Subtle-Solutions Intercooler Splitter = Good Stuff!! - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Subtle-Solutions Intercooler Splitter = Good Stuff!!
Subtle-Solutions Intercooler Splitter = Good Stuff!!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Subtle-Solutions Intercooler Splitter = Good Stuff!!

Old 06-04-12, 01:52 AM   #1
ScoobyDoo12
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 WRB STI Limited
Fav Mod: COBB Tuning Accessport & COBB SF Intake w/ Airbox
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ScoobyDoo12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Subtle-Solutions Intercooler Splitter = Good Stuff!!

I picked up this splitter for my IC from Subtle Solutions. It was the only piece I didnt have in my engine bay that they made so I figured what the heck. Below is what I thought of the splitter for others to see.

I purchased the splitter from Subtle-Solutions @ this link Subtle Solutions

It was shipped fast and I had it within a couple of days after I ordered it, Opened the box and as you can see it was packed very well...

Super Safe...

They supply new bolts and washers if you want to use them...

Unpacked and laid on the floor...

Upside down...

Different angle...

Install was a piece of cake... finished in 5 minutes...

Engine Bay before Install...

Take the Left IC Bolt out and everything simply stays in place and stays lined up...

Take the Right IC Bolt out as well...

Splitter fits nice and snug with no bolts in place. The red padding gives it a safe way to sit snug on the surface...

Pretty simple.... Put the Bolt in the hole and tighten it down on both sides...

Bolts in and tight...

Installed Product.... as you can see I placed the supplied decal on this piece as I have done with all there products

Angled down to see straight on profile...

No Fitment Issues at all... This is with the hood shut looking and it threw the hood scoop...

A little closer and the flash to show the dirty car as well...

And finally the full view of the engine bay after install....

Thoughts:
Just like the other pieces that I dressed up the bay with from Subtle, Its a nicely made sturdy piece of lightweight aluminum that has a good powder coat black finish. Best of all, its made in the USA! Quality and Fitment was great and the install was super easy.

Now I've driven with it on the car for a little over a week and I've had multiple long drives in the recent 90+ degree weather. I know its hard to back claims from the famous butt dyno so take this as you may, but even with the heat the car never seemed to have any effects from the heat. I think this splitter does its job and distributes the fresh air to the entire surface of the IC. I do have a trip coming up where Ill be in the car for 6+ hours and I can report back anything more I conclude.

Id recommend this piece to anyone that wants one of those simple quick mods that is quick and wants to dress the bay up and give each fin on the IC the air it deserves.

Just to add, I have had the other pieces for close to a year now and there made out of the same material and per the pictures you can see that they are still in perfect condition. So these pieces are built to last and look good for a long time!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-12, 07:18 AM   #2
rizaler
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: Aspen White 06 STi
Fav Mod: Dom 3.0 xtr
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

rizaler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Subtle-Solutions Intercooler Splitter = Good Stuff!!

Why not just get a fmic? And I'm pretty sure the TM will utilize its entire surface area without a splitter on it. Sounds like it's more aesthetics than anything else.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-12, 07:24 AM   #3
Subtle-Solutions
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: WRB 07 Forester XT
Fav Mod: Subtle - Chimney Duct
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Subtle-Solutions is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Subtle-Solutions Intercooler Splitter = Good Stuff!!

(08-12) Impreza (STI Only) - Intercooler Splitter

What is it?

Subtle Solutions: (08-12) Impreza (STI Specific) - Intercooler Splitter was designed to help divert air traveling through the integrated hoodscoop evenly over the top of the Stock "STI" TMIC (will also fit some aftermarket Intercoolers). This splitter mounts directly on top of your TMIC using the (2) M8 stock mounting bols. The splitter divides the entering air into 3 equal sections and allows for optimum flow onto the intercooler.

More information...

Your intercooler acts like a radiator and cools down the heated air coming out of your turbocharger right before it enters your engine. And like a radiator, the intercooler depends on a constant flow of outside air from your hood scoop at its surface to keep the intake temperatures lower.

Colder air is denser than hot air, and can be compressed more efficiently, resulting in more power and less detonation. If you have ever pulled over after a spirited drive and felt your intercooler, you would notice that it can get pretty hot. This is partly due to the ineffective design of the factory metal splitter inside your hood scoop. With the way the factory splitter is designed, air entering through the hood scoop is only directed over about 50% of the intercooler’s surface area.

The Intercooler Splitter has specially angled fins that rise into your hood scoop. These fins collect incoming air and disperse it evenly over the entire surface area of your intercooler, dramatically increasing intercooler efficiency. This increase in intercooler efficiency will result in lower intake temperatures, and more power! The improvements seen make this a perfect upgrade, even for a car with a factory intercooler and hood scoop.

Specs:
  • CAD Designed
  • CNC Laser Cut
  • CNC Pressed
  • Lightweight Aluminum - Powder Coated (Textured Black)
  • Stainless Steel hardware (washers)
  • Made in USA
Designed to fit:
  • (08-12) Impreza (STI Only) TMIC's (may fit some aftermarket TMIC's)
  • (08-12) Impreza STI Hood (may fit some aftermarket hoods)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-12, 07:57 AM   #4
rizaler
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: Aspen White 06 STi
Fav Mod: Dom 3.0 xtr
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

rizaler is an unknown quantity at this point

"If you have ever pulled over after a spirited drive and felt your intercooler, you would notice that it can get pretty hot. This is partly due to the ineffective design of the factory metal splitter inside your hood scoop. With the way the factory splitter is designed, air entering through the hood scoop is only directed over about 50% of the intercooler’s surface area."

Heat creates a high pressure pocket that restricts the cold air attempting to enter that scoop, which kind of contradicts why these tmic splitters wouldn't work. The splitters for the fmic serve their purpose, while this is obviously a gimic to make your engine bay look sporty. Put a fmic on it and replace the hood with an rs one and you're good. What you should focus on is how to prevent heat soak on the tm due to turbo location.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-12, 07:45 PM   #5
ScoobyDoo12

Car: 2011 WRB STI Limited
Fav Mod: COBB Tuning Accessport & COBB SF Intake w/ Airbox
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ScoobyDoo12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizaler View Post
Why not just get a fmic? And I'm pretty sure the TM will utilize its entire surface area without a splitter on it. Sounds like it's more aesthetics than anything else.
Well lets use some Common Sense here....basically because I'm not ready to drop 4 digits.... Of course a FMIC would be better than a splitter and to even compare the 2 makes no sense at all... Oh well thanks for your opinions, I respect them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle-Solutions View Post
(08-12) Impreza (STI Only) - Intercooler Splitter

What is it?

Subtle Solutions: (08-12) Impreza (STI Specific) - Intercooler Splitter was designed to help divert air traveling through the integrated hoodscoop evenly over the top of the Stock "STI" TMIC (will also fit some aftermarket Intercoolers). This splitter mounts directly on top of your TMIC using the (2) M8 stock mounting bols. The splitter divides the entering air into 3 equal sections and allows for optimum flow onto the intercooler.

More information...

Your intercooler acts like a radiator and cools down the heated air coming out of your turbocharger right before it enters your engine. And like a radiator, the intercooler depends on a constant flow of outside air from your hood scoop at its surface to keep the intake temperatures lower.

Colder air is denser than hot air, and can be compressed more efficiently, resulting in more power and less detonation. If you have ever pulled over after a spirited drive and felt your intercooler, you would notice that it can get pretty hot. This is partly due to the ineffective design of the factory metal splitter inside your hood scoop. With the way the factory splitter is designed, air entering through the hood scoop is only directed over about 50% of the intercooler’s surface area.

The Intercooler Splitter has specially angled fins that rise into your hood scoop. These fins collect incoming air and disperse it evenly over the entire surface area of your intercooler, dramatically increasing intercooler efficiency. This increase in intercooler efficiency will result in lower intake temperatures, and more power! The improvements seen make this a perfect upgrade, even for a car with a factory intercooler and hood scoop.

Specs:
  • CAD Designed
  • CNC Laser Cut
  • CNC Pressed
  • Lightweight Aluminum - Powder Coated (Textured Black)
  • Stainless Steel hardware (washers)
  • Made in USA
Designed to fit:
  • (08-12) Impreza (STI Only) TMIC's (may fit some aftermarket TMIC's)
  • (08-12) Impreza STI Hood (may fit some aftermarket hoods)
Thanks for posting that info in here for people to see!! Great Job once again on this product and the quality customer service!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizaler View Post
"If you have ever pulled over after a spirited drive and felt your intercooler, you would notice that it can get pretty hot. This is partly due to the ineffective design of the factory metal splitter inside your hood scoop. With the way the factory splitter is designed, air entering through the hood scoop is only directed over about 50% of the intercooler’s surface area."

Heat creates a high pressure pocket that restricts the cold air attempting to enter that scoop, which kind of contradicts why these tmic splitters wouldn't work. The splitters for the fmic serve their purpose, while this is obviously a gimic to make your engine bay look sporty. Put a fmic on it and replace the hood with an rs one and you're good. What you should focus on is how to prevent heat soak on the tm due to turbo location.
Once again comparing thousands of dollars to 2 bills just doesnt really work... I agree with your point that FMIC is alot better for performance and getting cool air but your not really comparing apples and oranges, your comparing apples and origami....lol
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-12, 07:47 PM   #6
Steveo47
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: OBP 12 STi
Fav Mod: 44mm EWG
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Steveo47 is an unknown quantity at this point

^^ ive always been interested in this splitter. Might have to pick one up!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-12, 07:51 PM   #7
punchjamesarnol
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 450+hp'10DGM_STI SE
Fav Mod: e85_Dom2.5xtr_ PHATRON TUNED
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

punchjamesarnol is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo47 View Post
^^ ive always been interested in this splitter. Might have to pick one up!
Ditto.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-12, 07:53 PM   #8
bzbuzz
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2011 STi WRB GRB
Fav Mod: Group N
My Subaru Parts for sale

bzbuzz is on a distinguished road

i think i posted same request on nasioc long ago. if you provide us more scientific data(temperature value and etc) to back up this theory i would buy it in a heart beat. I can't believe this helps any.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-12, 08:02 PM   #9
punchjamesarnol
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: 450+hp'10DGM_STI SE
Fav Mod: e85_Dom2.5xtr_ PHATRON TUNED
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

punchjamesarnol is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to think it helps during slow speed city driving. Heat soak's a B!=ch!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-12, 08:02 PM   #10
geddesk2
Advanced Mastery Level II

Car: 2006 STI WRB
Fav Mod: None yet!
My Subaru Parts for sale

geddesk2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the older STIs had a splitter because the aero of the hood and scoop required them to have one. I believe on our cars with the new hood design a splitter isn't necessary.

If it works then great, but its one of those things that is really tough to put hard facts around.

For 2 bills I would probably buy a larger heat shield, turbo blanket, and gold tape to stop what causes most of the heat soak and ultimately kills performance, having the turbo right under the IC.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement