AEM Cold Air Intake review for GRB STI - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
AEM Cold Air Intake review for GRB STI
AEM Cold Air Intake review for GRB STI
Go Back   STI Forums > > > AEM Cold Air Intake review for GRB STI

Old 05-14-09, 04:03 PM   #1
SoCalMonarch
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Aspen 08 STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SoCalMonarch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AEM Cold Air Intake review for GRB STI

The Subaru WRX-STI has gone through a number of changes from the earlier models leading to the latest generation. One of those notable changes to the 2008+ (GRB) STI is the new twin-vein turbo that boosts the maximum 226.9 ft-lbs torque at the wheels just around 3300 RPMs. This is a commendable improvement upon the max 211.7 Ft-Lbs at 4400RPMs produced by the 2007 STI. Since the numbers from the dyno are increased, so are the expectations from those who enjoy tuning their Subarus.

As is common for most factory turbocharged cars, there is a torque lull just after the maximum spike where one might be let down that the initial punch of the STI doesnít seem to hold throughout the entire RPM range. Often times, when someone just looks at the advertised torque & horsepower gains of performance products, one might over look the other improvements that would be shown in overall performance. If enhancements are made to improve the airflow into the engine, not only will maximum torque rise, but even greater improvements will be noted in the torque curve where the factory setup starts to fall behind. Itís this crucial middle-to-top end of the power band where AEM has capitalized their expertise in modifications with a highly-tuned cold air intake.

The AEM cold air intake for the GRB STI offers a means for the Subaru to maintain the impressive power produced at low RPM range through the entire power band. According to AEMís dynographs, the cold air intake system provides a maximum gain of 36 horsepower and 35 ft-lbs torque at the wheels of the GRB STI, vastly dwarfing the return of any other intake system for the GRB.

Such results are definitely felt on the road. With the intake installed, up to about 3000 RPM performs just about the same but climbing past that is where a commendable amount of power is freed up. In 4th gear, the acceleration from 3500 to 6000 RPM is over a full second faster with AEMís intake installed. This responsiveness enables the Subaru to pack quite the punch at freeway speeds. While competing platforms typically walk away from the factory STI at high speeds, the intake enables the GRB to overtake cars that used to see the freeway as its forte.

Aside from the boost in performance, the AEM intake provides an audible difference that intimidates any that recognize the sound of a turbo spooling. The massive 9-inch micron filter is tucked into a compartment in the front-right fender with ducts supplying abundant airflow and allowing the sounds of the intake to be un-muffled. This causes the spool of the intake to scream like a Harrier at anyone along the side of the accelerating Subaru. The sound of the factory recirculation valve is also more vocalized and could even been mistaken for an aftermarket blow-off valve.

A noticeable trait of the intake systemís hardware is the crinkle-red powdercoated piping of the intake. Not only does this match the color of the STIís intake manifolds but it also repels heat from soaking through the pipe into the intake air charge. Additionally, a heat shield is supplied to separate the air filterís location from the rest of the engine bay. Beneath the heat shield is the massive Dryflow filter that uses no oils while filtering at an unparalleled 99.52% efficiency, providing the cleanest intake possible at the highest volume possible.

In the past, cold air intakes for turbocharged cars have been under criticism. There were complaints that the increased amount of airflow being measured by the mass airflow (MAF) sensor caused check engine lights. To address this problem, AEM has engineered a housing for the MAF sensor inside the intake piping that retains the same diameter as the factory intake, as well as an airflow straightener that ensures the airflow channels past the MAF sensor accurately. Since the MAF sensor does not see abnormality in the air intake mass, the engine management has no reason to illuminate the check engine light.

If no check engine lights are triggered with a vast increase in performance from a bolt-on upgrade does not sound appealing enough yet, another aspect to consider is that itís 50-state C.A.R.B. legal. If the local fuzz decides to take a look under the hood after hearing a screaming turbo spool, heíll be surprised to see thereís no reason for a modified-car ticket. With so many benefits from one enhancement, the AEM intake for the GRB is something that is greatly recommended for anyone with goals ranging from a better-than-stock streetcar to a fully built racecar.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-09, 04:22 PM   #2
BadTrainDriver
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2007 UGM STI
Fav Mod: Wife and son
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

BadTrainDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AEM Cold Air Intake review for GRB STI

Does the car need to be "tuned" to run the intake?

I'm at Stage 1 now...all stock except for Cobb AP.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-14-09, 04:27 PM   #3
flatthump
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: realtime
My Subaru Parts for sale

flatthump is on a distinguished road

OK Aem
Toby
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-09, 05:00 PM   #4
LJSTi
Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: Aspen White 08 STi
Fav Mod: Bone Stock
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

LJSTi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMonarch View Post
According to AEMís dynographs, the cold air intake system provides a maximum gain of 36 horsepower and 35 ft-lbs torque at the wheels of the GRB STI, vastly dwarfing the return of any other intake system for the GRB.
Reeeeeaaallllly? 36 HP to the wheels? Call me skeptical.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-14-09, 05:15 PM   #5
tshrey
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 08 STI
Fav Mod: Removing the window sticker
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

tshrey is on a distinguished road

This is a review? It sounds like you're quoting sales brochures.

36 hp? All it is doing is leaning out the tune.

I would like to know if anyone has ever had a stage 2 protune car and then a stage 2 with CAI protuned again. You always see people quoting an OTS stage 2 map versus a CAI with a protune and claiming the gains were the result of the intake.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-14-09, 05:21 PM   #6
jph
IWSTI Guru
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Car: the wagon
My Subaru Parts for sale

jph is an unknown quantity at this point

do you work for AEM?

that was not a review, but a sales pitch. where did you copy it from?

J.

Old 05-15-09, 08:55 AM   #7
linkbeat
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: '11 Evo GSR
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

linkbeat is an unknown quantity at this point

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-15-09, 09:46 AM   #8
RFFG
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

RFFG is on a distinguished road

Notables: 1990 Turbo Mustang / 2008 Impreza STI / 1998 Impreza GF8 / 2004 Impreza STI / 08 Lexus IS250 / 2009 Lexus IS250 / 06 Lexus IS250

(555
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-15-09, 10:46 AM   #9
SoCalMonarch
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I don't work for AEM, I actually work for a tuner magazine and I reviewed the part because AEM hadn't received a buyer's review on it.

Now as far as 36whp, that's according to AEM's dyno images already up on their site, if you think they're lying, ask them about it. All I said was it makes sense because the 2008 STI baseline has a huge power lull at the RPM that the intake provides a power spike. When the baseline curve and the mod-install curve are heading in two different directions, a big difference appears.

THE 36 HP IS NOT THE GAIN OVER MAXIMUM HP. You'll be lucky probably to see 12-15 whp difference between maximum HP numbers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-15-09, 10:48 AM   #10
SoCalMonarch
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver View Post
Does the car need to be "tuned" to run the intake?

I'm at Stage 1 now...all stock except for Cobb AP.
Honestly, the AP does a good job of negating the stock tuning's lack of power after max torque, so you'll see a gain of power, just not as profound as one would see one a completely stock STI.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement