#1 ·
hey guys i have an 06 wrx. installed all the mods myself

mods
cobb ap v2
stage 2 on 93
blitz short ram w/ mesh filter
anonymous divorce waste gate down pipe.
turbo xs 50/50 bov

the problem started when i tapped the filter. checking if it was firmly placed. then [COLOR=#f82c70 !important][COLOR=#f82c70 !important]engine light[/COLOR][/COLOR] came on w/ the cruise control blinking. a
code came up p0171b too lean. resetted the ecu to stock then back to stage 2. erased the code. the [COLOR=#f82c70 !important][COLOR=#f82c70 !important]car[/COLOR][/COLOR] started idling rough. afr is 17.9 .
drove it to my friends shop saw smoke coming out of the scoop. checked it
smoke is from the [COLOR=#f82c70 !important][COLOR=#f82c70 !important]turbo[/COLOR][/COLOR]. smoke is coming from the waste gate shaft and the crack between the down pipe and the turbo. then no power what so ever. checked the [COLOR=#f82c70 !important][COLOR=#f82c70 !important]maf sensor[/COLOR][/COLOR] its dirty as puck. cleaned it then afr reading came back to 14.6 . drove it back to my house to get the stock air box and bypass. the [COLOR=#f82c70 !important][COLOR=#f82c70 !important]car[/COLOR][/COLOR] suddenly died while crusing on nuetral. no [COLOR=#f82c70 !important][COLOR=#f82c70 !important]power steering[/COLOR][/COLOR] no engine just died while was crusing down a hill. i turned it back on. it turned on w/ no problem.
got to my house installed the stock air box and bypass. dorve the car for a while. drove like normal , power is back. but the turbo still smokes. the down pipe has a heat wrap. but the smoke is not coming from it. the heat wrap smokes when it gets wet. but now the smokes comes from the cracks and bolts. the smell is the same hwen the heat wrap gets wet and the smoke thats coming from the waste gate shaft. also the waste gate shaft is shiny like its wet, is that oil?

im back to stock air box, bypass. still stage 2.
why did it died out of no where? is it because i flashed the ecu a couple of times or the turbo is over heating?
is my turbo done for? please help

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm having a very hard time following this... I would remove the wrap. If you have smoke coming from multiple places you will never find it if the wrap is smoking to. The wrap is most likely smoking because it is being soaked from oil or coolant coming from somewhere else.

liquid on the waste gate could be coolant or oil. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between the two. touch it. If it feels slimy it's oil, smell it, if it smells sweet it's coolant. Your going to have to get your hands dirty and do some old fashioned diagnostics. Get under there with a flash light and look around.

06 Mitsu Imprezza? Really? :tdown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.