Upgraded Turbo on Stock Internals - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Upgraded Turbo on Stock Internals
Upgraded Turbo on Stock Internals
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Upgraded Turbo on Stock Internals

Old 11-03-11, 10:29 PM   #11
rizaler
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: Aspen White 06 STi
Fav Mod: Dom 3.0 xtr
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

rizaler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Upgraded Turbo on Stock Internals

I ran a dom 3r for about 6 months, e85, perfect afr's, 406 to the wheels, blew a ring. Bought a rallispec block and after the lomg a grueling task of breaking it in, getting it tuned next week. Proly stay around 420. Your motor can blow at 7k with a stock turbo, its the game we play with these cars. I had an 08 wrx blow a ring at 5k. But like people have mentioned, do your research and pick a well reviewed tuned.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-11, 10:48 PM   #12
armymechanic

Car: 2005 WRB STi
Fav Mod: Self built motor B*tches
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

armymechanic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by njStiWRB View Post
From what everybody answered above, I think we're trying say we don't want you to be part of the blown motor thread.

I asked my tuner to get me a bolt on stock placement upgraded turbo, and just tune it, and he simply told me "No" because he was interested in keeping my motor in one piece and retaining a happy customer. You NEED (not want) to do fueling upgrades along with upgraded / bigger turbo at the minimum. You're asking the motor to breath more air and produce more heat without cooling it adequately. Even a simple Stg 2 tune with stock turbo and dp should really look at upgraded injectors and fuel pump because at that power level, the stock injectors and pump are going to be pushed to max efficiency and you ALWAYS want headroom for added safety margin in the fueling to keep AFR and EGT temps at acceptable levels.

BTW, I was only trying to upgrade to a FP HTA68 with 8cm upgrade which in terms of upgraded turbos is a "milder" upgrade.

Just my $.02
You my friend have a great tuner, who is it BTW? I cant stand shops that push stock motors too far after after "explaining the risk" to the customer, but the whole time knowing they will make big bucks to rebuild the motor later.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-03-11, 10:51 PM   #13
armymechanic

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Scooby View Post
You can do whatever you want to the car and with a great tune you shouldn't run in to a problem for a while. The ringlands will blow eventually, but it's not like if you install a new turbo with the supporting mods it's gonna blow up right when you turn it on. There are some that have been thousands of miles with tons of power at the wheels. Check out the Forged Performance STi and you'll see.
There are also cars that dont make it 1000 miles with a bigger turbo. Depends on the car, depends on the tuner. Bottom line is, if you have the money to build it, you will save money as opposed to letting it blow.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-11, 06:11 AM   #14
fuji_production
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: CGM STI
Fav Mod: tactrix+uego
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

fuji_production is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymechanic View Post
You are better off staying with the stock turbo, get some bolt-ons and a protune. If you have access to E85, you can make good power on stock turbo, and still be pretty reliable.

your contradicting yourself
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-11, 06:18 AM   #15
fuji_production

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Scooby View Post
You can do whatever you want to the car and with a great tune you shouldn't run in to a problem for a while. The ringlands will blow eventually, but it's not like if you install a new turbo with the supporting mods it's gonna blow up right when you turn it on. There are some that have been thousands of miles with tons of power at the wheels. Check out the Forged Performance STi and you'll see.
ringlands should never blow lol...AMR themselves have said that the stock motor can put out double its stock horsepower in its stock form. A good tune that runs safe afr's, egt's, and safe timing tables will ALWAYS net stock driveability, fuel economy, and safe performance.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-11, 07:02 AM   #16
armymechanic

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji_production View Post
ringlands should never blow lol...AMR themselves have said that the stock motor can put out double its stock horsepower in its stock form. A good tune that runs safe afr's, egt's, and safe timing tables will ALWAYS net stock driveability, fuel economy, and safe performance.
And this crap right here is what gives Subaru owners a false confidence. Shops that tell you this, are the same shops offering to build it after it blows.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-11, 07:33 AM   #17
fuji_production

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

just keep being the mechanic and ill be the engineer how about that?

as army personel you should know the impact of putting out false or bad information. please stop.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-11, 07:38 AM   #18
MSullySTI
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

MSullySTI is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree! The thing is if you want to make more power you run the risk of failure. You just have to have that in the back of your mind when you go bigger and have the cash stashed if you do run into issues. I hope you dont and are able to enjoy the car for many more miles!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-11, 08:54 AM   #19
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I've got a 20G on my STi running 93 octane currently. I will be switching to E85 this Spring, but I'm going to keep the power below the 400whp mark until I build a motor (already got a spare block). I haven't done much with this car this year as I've been helping others get their cars going.

I am my own tuner, so if I see an issue, I address it immediately. One of the places I find I have to put some extra time into is temperature compensations as weather changes (have to scale OL and CL MAF in one shot for base). This completely alleviates the need to have a "winter tune" and "summer tune". I've actually spent more time tuning friends cars this year than mine as I've been driving my Taurus SHO around more. I should have considerably more mileage on my 20G next year... I know I'm at a point where a ring land can go, but that's the game.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-11, 10:48 AM   #20
armymechanic

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji_production View Post
just keep being the mechanic and ill be the engineer how about that?

as army personel you should know the impact of putting out false or bad information. please stop.
I dont give a **** what you are, you obviously have zero experience on the subject and are reciting crap that you read. I speak from first hand experience only. PLease tell me your experience with cars over 400whp on stock block, and dont say this shop or that shop, I want personal experience. As I said before "engineer" when you let crap like this spill out of your mouth with such confidence, people actually believe it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement