IW STi Forum banner

Product Feeler: A Different kind of turbo kit... SPOOLINATOR

57K views 120 replies 36 participants last post by  munjaxm2 
#1 ·
Something we are working on and looking for feedback...

This product is great for those that have made incremental upgrades, don't want to spend the bigger bucks for a 'rotated' kit, but have outgrown the OEM turbo's power levels. Uncompromised mid-sized turbo performance in a lower cost package.

These results were obtained using a Garrett GTX3067-R on our shop 2012 STi. We are still undergoing testing, but so far results have been very good.

Two Dyno plots. First from Prime Motorsing's Mustang Dyno, where a strong stage II STi reads ~275whp, and a second street pull using virtual dyno. Based on experience, the car feels like the mustang numbers are 25whp low and the virtual numbers are 25hp too high. It feels like a 355+whp car, but probably not more than 375whp. What is really astonishing is the responsiveness at low RPM. One observation that was made is intake temps were climbing in the upper RPMs likely due to heat soak of the OEM intercooler. Car will be put back on the dyno after the ETS TMIC shows up.

Please feel free to post your questions, comments or concerns.

Thanks!

See less See more
#6 ·
The OEM location 'turbo kits' use an OEM like housing. They are not performance oriented like a Tial turbine housing and you don't have any choices for which A/R choices for the turbine housing with an OEM style housing. You get what they make and what they make is one size. I am not 100% certain, but I believe this turbo is very similar in flow to the Blouch 2.0

It looks to me as if its a pseudo stock location setup they are posting. It looks like its stock location in the idea that the inlet goes under the manifold, but the turbo itself sits back further from the engine a little bit. Just speculation of course, but it looks to be a custom up pipe to better position a larger turbo in the stock location.

The only reason I am not sure on this is because its looks like they are using some of the oem brakets for supports on the up pipe. Not sure....
The turbo sits in nearly the same location as stock. Any up-pipe can be used (we used our with our holy header) as this bolts onto the up-pipe's turbo flange. All the OEM brackets are retained, which we always prefer (in any kit) as they are rock solid mounting points.

Kit includes tial housing adapter, downpipe, hardware and ancillary bits (oil feed, drain, etc.) to run a GTX turbo.

i am in the middle of mapping out my plan if my engine goes and this might be the ticket. if the turbo is pushed back a bit it would be interesting to see how FMIC kits would work. maybe something Killer B should consider if they havent already ;)
Any FMIC, or TMIC, that can be mounted to the OEM turbo will work with this kit. The outlet of the Garrett GTX3067 (or any GTX30) is in the same location as the stock turbo :)

I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I'm currently torn on my future turbo setup, but the power and 300 wtq figure looks to be at the right RPM.

Would you be able to fab up a v-band outlet that worked with the APS turbo back? Maybe with the EWG routed into the exhaust?

Will this work on the GDs?
Not that we couldn't, but that's more custom fab shop territory than production based. We can engineer, design and manufacture almost anything you could need, but the cost would be huge compared with what a fabricator could offer.

So far we've only designed it with a VTA WG, since it is made to work with anyone's up-pipe, rerouting the WG becomes an impossible feat. :(

#3 ·
It looks to me as if its a pseudo stock location setup they are posting. It looks like its stock location in the idea that the inlet goes under the manifold, but the turbo itself sits back further from the engine a little bit. Just speculation of course, but it looks to be a custom up pipe to better position a larger turbo in the stock location.

The only reason I am not sure on this is because its looks like they are using some of the oem brakets for supports on the up pipe. Not sure....

#5 ·
I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I'm currently torn on my future turbo setup, but the power and 300 wtq figure looks to be at the right RPM.

Would you be able to fab up a v-band outlet that worked with the APS turbo back? Maybe with the EWG routed into the exhaust?

Will this work on the GDs?

#17 ·
I didn't go with either. I went with the GTX 3067 ;)

The turbo sits in nearly the same location as stock. Any up-pipe can be used (we used our with our holy header) as this bolts onto the up-pipe's turbo flange. All the OEM brackets are retained, which we always prefer (in any kit) as they are rock solid mounting points.

Kit includes tial housing adapter, downpipe, hardware and ancillary bits (oil feed, drain, etc.) to run a GTX turbo.

Will you be offering catted and non-catted downpipes? If you are including a DP, and forgive my question please, why couldn't you offer the wastegate plumbed into it using a flex piece to help with fitment? That would be the ultimate kit!
So far catless, but I don't see why a cat can't be added.

We are only offering VTA because we don't know what up-pipe will be used, could be any up-pipe with an EWG.

#16 ·

Will you be offering catted and non-catted downpipes? If you are including a DP, and forgive my question please, why couldn't you offer the wastegate plumbed into it using a flex piece to help with fitment? That would be the ultimate kit!

#19 ·
So far catless, but I don't see why a cat can't be added.

We are only offering VTA because we don't know what up-pipe will be used, could be any up-pipe with an EWG.[/QUOTE]

I for one, have no intentions of using anything other than your header and up-pipe. That is the kit I'd love to see! Pretty please!!!

#28 ·
Barebones it's going to be ~$1,600. With hardware to install a GTX ~$1,725 and it goes up from there depending on how complete you want the kit and/or how much you've already got.

Speaking of your header any word when it will be in stock or do any vendors possibly have some?
If you search around you may find some that have it in stock, maybe. We have no idea who does or doesn't though. The next batch is due to start shipping out mid-June. Most are going to resellers, but I have no idea how much of that is pre-orders or for stocking. This batch is completely sold out already. The following production batch should start becoming available in late August.

any word/updates on this? :)
Beta testing will commence soon :)

#29 ·
what ever happened to the real low mount turbo setup? Is that something you will offer or is this the revised turbo kit you will offer from now on?
Well... I kinda sorta blew up the engine on the test car :mad: which kinda sorta lead us down a path for maybe doing an engine program... but yes this project is still moving forward after a bit of a hiatus.

Car is coming together and should be starting her up soon...

And just for fun we added a bit something else to the mix...

#30 ·
I'd be interested in either of the kits mentioned. My project is planned for next spring. Been planning on staying stock location TMIC. Youre Low-mount project is the one kit that might induce me to go FMIC, otherwise I view this kit as an alternative to the FR EFR6758 kit. I beleive I could still use a Killer-B header with that?

#32 ·
One beta set has become available. PM for info.

Also, have more accurate pricing...

Downpipe and adapter flange, less hardware: $993

ADD hardware and all bits for a GTX/Tial (oil drain/supply, coolant fittings, etc.): $1,291

ADD GTX3067 (w/Machined Inlet) and Tial Housing: $3,155

ADD Perrin 3" inlet: $3,423

We've had several requests to break it into different pricing options. Hopefully this covers how most would like their setup to come.

#34 ·
The GTX30 and GTX35 have the same turbine dimensions as far as the inlet and outlet.

On the compressor side anything larger than a GTX3067 (awesome turbo on these cars BTW!) will need to use the 'compact' compressor housing option. All GTX28-35 turbochargers use the same CHRA.

Essentially GTX28-35 can be made to fit with this kit.

Hard to say what the GTX3067 would make on E85. VD says 393whp, and the low reading dyno shows 331whp. My butt dyno says it's in the middle ~365whp and extremely responsive. Should be able to clear 400whp on E85 and I can't imagine how crazy responsive it would be!

#37 · (Edited)
Thanks, I hope the same for you! We've not done any comparative testing with the Blouch turbos. According to the flow numbers the Blouch should make more power... BUT, Garrett has no official compressor map numbers for the GTX3067. They post the GTX28XX numbers because that's a 'special' configuration and uses the GT/GTX28 wheel. What I was told by Garrett, was to expect higher output than the maps would lead you to believe due to the lower backpressure of the larger turbine housing and the GTX28's compressor wheel having better aero characteristics compared to the GTX30 wheels. With what we've seen, this is all true. So for comparative sake, to a more known, used, and data plentiful unit, the GTX3067 is close to a GTX3071. About ~10whp shy of what you'd see with a 3071, but with LOTS more responsiveness down low. A fatter curve so to speak.

So back to the Blouch 1.5XT-R to GTX3067-R comparison. Blouch uses a Garrett CHRA, a different compressor wheel, old GT style compressor housing (non-surge ported) and an OEM style turbine housing. The compressor wheel differences (for better or worse are debatable) and really come down to what can be seen by the compressor map numbers. The significant difference is the efficiency of the turbine housings. OEM style housings are known for being... well... OEM. The Tial housings are a design intended for performance applications. So for ease of convenience the Blouch is the easy way to go and I think that's what you're mostly paying for. For the more powerfull and useful setup the Garrett and Tial setup can't be beat there. We've been using the setup on many different turbos for years for a reason. If I were to throw conservative numbers out there, the Garrett setup on our kit will make 20+whp and 20+wtq AND will spool sooner. That's the bet I'd be willing to take without loosing any sleep.

Subscribed.
What A/R turbine housing do these results show on your '12 STI? Is your GTX3067R able to hold constant boost to 7 krpm? Thanks.
Per Garrett's recommendation we used the 0.63 A/R housing. "With the larger 30R turbine and housing this is an ideal match with the GTX28's compressor wheel, on the EJ25, going larger will slow response and produce marginally more power up top." This coincides with what we've seen as well. On our low mount the GTX3071 made flat power up to ~7,500 RPMs on stock heads. On the dyno this Spoolinator kit we see solid boost to ~6,000 RPMs, but then a rise in intake temps causing timing to be pulled and power to drop. Exactly what happens when you push the OEM intercooler beyond capacity. I had honestly expected a bit less power out of this setup with the OEM intercooler keeping up. In hindsight, a larger intercooler should have been used from the get-go. On the street it feels as if it holds power up high much better, or higher in the revs than what the dyno is showing, which is typical as well. Logs still show it's pulling some timing up high. We have an ETS TMIC I/C here and ready to be installed. We'll be scheduling testing of this car once we have more of the 2015 parts done and ready to test.

Thanks for the questions guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.