Active Participant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: LR 10 STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ruffles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upgraded Turbo on Stock Internals

I want to get a head count on how many people are running an upgraded turbo on stock internals without any serious problems. Not including the supporting mods for them, such as FMIC, fuel pump, injectors, etc. Also, how many miles have you driven with the upgraded turbo and do you drive aggressively or conservatively? Do you track/autox the car? What turbo are you running? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, if so then could you move it to the correct one.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-11, 03:08 AM   #2
kyle82
Advanced Contributor Level 5

Car: White 09 STI-R
Fav Mod: CP Pistons :)
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

kyle82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm I'm looking to do that same !! Because I was thinking instead of doing internals first then upgrade turbo.. But I suppose you could just upgrade Turbo and wait for pistons to blow then do I internals. Makes sense that way doesn't it.. Lol
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-03-11, 03:13 AM   #3
armymechanic
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB STi
Fav Mod: Self built motor B*tches
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

armymechanic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Upgraded Turbo on Stock Internals

You are better off staying with the stock turbo, get some bolt-ons and a protune. If you have access to E85, you can make good power on stock turbo, and still be pretty reliable.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-11, 05:55 AM   #4
njStiWRB
Contributor

Car: WR Bue 11 WRX Sti
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

njStiWRB is an unknown quantity at this point

From what everybody answered above, I think we're trying say we don't want you to be part of the blown motor thread.

I asked my tuner to get me a bolt on stock placement upgraded turbo, and just tune it, and he simply told me "No" because he was interested in keeping my motor in one piece and retaining a happy customer. You NEED (not want) to do fueling upgrades along with upgraded / bigger turbo at the minimum. You're asking the motor to breath more air and produce more heat without cooling it adequately. Even a simple Stg 2 tune with stock turbo and dp should really look at upgraded injectors and fuel pump because at that power level, the stock injectors and pump are going to be pushed to max efficiency and you ALWAYS want headroom for added safety margin in the fueling to keep AFR and EGT temps at acceptable levels.

BTW, I was only trying to upgrade to a FP HTA68 with 8cm upgrade which in terms of upgraded turbos is a "milder" upgrade.

Just my $.02
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-03-11, 06:28 AM   #5
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

You need supporting mods and look in my journal for the list. I've been running a GT3582 at >400whp for the past 30,000 miles without any problems. It is a daily driver that sees redline mutiple times a day.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-03-11, 09:14 AM   #6
hairlesswookiee
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Cobb AccessPort Stage 1
My Subaru Parts for sale

hairlesswookiee is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1029 View Post
You need supporting mods and look in my journal for the list. I've been running a GT3582 at >400whp for the past 30,000 miles without any problems. It is a daily driver that sees redline mutiple times a day.
Very interesting. Will look at your thread. I'm pretty set on getting the newer Dom 1.5 this time next year.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-03-11, 01:24 PM   #7
gathermewool
Under Moderated
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Car: 14 FXT Touring
My Subaru Parts for sale

gathermewool is an unknown quantity at this point

Moved to 2.5L Factory Motor
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-03-11, 01:36 PM   #8
GA Scooby
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: Tarmac T2's!
My Subaru Parts for sale

GA Scooby is an unknown quantity at this point

You can do whatever you want to the car and with a great tune you shouldn't run in to a problem for a while. The ringlands will blow eventually, but it's not like if you install a new turbo with the supporting mods it's gonna blow up right when you turn it on. There are some that have been thousands of miles with tons of power at the wheels. Check out the Forged Performance STi and you'll see.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-03-11, 05:35 PM   #9
Ruffles
Active Participant

Car: LR 10 STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ruffles is an unknown quantity at this point

All great info. Is there anyone else like user 1029 that has been running an upgraded turbo on stock internals
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-03-11, 05:57 PM   #10
MSullySTI
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

MSullySTI is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey i just went to a dom 1.5 xtr with and e85 conversion. Stock internals on a new block. I had a rod bearing fail with only 10k miles on a stock car. After SOA rebuit my motor from a short block...10k in parts. I decided to go for stage 2. After 2 which was normal stage 2 requirements plus a tmic and protune i decided i wanted the saftey and performance of e85. After doing some research i decided to go with the dom 1.5 xtr stock location turbo. 1000cc injectors, cooler plugs, grimspeed bcs, perrin turbo inlet, tomei el headers and uppipe, and a new act clutch for the bigger power. The car is super stout and runs strong. My power levels are good. Ill let you know them if your interested but im not here to say my power is any better than anybody elses. Im trying to keep e85 in the car the whole time becuase it burns cooler and is safer for the stock internals. I run the car spirited but i am not hard on the car. Havent tracked the car yet as i have just got it back from TopSpeed. Will be taking on that challenge this summer.

Now yes there is always a chance for failure when you push increased power through the block. But its all about the tune. So do your research find a great tuner and take your time. All the best and have a good one.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement