IW STi Forum banner

cost to have sti engine completely serviced?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Toivonen 
#1 ·
im looking at getting an 05 sti for a fairly good price, however the guy told me the cam seals and other seals in the engine are leaking and the engine needs a serious service/tuneup, anyone know what thatll run me? roughly?

#4 ·
Honestly, I believe it will cost thousands to have the work done by a shop. Cam seals alone require removing the timing belt. While it's out and if it has any kind of mileage on it you'll want to replace it as a matter of course. To do the job right you need a belt, three idler pulleys, and a hydraulic tensioner. Some people opt to do the water pump as well. Right there you're looking at $5-600 in parts plus $600-1000 labor before you even get to seals and anything else that needs be done. The only way I would consider a car like that is if I could perform the labor myself and/or had a lot of disposable income.

#5 ·
Id disagree. First how can any of us say anything valid. We don't have price or anything else about the car !

Then SS costs are higher than I paid before I started modding doing most if my own work. I paid a bit over $600 for a timing belt, water pump and seals. Half Gates best kit/ half labor. This is normal stuff. Nothing to be afraid of.

The questions are how much, how many miles, what else is wrong? Get it all checked out.

Reactions: Toivonen
#6 ·
Here's the thing about the STI in particular. It gives the illusion anyone can work on it. The truth is anyone can take it apart, but not everyone can put it back together properly. I've been working on cars since I was 11 and in that time I've learned not to use aftermarket parts in most circumstances especially on Japanese cars. It's been my experience they just don't work as well as OE parts. I've seen a great many STI's and WRX's poorly modded and poorly serviced from people that knew just enough to get the job done. I guess I use a different philosophy. So yea if you want it just good enough you can save some money on parts. I'm not a fan of the Gates belt tensioner though. Some don't have the same force as the OE Subaru part when you pull the pin. That makes me uneasy.

I got burned once by a car I purchased when I was a kid. I wanted it and didn't listen to that little voice of reason in my head and I was sorry afterwards. I don't want to see the OP make the same mistake. Like is too short to be financially stressed over a car.

#10 · (Edited)
$10K will get you a new engine.

A timing belt and everything they might do with it will be "a little bit" less.

You need to learn what it really needs before purchase.

#11 ·
Honestly find a good tuner that specializes in Subarus in your local area that is highly reputable and gets great reviews. Most of them are small shops that charge you way less than the stealership and know what OEM parts and what aftermarket parts will work with your mod set.

This applies even if you want OEM, factory stock like work because a good, honest mechanic will do it as well to somewhat better than the stealership which has to follow a scripted menu regardless of whether it follows what is really in your best interest whilst charging you less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.