Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC. - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC.
Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC.
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC.

Old 03-11-17, 10:04 AM   #11
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Oil Pickup? Air/Oil Separator? ETC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
At that 26K its almost time for spark plugs.
Isn't plug maintenance interval 60K?

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-17, 10:35 AM   #12
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
I thought it was every 30K
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 12:15 PM   #13
tylerlieberman
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
His car is right hand drive so that may have limited his options on fitment.

I'm personally waiting for Killer B's air/oil seperator in GD fitment. They're developing it now.
Ah, I didn't see that the vehicle was RHD. I'm sure it can still be done, but I understand if that isn't an option.

I didn't know KB was working on an AOS either. That'll be interesting to see, as they make really good stuff.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-17, 02:44 PM   #14
Cake Eater
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: My GFB BOV
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater has a spectacular aura aboutCake Eater has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerlieberman View Post
Ah, I didn't see that the vehicle was RHD. I'm sure it can still be done, but I understand if that isn't an option.

I didn't know KB was working on an AOS either. That'll be interesting to see, as they make really good stuff.
Mine is RHD, plus also as I live in Australia in a more temperate climate there is no need for a heated AOS, and fitment of the othere brands are a issue, I could have found a spot for a heated one where the can is currently but as the heating requirements are not needed that would be just more routing of coolant lines, and potential failure points that are not needed.

I am of the opinion, that now with a longer routing of the breather line from the crankcase to the AOS it helps strip the oil, the line from the crankcase where it is plumbed into the intake tract stock is about 200mm, now it is 900mm

The only reason for the can was for initial insurance, as no oil is getting past the Grimmspeed the baffled can is redundant, plus it was cheap, I am undecided on whether to remove it or not, it is reassuring to look at it and see it bone dry though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 03:43 PM   #15
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Nut behind wheel
My Subaru Parts for sale

tastetickles has a spectacular aura abouttastetickles has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake Eater View Post
Mine is RHD, plus also as I live in Australia in a more temperate climate there is no need for a heated AOS, and fitment of the othere brands are a issue, I could have found a spot for a heated one where the can is currently but as the heating requirements are not needed that would be just more routing of coolant lines, and potential failure points that are not needed.

I am of the opinion, that now with a longer routing of the breather line from the crankcase to the AOS it helps strip the oil, the line from the crankcase where it is plumbed into the intake tract stock is about 200mm, now it is 900mm

The only reason for the can was for initial insurance, as no oil is getting past the Grimmspeed the baffled can is redundant, plus it was cheap, I am undecided on whether to remove it or not, it is reassuring to look at it and see it bone dry though.
Remove can and use transparent hose to monitor any blowby changes. That's what I would do.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 04:37 PM   #16
Cake Eater

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastetickles View Post
Remove can and use transparent hose to monitor any blowby changes. That's what I would do.

I had clear lines on the old 33 for monitoring whilst they are functional I didn't want the "because race car" look in the STI's engine bay, and over time, even with good oil separation I found the clear lines discolored anyway and didn't look "nice" LOL.

The car is basically a DD which sees a small amount of track, if on the other hand it saw alot of track or if it had much high power I would most likely use clear lines to monitor it between sessions, all I need to do now to check is pull the dipstick on the can or unscrew the base, if I was to remove the can I could just pull the line at the intake and have a look for oil residue.

But as it is it suits my needs perfectly, and if by chance I get pulled over by the local constabulary, it looks relatively stock with all hoses, fittings and bolt-ons black.

My scenario- Officer Plod "So what are the modifications mate", Me "It's basically stock sir".

We have pretty strict guidelines here on what's allowed modification wise here, it pays to not give them anything to look at or question, otherwise they will defect the car and you need to get a inspection at the local authorities where they will inspect everything from height, emmisions, wheel and rim size and every modification they can see.

Plus I'm to old for the hassle of returning it to stock and retuning.

I am actually trying to find center caps for my Enkei's with a STI logo to furter enhance the facade of OEM from the outside.

Disclaimer: yes that is a GFB respons TMS BOV set at 50/50 hanging off the TMIC, and yes I can see the issue with it and "the stock look", but every time I shift when I'm on it puts a smile on my face and it reminds me of my youth, some things are worth the accepted risk.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 09:01 PM   #17
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

tastetickles has a spectacular aura abouttastetickles has a spectacular aura about

Does the enkei center cap with sti logo exist from enkei? I have the enkei center caps they are just enkei plastic double sided on to the aluminium cap.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 09:44 PM   #18
Cake Eater

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastetickles View Post
Does the enkei center cap with sti logo exist from enkei? I have the enkei center caps they are just enkei plastic double sided on to the aluminium cap.

Not that I could find, the cap is huge, 75mm on the RS05RR, I've seen some STI stickers on fleabay that may suffice though, not optimal but at least worth a try.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 10:23 PM   #19
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake Eater View Post
Not that I could find, the cap is huge, 75mm on the RS05RR, I've seen some STI stickers on fleabay that may suffice though, not optimal but at least worth a try.
Ah I see, I almost bought that wheel as well but never quite understood what enkei meant by "oem wheel center cap use".

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-12-17, 03:43 AM   #20
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
I thought it was every 30K
Stock Irdium STI plugs have always been 60K . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerlieberman View Post
Ah, I didn't see that the vehicle was RHD. I'm sure it can still be done, but I understand if that isn't an option
It's near Denver. It isn't.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 03-12-17 at 04:28 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement