Questions for PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft owners. - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Questions for PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft owners.
Questions for PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft owners.
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Questions for PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft owners.

Old 09-08-19, 09:27 AM   #31
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Questions for PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft owners.

Out of curiosity, can you accurately measure the shafts diameter? If so I'll measure my DSS.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-19, 10:33 AM   #32
B-radLi
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: '16 CWP STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

B-radLi is an unknown quantity at this point

Just measured it. Looks like it's about 2.75". But the weight being placed exactly where it was, added just enough to the diameter to hit my shifter bushing. Odd though considering my stock DS is the same size and wasn't rubbing before this.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-12-19, 04:28 PM   #33
B-radLi
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Alright, for anyone wondering I figured out the fitment issue. Turned out to be my Group N transmission mount. As you can see in the picture, the Group N mount isn't just a more durable material, it is thicker than stock. As a result, the transmission was sitting up higher, which changed the geometry/angle of the driveshaft.

Therefore, if you want an aftermarket driveshaft, DO NOT run the Group N tranny mount (not sure if the same issue would pop up with other brands though).
Attached Thumbnails
Questions for PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft owners.-img_0474-jpg  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-19, 05:41 PM   #34
mheyman
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

I've run my DSS with stock and Perrin mounts . . .

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-13-19, 12:45 PM   #35
Jedi03
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: Blue 2009 STi Hatch
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jedi03 is on a distinguished road

have heard in the kartboy installs that you need to move the cable out of the way, or if its not pushed in all the way/ziptied correctly it can make contact too...but good to know in the group n...I was planning on doing iag mounts but still debating as am unsure about extra nvh...love my dss tho!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-13-19, 01:38 PM   #36
B-radLi
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
I've run my DSS with stock and Perrin mounts . . .
Well, that's pretty much why I said I can't comment on other brands. But glad to hear at least something out there will work with the CF driveshaft.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-13-19, 01:40 PM   #37
B-radLi
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi03 View Post
have heard in the kartboy installs that you need to move the cable out of the way, or if its not pushed in all the way/ziptied correctly it can make contact too...but good to know in the group n...I was planning on doing iag mounts but still debating as am unsure about extra nvh...love my dss tho!
You do have to move the cable out of the way when you install the Kartboy shifter. I thought I had done a good enough job of doing that, but apparently not. But at least I was able to fix it when everything was pulled apart.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-13-19, 01:48 PM   #38
DK01
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 2015 STI
Fav Mod: Driver Mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

DK01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-radLi View Post
Alright, for anyone wondering I figured out the fitment issue. Turned out to be my Group N transmission mount. As you can see in the picture, the Group N mount isn't just a more durable material, it is thicker than stock. As a result, the transmission was sitting up higher, which changed the geometry/angle of the driveshaft.

Therefore, if you want an aftermarket driveshaft, DO NOT run the Group N tranny mount (not sure if the same issue would pop up with other brands though).

That's interesting, I run PST drive shaft with group N tranny mount on my 2015 STI for the past 4 years with no issues.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-13-19, 06:22 PM   #39
mheyman
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
have heard in the kartboy installs that you need to move the cable out of the way, or if its not pushed in all the way/ziptied correctly it can make contact too
This is true any time you mkees with stuff in that area, any work at all that might free or move the cable.

Quote:
...but good to know in the group n...I was planning on doing iag mounts but still debating as am unsure about extra nvh...love my dss tho!
Improved mount? Yes. I really like my Perrins, but they do transmit a good bit of NVH. For me they are perfect - right at the limit of what I want to tolerate. Most people wouldn't. My son has Group-Ns. Unlike everyone else he is unimpressed. He says a not nearly the stiffness of the Perrins but much of the NVH. Personally I look at em and I want something made differently than stock - not different, better.

Writing not to warn you. I am currently driving a borrowed GD WRX that has Torque Solution mounts in it. The ones I've writing I might try if I were to build another car. I was wrong. They are ridiculous - far more NVH than my Perrins. I nick-named the car "The mover and Shaker". An associate calls it the "Bone Shaker". Why is this a warning? Look at the Torque Solutions. Look at the IAG Street Series. They are both 75 Durometer. Are they absolutely 100% identical? I don't know. Could the IAG bushings have far thicker poly-urethane? I don't see how. Note I have not used em, but look.

Last edited by mheyman; 09-14-19 at 05:36 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-14-19, 04:23 AM   #40
B-radLi
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK01 View Post
That's interesting, I run PST drive shaft with group N tranny mount on my 2015 STI for the past 4 years with no issues.
That is very odd. I mean, there is nothing else that was causing it. And once I changed it back to the stock mount, I was able to fit my wrench in between the DS and kartboy shifter bushing. It was a full 1/4" - 1/2" difference.

I bought a Cobb shifter bushing and will be installing that this weekend just to see if there is a difference between that and the Kartboy as far as clearance is concerned.

Out of curiosity, what other drivetrain mods do you have? Short shifter, bushings, etc. I'm extremely curious why your combo works, but mine didn't.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement