Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Dark Grey 08 WRX STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

toobs124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AEM Cold Air

I got hooked up with a CAI from AEM today. Comes with a heat shield, and its wrinkle red!

One thing is for sure: THE STI IS THE EASIEST CAR YOU CAN INSTALL A CAI IN! (you dont have to remove the tire and get into the bumper, the resonator pulls right out of this HUUUUUGE hole going into the bumper).

Installed it in about 30 minutes (10 of it trying to get this one stock air filter bracket screw out). They use a dry flow filter, which is a bit different than what I used in my old civic about 10 years ago. I remember oiling up AEMs old cone filters, the new ones dont need any oil.

I can't really notice the power, the car is so quick stock its really hard to tell. I do notice the sound though. I can definitely hear the turbo spool up and the stock BOV. Turned a few heads today driving to the video store haha. Car sounds like a small airport now (woooooshhhh).

heres some links, not sure if these will work (i dont know how to post images on this site)

stiupgrades001.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

stiupgrades002.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last edited by toobs124; 08-20-08 at 05:03 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-08, 05:42 AM   #2
rmo55c
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 05 WRB STi
Fav Mod: PWT Points
My Subaru Parts for sale

rmo55c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AEM Cold Air

You will need to be tuned for this mod.

There is a reason the car doesn't feel any quicker, and that's because with just that intake it's probably running slower. The sti's (and especially the 08's) are extremely sensitive to modifications and typically require a tune after mods have been installed. This is definitely true in the case of a CAI. Check your AFR's with the CAI and I'm pretty sure you will be shocked
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-20-08, 06:00 AM   #3
toobs124
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmo55c View Post
You will need to be tuned for this mod.

There is a reason the car doesn't feel any quicker, and that's because with just that intake it's probably running slower. The sti's (and especially the 08's) are extremely sensitive to modifications and typically require a tune after mods have been installed. This is definitely true in the case of a CAI. Check your AFR's with the CAI and I'm pretty sure you will be shocked

AEM's R/D director told me I don't need a tune for this. Its definitely not running slower, but I just dont notice a massive increase in speed. Ive had 4 cars that Ive had these intakes in, and I could not notice a big enough difference although I know its there. (unless its a huge gain I just generally dont feel it, I try not to be fooled by the noise). He told me I wouldnt really feel a big difference until i manage the ECU. I dont plan to tune until i get my cobb TBE.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-08, 06:25 AM   #4
rmo55c
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobs124 View Post
AEM's R/D director told me I don't need a tune for this. Its definitely not running slower, but I just dont notice a massive increase in speed. Ive had 4 cars that Ive had these intakes in, and I could not notice a big enough difference although I know its there. (unless its a huge gain I just generally dont feel it, I try not to be fooled by the noise). He told me I wouldnt really feel a big difference until i manage the ECU. I dont plan to tune until i get my cobb TBE.
Of course a products director is going to tell you don't need to tune for his product. He wants to sell his product. But believe as you may - it's not my car. I'm just trying to save the trouble in the long run. A search through the forums will result in the same response I have already given you.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-20-08, 06:37 AM   #5
USNSTI
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Fav Mod: Buying a jeep
My Subaru Parts for sale

USNSTI is on a distinguished road

Harman did some testing and proved pretty convincingly that (on 07's) an intake the didn't change the diameter of the intake tubing was very safe to run and did produce small power gains untuned. AEM was one of the ones they tested and said it was ok.

https://www.iwsti.com/forums/engine-p...y-do-work.html

Open the first post, and click the link. You will learn a lot.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-20-08, 06:43 AM   #6
toobs124
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmo55c View Post
Of course a products director is going to tell you don't need to tune for his product. He wants to sell his product. But believe as you may - it's not my car. I'm just trying to save the trouble in the long run. A search through the forums will result in the same response I have already given you.

Oh, i didnt mean it like that bro! lol. I appreciate your feedback. As far as him selling his product, I got it for free haha. I made sure I didnt need a tune for the filter and he assured me I didn't (my cousin is the R/D guy). I remember they did alot of testing for this filter, I was trying to get one for months but they were testing on some other sti (jealous). They made sure you dont need a tune for this.

again I hope i didnt sound snooty, opinions are always welcome with me.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-20-08, 06:46 AM   #7
rmo55c
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobs124 View Post
Oh, i didnt mean it like that bro! lol. I appreciate your feedback. As far as him selling his product, I got it for free haha. I made sure I didnt need a tune for the filter and he assured me I didn't (my cousin is the R/D guy). I remember they did alot of testing for this filter, I was trying to get one for months but they were testing on some other sti (jealous). They made sure you dont need a tune for this.

again I hope i didnt sound snooty, opinions are always welcome with me.
Hey if it makes you happy, then do it. My opinion is just that an opinion. And no you weren't snooty, just wanted to make sure you knew other experiences.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-20-08, 07:21 AM   #8
File0711

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

File0711 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just installed the AEM CAI 3 days ago. I can definetly tell a difference in power, as well as sound. My Accessport is reading 14.5-15psi on idle and very slow acceleration. I have not gone WOT, but on half-way acceleration, I can get around 12-13. I think it's running a little lean.

I too have called AEM, and they said it will work with the stock tune (although I'm running stage 1). I'm getting pro-tuned next week after installing HM's Turboback. I plan to report numbers, although I have no base to compare to (so take it for what's it worth). I choose AEM becuase the chart possted on HM states 26whp increase. True or not, I believe higher the price typically better the product. But perhaps, I'm one of those customers that get suckered into marketing gimmicks.

I have not heard any pinging yet, but there is a weird whine when I get off the accelerator. Doesn't sound like detonation (hammer hitting the engine), but I turn my boos down with the AP, and am going real light on the throttle until next week.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-20-08, 08:25 AM   #9
bklynpanman
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: 08 STI WHITE ! ! !
Fav Mod: Meth
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bklynpanman is an unknown quantity at this point

you mean the A/F? not psi. the AP is NOT accurate for reading A/F.. get a wideband
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-20-08, 08:42 AM   #10
File0711

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

File0711 is an unknown quantity at this point

My bad. Yes I meant AFR. I have heard that the AP is not entirely accurate as well, but at this point it's the only gauge I have.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement