'12STi70
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

'12STi70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine mods for low-end torque

So I have had a basic stage 2 package done to my '12 Hatch, ID 1000s, TGV deletes, air pump delete, turbo inlet, turbo back and pro-tune.

It is much better than stock but I want to know if there are engine mods that will specifically increase torque before the turbo spools?

I don't necessarily want a sharper torque rise, I want to move the entire torque rise to the left (on the dyno graph).

I'm more familiar with V-8 engine mods. If you want more low-end torque from a SBC you bore and stroke it and it becomes a 383 and a low-end monster. Longer stroke = more torque whether it is a gas or diesel.

Is there a stroke kit for these 2.5 subarus? Will a piston change effect low-end?

thanks for any opinions
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-17, 06:00 AM   #2
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: engine mods for low-end torque

No, not really. The turbo must spool before the car gets into its power band.

Despite a common misconceptions that cars should have lists of low end torque, it is not needed to make a fast car. In fact it really isn't good for its bearings. What works involves torque, rpm and gearing.

Your question makes me wonder whether you are driving in an rpm range where an STI is happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '12STi70 View Post
So I have had a basic stage 2 package done to my '12 Hatch, ID 1000s, TGV deletes, air pump delete, turbo inlet, turbo back and pro-tune.
That's not normally accepted as stage two. Stage two is historicall DP and tune. 2+ adds an intake.

Quote:
It is much better than stock but I want to know if there are engine mods that will specifically increase torque before the turbo spools?

I don't necessarily want a sharper torque rise, I want to move the entire torque rise to the left (on the dyno graph).
Generally in an STI you build for power from 3500 - redline with the intention of not having that 3500 get higher - or not to much higher - because high power builds often are.

Quote:
Is there a stroke kit for these 2.5 subarus? Will a piston change effect low-end?
Actually yes, and if you are really going to build an engine you will have that option. I't not going to work miracles on its own though.

The one thing you should look into is E85. Guess I didn't write that first because though it will get you more torque it will be after spool. It will get you more torque.
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

Last edited by mheyman; 03-01-17 at 05:39 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-28-17, 10:42 AM   #3
blacknblue06STI
Account Inactive

Car: Black, 06' STI
Fav Mod: ACT Monolock
My Subaru Parts for sale

blacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura aboutblacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

thanks for any opinions
you can degree the cams to change the initial base settings and change the torque curve to the right or left.

There are several adjustable cam gear suppliers,,,crower has been around since the 60's so I'm sure its quality stuff...heres a link,
BC8860 Brian Crower Adjustable Cam Gears 2002-2007 Subaru WRX / STI - Horsepower Direct LLC
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-17, 03:11 PM   #4
8cd03gro
Advanced Mastery Level II

My Subaru Parts for sale

8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough

Buy a V8
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-28-17, 03:21 PM   #5
'12STi70
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Buy a V8
thanks for that. I was just asking a question to see what is out there.

I have v-8s in my trucks.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-28-17, 03:23 PM   #6
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Buy a V8
This is the answer.

A low compression 2.5 liter will not have torque before the turbo starts cramming air into it.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-28-17, 03:27 PM   #7
8cd03gro
Advanced Mastery Level II

My Subaru Parts for sale

8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
thanks for that. I was just asking a question to see what is out there.

I have v-8s in my trucks.
I'm just giving you the answer to your question. Regardless of what you do, this is still going to be a 4-cylinder with a lot of plumbing to and from the turbo. It will never have good low end torque. There are certain setups that will have good low end for an STi, but you're never going to make gobs of torque at 2,000rpm like you can with a larger displacement engine. An E85 tune will help. A stroker setup would help, but you're opening a huge can of worms there. If it's low end torque you seek you should really skip spending a bunch of money because it's not going to happen on this platform.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-28-17, 03:34 PM   #8
'12STi70
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
I'm just giving you the answer to your question. Regardless of what you do, this is still going to be a 4-cylinder with a lot of plumbing to and from the turbo. It will never have good low end torque. There are certain setups that will have good low end for an STi, but you're never going to make gobs of torque at 2,000rpm like you can with a larger displacement engine. An E85 tune will help. A stroker setup would help, but you're opening a huge can of worms there. If it's low end torque you seek you should really skip spending a bunch of money because it's not going to happen on this platform.
Ok, well thanks. that is the info that I am looking for.

I know it isn't going to make V-8 low-end, I was just trying to figure out what could and couldn't be done. The shop that did the work so far has a flex fuel kit but I don't have E-85 readily available.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-01-17, 04:38 AM   #9
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

The easiest way to get more hp and torque out of these cars are equal length headers (ELH) and E-85 fuel. Both will require supporting mods and work really well together.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-01-17, 07:27 AM   #10
Voodoo Rufus
Platinum Member

Fav Mod: Driver Mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Voodoo Rufus will become famous soon enough

Not so joking: high compression pistons.

Totally joking: TD04 turbo.

Meth injection might help, too.

Last edited by Voodoo Rufus; 03-01-17 at 07:40 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement