Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 05 Subaru WRX STi
Fav Mod: Exhaust and intakes!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SirMyztiq is on a distinguished road
Default Major repair with clutch/flywheel

Hello!

I've been a Subaru owner for quite a while. In my younger years I went through 2 2005 STi. Because I was stupid. I got my third one a couple of years ago after I graduated but I couldn't stay out of trouble. Needless to say I was away for about a year and I've been rebuilding my life recently and things are going well. My car though needs some TLC.

My clutch has been slipping as of late. I feel it's about time to bite the bullet and get it fixed. Yes I have been putting it off. I don't know, now I'm all stingy and crap with a 6 month old and a six year old. But I bought some Pilot Super Sport tires today and that little thing got me going.

So the car was bought with some nice upgrades. FMIC, turbo timer, some(non-working) gauges, 3" TB and some other things. I bought it a couple of years ago and I can't remember. It felt Protuned and the guy that owned it was very careful and got it done by professionals at COBB. I believe it's been running the stock clutch/flywheel.

When I upgraded my previous car's clutch/flywheel, I got the ACT HD clutch kit and the ACT Streetlite flywheel. That car was stage 2.

I feel like that kit should be fine for this current car I drive(another 2005 Sti with about 108K). It sucks that I don't know the spec range but it feels a bit faster and aggressive than stage 2 but for sure isn't putting up some crazy torque #'s. I know it's vague but at this point it's going to be as close as approximating the kind of power it puts down. It doesn't have an upgraded turbo so that alone tells me that I should be fine but I want to double check.

I'm also considering having the mounts replaced with some KBs and getting the trans and rear diff changed while they are working on it. Last time I replaced it I got the Motul 90PA LSD but I recall there was tons of chatter that the Subaru stuff is best, others that it was the same. Is this still the consensus or is there something new and hot on the block.

I posted quite often on the forums before I decided to be foolish. Like I still use Rotella T6 oil kind of oil. I'm sure something better has replaced it.

Once I get that done, I have a timing belt kit just sitting at home along with some "angel eyes" for the headlights(which need some resurfacing)...should be fun to get back in the groove of things.

So my plan is:
ACT HD Clutch kit
ACT Streetlite Flywheel
KB Mount kit stuff. Forgot what the name was.

I'm assuming they need to drain the tranny oil for replacing the clutch right? If so then I'll give them the Motul 90P otherwise I'll let them do their thing and I'll replace it at home.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-15, 10:13 AM   #2
bannerd
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Black 06 WRX, 04 STi
Fav Mod: Oreos
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bannerd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Major repair with clutch/flywheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyztiq View Post
Hello!

I've been a Subaru owner for quite a while. In my younger years I went through 2 2005 STi. Because I was stupid. I got my third one a couple of years ago after I graduated but I couldn't stay out of trouble. Needless to say I was away for about a year and I've been rebuilding my life recently and things are going well. My car though needs some TLC.

My clutch has been slipping as of late. I feel it's about time to bite the bullet and get it fixed. Yes I have been putting it off. I don't know, now I'm all stingy and crap with a 6 month old and a six year old. But I bought some Pilot Super Sport tires today and that little thing got me going.

So the car was bought with some nice upgrades. FMIC, turbo timer, some(non-working) gauges, 3" TB and some other things. I bought it a couple of years ago and I can't remember. It felt Protuned and the guy that owned it was very careful and got it done by professionals at COBB. I believe it's been running the stock clutch/flywheel.

When I upgraded my previous car's clutch/flywheel, I got the ACT HD clutch kit and the ACT Streetlite flywheel. That car was stage 2.

I feel like that kit should be fine for this current car I drive(another 2005 Sti with about 108K). It sucks that I don't know the spec range but it feels a bit faster and aggressive than stage 2 but for sure isn't putting up some crazy torque #'s. I know it's vague but at this point it's going to be as close as approximating the kind of power it puts down. It doesn't have an upgraded turbo so that alone tells me that I should be fine but I want to double check.

I'm also considering having the mounts replaced with some KBs and getting the trans and rear diff changed while they are working on it. Last time I replaced it I got the Motul 90PA LSD but I recall there was tons of chatter that the Subaru stuff is best, others that it was the same. Is this still the consensus or is there something new and hot on the block.

I posted quite often on the forums before I decided to be foolish. Like I still use Rotella T6 oil kind of oil. I'm sure something better has replaced it.

Once I get that done, I have a timing belt kit just sitting at home along with some "angel eyes" for the headlights(which need some resurfacing)...should be fun to get back in the groove of things.

So my plan is:
ACT HD Clutch kit
ACT Streetlite Flywheel
KB Mount kit stuff. Forgot what the name was.

I'm assuming they need to drain the tranny oil for replacing the clutch right? If so then I'll give them the Motul 90P otherwise I'll let them do their thing and I'll replace it at home.

Thanks in advance for your input!
I would do the ACT HD and not the ACT streetlite. You'll have a more balanced engine with the OEM fly wheel. If the car is manual transmission then you don't need new fluid. The job is easy to do, few bolts and the engine comes right out. Or you can just remove the tranny and axles. Automatic and you might loose some fluid from the cooler but if you're quick enough you can cap them off. Napa sells rubber plugs for these.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement