P0017 on 2015 STi, but no symptoms... - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
P0017 on 2015 STi, but no symptoms...
P0017 on 2015 STi, but no symptoms...
Go Back   STI Forums > > > P0017 on 2015 STi, but no symptoms...

Old 12-12-16, 10:25 PM   #1
pet3r
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 15 STi - 520hp/520tq
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

pet3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P0017 on 2015 STi, but no symptoms...

I have a 2015 STi with about 11800 miles on the car. Long block was replaced by subaru at 7400 miles and is fully documented. I bought it from the original owner as he was spooked about the longevity of the car.

I installed a built motor now (through a very competent shop, as well as one of the best tuners out there) with 1800 miles on it now and its been running super strong—510whp/550wtq EFR7163 build.

Out of nowhere a few nights ago I was doing some pulls and the boost was spiking like mad, and power was down significantly (100hp or so). Then on the drive back, while idling at a stop light, I threw a CEL—P0017: Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B). Car idles perfectly and nothing about the motor seems like anything is off. It still drives just fine! Nothing sounds off whatsoever. The only recent change (2 days prior to CEL) was adding a Corsa Catback. No tuning changes were made yet.

The car went in to limp mode with the CEL. I reflashed my map to see if it would come back. I checked the following gauges while driving in the Accessport to see if the AVCS advance was working. Exh Right, Intake Left/Right both appear to be fine. Then I tried the AVCS Exh Left gauge, and it was stuck at 0. It would maybe flicker between 0 and 1, but would mostly stay locked on 0.

After about 10 miles of driving again, and restarting the car, the CEL came back on again (DTC states it will trigger after 2 driving cycles.

The next morning I changed the oil (Brad Penn break-in still, per IAG instructions). I can't seem to find much online about this CEL or a fix, other than a few people with P0016 or P0018. People have cleaned the OCV and it fixed, others simply replaced.

I pulled the AVCS solenoid (left exhaust cam, drivers side) and cleaned it out. No dice, no change.

The next possible problem could be I skipped a tooth on the timing belt, but I would likely have more symptoms (bad idle) if I did. Because the car starts, idles, and runs perfectly as it did before, I'm guessing its a bad sensor.

Appreciate any thoughts...mostly documenting it here for future searches.

Here is what the Cobb tells me:

But this is the DTC from the manual. They have slightly different names/titles...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-16, 04:31 AM   #2
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: P0017 on 2015 STi, but no symptoms...

Check your timing first. If that seems ok, try swaping out the sensor.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-21-16, 09:00 PM   #3
pet3r
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: 15 STi - 520hp/520tq
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

pet3r is an unknown quantity at this point

I would check timing, but it idles beautifully and makes power. If I had skipped even one tooth on the timing belt, it would be noticeable on idle.

Just swapped in a new OCV for the drivers exhaust solenoid. No change
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-17, 04:27 PM   #4
[email protected]
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2013 wrx sti limited
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

kingkai23@yahoo.com is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever happened cuz i have same issues
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-27-17, 07:00 PM   #5
3Dglasses
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 2008 STI
Fav Mod: Driver Mod!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

3Dglasses is an unknown quantity at this point

I have similar issue. Put new build motor in and now throwing P0017. Runs fine at startup. After it warms up the pass side exhaust AVCS will start running up to 40 at idle. Blip the gas and it returns to 0. Let it sit and it slowly climbs to 40 and eventually throws the P0017 code.

I just pulled the pass side oil control block and cleaned it and oil control valve very well. I swapped the oil control valve with driver side. Tomorrow I will test to see if problem follows the oil control valve.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement