Car won't start... hope it's an easy fix! - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Car won't start... hope it's an easy fix!
Car won't start... hope it's an easy fix!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Car won't start... hope it's an easy fix!

Old 09-16-15, 10:16 AM   #1
Mr Alltrac
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Stage 2+ Sf Intake
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Mr Alltrac is on a distinguished road
Default Car won't start... hope it's an easy fix!

So I was leaving my house this morning at 6 am to go to work. Car started just fine, I get about 2 blocks from my house when my abs, traction control, and hill assist lights come on. (Brake pressure switch) look in the rear view notice I don't have any brake lights. Since I didn't wanna risk getting a ticket for this, I pulled over, turned the car off to reset the lights. Go to start it and it just starts clicking. Tried a few more times nothing, just hear the starter clicking. At this point I'm pissed so I get out and start pushing the car, get it up to speed a little and hop in, kick start, car turns on just fine. I go to check it at lunch and you can only hear the starter clicking.

Checked-
Fuses - good
Battery terminals - good
Grounds - good
Tried tapping the starter to see if it was locked and nothing just more clicking.

Any ideas? Everything else in the car is fine. Lights, windows, radio, etc.

2012 sti sedan stage 2+ sf intake
Around 50k miles.
Been stage 2+ for about 35k and no problems.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-15, 10:40 AM   #2
BLKSTI16
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Cobb Accessport V3
My Subaru Parts for sale

BLKSTI16 has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSTI16 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Car won't start... hope it's an easy fix!

Sounds like a dying battery. Also never kick start a modern day car. I know some people are still old school but don't realize the damage they are during to their computer, electrical and emissions components.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-16-15, 10:43 AM   #3
ebricky
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: SWP 2014 STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Drivers mod!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ebricky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSTI16 View Post
Sounds like a dying battery. Also never kick start a modern day car. I know some people are still old school but don't realize the damage they are during to their computer, electrical and emissions components.
can you elaborate? I am very interested to hear why!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-15, 11:02 AM   #4
BLKSTI16
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Couple things, though others may disagree. You can bump start and may do it several times and be fine but there are risk and its not a good idea. The first problem is with electronics. They are designed to see a certain voltage. Greater than 10.5. If the battery is dead at 7 volts and then you bump the car forcing all the sensors to react to 13-14 volts this can cause electrical damage. Could it be fine? yes it could, but things can also go wrong. When you turn the key fuel is primed, oxygen sensors start heating up, crank sensors energize and the sudden abrupt change in electricty can affect all of this. When the sensors are down in the case of bump starting raw fuel can be dumped through the exhaust burning cats and 02 sensor. Also the abrupt shock of the transmission engaging to the motor can shock the driveline into eventual fatigue. Will it screw up your car on the first time? No. But it does do damage.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 09-16-15, 11:19 AM   #5
Mr Alltrac

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I know I shouldn't of done it but at that early in the morning I really didn't have time to push my car back to my house.
So it wasn't ideal but it's not like I do it all the time. This was the first in the 3 1/2 years I have had the car.

I'll check the voltage of the battery with a multimeter when I get home.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-16-15, 11:21 AM   #6
Mr Alltrac

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Can you think of a reason why the battery would work then just give out about 4 minutes later?

Other than oem subaru battery's are crap.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-16-15, 11:25 AM   #7
bboytaktix
Advanced Mastery Level III

My Subaru Parts for sale

bboytaktix has a spectacular aura aboutbboytaktix has a spectacular aura about

Subaru's batteries are crap. Try with a different battery if you can find/borrow one to confirm.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-16-15, 11:31 AM   #8
bboytaktix
Advanced Mastery Level III

My Subaru Parts for sale

bboytaktix has a spectacular aura aboutbboytaktix has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSTI16 View Post
Couple things, though others may disagree. You can bump start and may do it several times and be fine but there are risk and its not a good idea. The first problem is with electronics. They are designed to see a certain voltage. Greater than 10.5. If the battery is dead at 7 volts and then you bump the car forcing all the sensors to react to 13-14 volts this can cause electrical damage. Could it be fine? yes it could, but things can also go wrong. When you turn the key fuel is primed, oxygen sensors start heating up, crank sensors energize and the sudden abrupt change in electricty can affect all of this. When the sensors are down in the case of bump starting raw fuel can be dumped through the exhaust burning cats and 02 sensor. Also the abrupt shock of the transmission engaging to the motor can shock the driveline into eventual fatigue. Will it screw up your car on the first time? No. But it does do damage.
not sure what credentials you have or where you got this information, but I have to say it doesn't sound too credible. The voltage is regulated via regulator, and once the vehicle is started, all electronics will get sufficient power via the alternator. The alternator is designed to supply enough current to all vehicle devices with a little overhead. Battery is more for storing power and distributing when needed (larger load demanded at idle, or car turned on accessory only)

As for the transmission, if a kick start is an abrupt shock, I wonder what shifting at high speeds would do...

people miss shifts often enough without major mechanical failure (just some extra clutch wear); mechanical fatigue has to do with the amount of cycles that the component experiences (long-term), not short-term or one-time events. Also, our clutches are designed to be the weak point in our transmission, so most of the time those components will wear far before the rest of the transmission.

Just wanted to clarify some things, not looking to be an ass, hoping you take that the right way!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-16-15, 12:12 PM   #9
BLKSTI16
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Dont worry I understand, my credentials are limited so any additional input is fine with me. I get my information from trusted mechanics/interesting articles that I stumbled upon online and determine what makes sense based on my 10 years of Automotive hobby experience. When im talking about voltage the electronics are designed to go from 11.9 volts to 13-14volts depending on the regulator. Like I said nothing may happen, but the jump from say 6 volts to 14 volts can screw things up.

A kick start is basically a clutch dump in my book so yea it will do the same type of damage eventually.

Alot of people dont know that jump starting a dead battery is actually the worst thing you can do for it and it can take years off its life if done enough times. Not everyone has 16 hrs to do it the proper way though which is to trickle charge.

Alot of cars will set a check engine light when bump started nowadays due to the electrical signals not registering because the ecu had no power. When your power goes out and your computer shuts off and then you turn it back on it has to go through error checks and doesnt like what just happened. The cars ecu will go through a similar but different process.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-16-15, 03:18 PM   #10
Mr Alltrac

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well after work I jumped the car, fired up instantly, drove home and hooked up my battery charger to 12v 2amp. And it basically read 25% charge.
So that battery is toast!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement