Vanishing coolant, maybe no big deal? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Vanishing coolant, maybe no big deal?
Vanishing coolant, maybe no big deal?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Vanishing coolant, maybe no big deal?

Old 01-16-17, 02:54 PM   #1
CptCroaker
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CptCroaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vanishing coolant, maybe no big deal?

Hey guys, just bought my 2012 sti hatch this past October and everything has been very good since until recently. I live in Canada, a very cold part and part of my deal was to have the dealership put a block heater in. The car survived through about two weeks of extreme cold before they put a block heater in. To my surprise about a week later when changing the oil, I discovered that they didn't put a block heater in, but instead put an oil pan heater on. I'll mention that the oil pan heater was only designed to heat a snowblower sized engine... Yay. So long story short with that, it didn't help much at all when it came to starting the car in -30C weather. So I whined at the dealership and after about a two day battle with them I got them to admit they screwed up and that Subaru indeed does not recommend oil pan heaters for their engines. An appointment was booked to install a actual block heater and at the time of booking I was told that it would only take 45 min to an hour to do. This time seemed short for me as I had read that the coolant would need be drained in order for the install to happen. I even mentioned that during booking and the service manager told me, no it just goes in... Somewhat of a red flag for me but I proceeded to book it. The day I took the vehicle into the dealership to get the block heater I made sure to check my coolant level in the reservoir tank and everything looked good. Not surprisingly it took them over two and a half hours to do it and after it was all said and done I made sure to check the coolant level in the reservoir tank again. Coolant level looked fine from the reservoir tank and so I proceeded on home. Being the paranoid driver that I am I kept checking the coolant throughout the following days. And after about a week of driving I noticed that the coolant in the reservoir tank had fallen to the low-level line. Not sure if this is the right thing to do but I added more coolant to the reservoir tank until full it did not take very much. I also began checking the coolant level everyday and checking for leaks and puddles underneath the car which was easy as there is lots of snow on the ground. I did not see any leaks and there was never any coolant on the ground but even after I filled it the coolant in the reservoir tank keeps going down. I've topped it up twice so far I noticed again today that it's Fallen 2 about halfway in between. Last week I even went to my buddy's shop and we lifted the car and could not find any leaks. Can anybody lend some insight as to what might be going on this has me very paranoid and worried.
The motor is stock and I have done nothing to it.
Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-17, 03:04 PM   #2
Adam WeSTi
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: WRB 05 STi
Fav Mod: ELH
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Adam WeSTi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vanishing coolant, maybe no big deal?

Sounds like they half-assed burping the coolant and it is basically doing it itself through heat cycling.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-16-17, 03:07 PM   #3
CptCroaker
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam WeSTi View Post
Sounds like they half-assed burping the coolant and it is basically doing it itself through heat cycling.
I had also thought this too. As I feel they must have rushed the block heater job after dumping coolant on themselves. I'll mention too that there is not milkshake in the oil. So I don't think it's a gasket.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-17, 01:17 PM   #4
[email protected]
Contributor

Car: 17 FocusRS, 99 Miata
Fav Mod: Dyno Tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Tech@EFI is on a distinguished road

looks like it needs to be bled properly-Rob
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-21-17, 06:21 AM   #5
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Please re-bleed the cooling system. Sometimes air can get trapped in the system so it may be necessary to to it again. After the car is properly bleed and after is has gone through a heat cycle and cooled, pressure test the cooling system to verify that there are no leaks.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-22-17, 05:34 PM   #6
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Nut behind wheel
My Subaru Parts for sale

tastetickles has a spectacular aura abouttastetickles has a spectacular aura about

Rebleed like others have mentioned but the bleeding procedure I find on forums and YouTube didn't really work for me. Opening the top radiator cap, switching on heater and letting the thermostat cycle with occasional revving didn't work to purge air for me after I installed my water temp sensor.

Temperature kept climbing even though reservoir is full as I anticipate it would get pulled into the cooling system as air bled but it didn't. The water temperature spike to 105 Celsius, that's when I realize something is wrong with the procedure so I put the top radiator cap back on and switch the engine off, low and behold the air bubbles sound came and the water in the reservoir was depleted totally from the brim to below Low level and pulled into the cooling system. So I just let the car idle for a long time and air just bleed naturally like that. Kinda weird but it works so...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-25-17, 07:01 AM   #7
[email protected]
Contributor

Car: 17 FocusRS, 99 Miata
Fav Mod: Dyno Tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Tech@EFI is on a distinguished road

I always us a funnel with a radiator cap adapter.. stick it in the expansion tank.. top off the coolant and warm the car up until the fans cycle a few times.. shut it off and let sit for a few mins. some times I'll squeeze the rad hose to get bubbles out as much as possible.. then I remove the funnel and top off the coolant reservoir.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-08-17, 10:06 AM   #8
CptCroaker
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks guys

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement