get something different, some with valid reasons, some because they are sheep, it depends on power goals and the condition of your motor as well.

I'm running a Grimmspeed AOS with an additional baffled catch can, 16k km on the motor, 300hp, some drags and a couple of track days, lots of hard driving on the street, the can has been bone dry since I put it in, rear port on intake that the crankcase breather use to use is plugged and now the return from the AOS goes through the can then to the port at the front of the intake.

I used Grimmspeed because it was cheap and a easy install for a RHD platform, the baffled can I got on fleabay, I added fuel foam to the baffling to aid in stripping the oil from the air, I also used the same hose as supplied with the AOS for the can (the supplied hose for the can was rubbish, saying that, the Grimmspeed AOS isn't letting oil past it.

From investigation I found the oil mist that got into my TMIC was coming from the crankcase breather and nothing from the cam covers, but when I rerouted the crankcase breather to the AOS it was enough to strip the oil.

TMIC and can has been oil free ever since.

Do you have oil issues?

How old is the motor?

Do you track?

Is it only street?

Is the motor stock?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions, I'm sitting at work bored.

Last edited by Cake Eater; 03-10-17 at 08:58 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 08:32 PM   #5
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Nut behind wheel
My Subaru Parts for sale

tastetickles has a spectacular aura abouttastetickles has a spectacular aura about

Get the basic defi club sport package if you just want to monitor "before kaboom" readings. Comes with oil pressure, oil temp and water temp sensor, monitored using the zd advance. The zd advance also allows u to record your 0 to 60mph, etc if you tapped tacho and speedo from your car's ecu. If you like bling then expect to spend more by buying individual gauges.

Anything with the defi control unit allows you to set warning and record parameters.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 09:27 PM   #6
Flow Wulf
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well its an 07 STI with 26k miles on it, Hopefully going to buy it here soon. Just want to keep it in perfect condition, & buy mods/gauges that help keep it running clean. I will only run it on the street, I will run it hard just not all the time.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 09:51 PM   #7
Cake Eater
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: My GFB BOV
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater has a spectacular aura aboutCake Eater has a spectacular aura about

My post about routing may have been confusing here's some pics, hopefully it explains it better

Last edited by Cake Eater; 10-15-17 at 10:50 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 07:17 AM   #8
tylerlieberman
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake Eater View Post
As for AOS, that's a real can of worms, everyone will tell you to get something different, some with valid reasons, some because they are sheep, it depends on power goals and the condition of your motor as well.

I'm running a Grimmspeed AOS with an additional baffled catch can, 16k km on the motor, 300hp, some drags and a couple of track days, lots of hard driving on the street, the can has been bone dry since I put it in, rear port on intake that the crankcase breather use to use is plugged and now the return from the AOS goes through the can then to the port at the front of the intake.
When it comes to the AOS, I like the idea of "do it once. do it right" idea. Between the Grimmspeed AOS and additional catch can you bought, I imagine you're in ~$350, and you had to install two different units and tie them together. An extra $50 gets you - what many people agree - the best product on the market right now. It addresses all of the issues, integrates the coolant, and routes everything properly.

Yes, it's more work to install, but the point of the AOS is for reliability and preventative measures. Why cheap out?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 07:51 AM   #9
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerlieberman View Post
When it comes to the AOS, I like the idea of "do it once. do it right" idea. Between the Grimmspeed AOS and additional catch can you bought, I imagine you're in ~$350, and you had to install two different units and tie them together. An extra $50 gets you - what many people agree - the best product on the market right now. It addresses all of the issues, integrates the coolant, and routes everything properly.

Yes, it's more work to install, but the point of the AOS is for reliability and preventative measures. Why cheap out?
His car is right hand drive so that may have limited his options on fitment.

I'm personally waiting for Killer B's air/oil seperator in GD fitment. They're developing it now.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 09:34 AM   #10
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerlieberman View Post
Parts:
-KillerB Oil pickup and windage tray.
-iAG street series AOS.

Driving habits:
-Let car warm up/cool down when needed
-Drive in the right gear
-Check oil often

Done.
Some solid advice here I would like to add not lugging the engine. That I guess will fall in with "drive in the right gear" I am not a AOS fanatic so I'm not going to comment or recommend on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow Wulf View Post
Well its an 07 STI with 26k miles on it, Hopefully going to buy it here soon. Just want to keep it in perfect condition, & buy mods/gauges that help keep it running clean. I will only run it on the street, I will run it hard just not all the time.
At that 26K its almost time for spark plugs. If you do buy this car think about doing an oil change right away and spark plugs sooner than never. They are recommended at 30K and may even be original plugs at this point. Maybe even replace the air filter if its never been done. I would also recommend doing the trans and differential flushes. Those fluids are due for replacement at 30K too.vGood maintenance really goes a long way on these cars. I think a good set of gauges would be great too. Boost and oil pressure gauge get my vote.

Last edited by Jay11STI; 03-11-17 at 09:38 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement