Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness
Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-08, 04:47 AM   #1
gmannarino
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: Silver 08 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
Posts: 67
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Mar 2008
gmannarino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

Before making any investment, I wanted to get some advice from others on replacing the stock TMIC on the 08 Sti. In particular, I am thinking about running a direct meth injection too. I had some work done from AMR (stage 1) and the car runs great. Looking at doing a stage 2 with them but am also considering replacing the stock TMIC with theirs. I'm not interested in going with a FMIC (too much tubing) but want to lower the intake charge as much as possible. Will an aftermarket TMIC be effective for this? Keeping in mind expandability. At some point I may replace the stock turbo with a slightly larger one - but not now.

I do not have a goal whp in mind. Just looking to make small, incremental modifications little at a time.

Thoughts?
gmannarino is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-06-08, 05:00 AM   #2
pisymbol
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Buddy
My Threads
Posts: 994
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NJ
pisymbol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

Absolutely. TMIC as you already know can go with one of AMR's bolt-ons (up to a point, the T60R has a 60lbs compressor wheel which can generate I believe up to 450whp (check with AMR)). With all turbo charging setups, one of your primary concerns is heat. There is a lot of heat generated as air molecules are forced into your intake manifold. As a result, parts like a TMIC go a long way in helping keeping the air cool which means more SAFER power. I always though a TMIC would only be helpful with the addition of a new turbo. I am wrong. Again cooler means safer and ultimately more power.

What are you really concerned about here?

Btw, for over 400whp I believe most will recommend a FMIC (its more of an active cooling unit instead of the more passive TM design, but having the TMIC as well is even better).

PM me if you have any more questions (I dropped my car off at AMR this week)!

Last edited by pisymbol; 08-06-08 at 05:03 AM.
pisymbol is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 05:11 AM   #3
JDM-STI
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
 
Car: 2005 & 2008 STI
Fav Mod: Scott Siegel Tuning!!!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Columbus, GA
JDM-STI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

A bigger TMIC is very effective as long as the car is moving. If you are in stop and go traffic during the hot months, It can take twice as long to cool the TMIC back down due to it having increased surface area that has been heat soaked. Hopefully since the 08 STI hood scoop is supposed to flow better than previous year models, a bigger heatsoaked TMIC will cool a little faster.
__________________
2008 STI Aspen White/Gold BBS~305whp/369wtq
Tuned by Scott Siegel
JDM-STI is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-06-08, 05:20 AM   #4
WRXGuyInUSA
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Car: 08 WRB STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
WRXGuyInUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

Keep in mind, the '08 TMIC is already bigger than previous years... and just running a stage II set-up you probably won't see a tremendous difference. If you're going to use meth, the cooling effect of the meth injection more than makes up the difference an aftermarket TMIC would produce.
WRXGuyInUSA is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 05:53 AM   #5
Mack
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
 
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Oct 2005
Mack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuyInUSA View Post
Keep in mind, the '08 TMIC is already bigger than previous years... and just running a stage II set-up you probably won't see a tremendous difference. If you're going to use meth, the cooling effect of the meth injection more than makes up the difference an aftermarket TMIC would produce.
While it is larger than previous generations, is it still a tube and fin design?

If so, an aftermarket bar and plate would still provide less flow restriction while giving you a larger cooling area and more heat absorption. This will all

I am not sure who has produced an 08 specific TMIC yet, but I am partial to the design of the Spearco units. They are some of the highest quality units I have seen.

TurnInConcepts and P&L Motorsports can help you source a Spearco TMIC.
Mack is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 05:57 AM   #6
WRXGuyInUSA
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Car: 08 WRB STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
WRXGuyInUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerton View Post
While it is larger than previous generations, is it still a tube and fin design?

If so, an aftermarket bar and plate would still provide less flow restriction while giving you a larger cooling area and more heat absorption. This will all

I am not sure who has produced an 08 specific TMIC yet, but I am partial to the design of the Spearco units. They are some of the highest quality units I have seen.

TurnInConcepts and P&L Motorsports can help you source a Spearco TMIC.
Of course it will be an improvement... but a small one. The stock turbo just isn't pushing enough airflow to really be a huge problem at stage II levels, and again... the meth injection will MORE than make up the difference.
WRXGuyInUSA is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 06:02 AM   #7
Mack
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
 
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Oct 2005
Mack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

But a less restricting design can get you and extra PSI or two with no extra turbo work.

That means cooler charge air to begin with, along with a higher peak psi for the same amount of exhaust flow.

That, IMHO, is the main benefit.


The increased material in a bar and plate design also absorbs more heat, which is another huge benefit, since ICs act more as heat sink than actual air coolers.
Mack is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 06:05 AM   #8
sutter2k
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Car: Blk,2010, BMW 335i
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Willow Grove PA
sutter2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuyInUSA View Post
Keep in mind, the '08 TMIC is already bigger than previous years... and just running a stage II set-up you probably won't see a tremendous difference. If you're going to use meth, the cooling effect of the meth injection more than makes up the difference an aftermarket TMIC would produce.
To add to what he said.
Some of the bigger units don't actually cool better, they are just bigger and less restrictive. However, if the cool the same but flow better you have some gains. Or you'll have gains since the meth will do the cooling and your tmic won't be as restrictive.
sutter2k is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 06:09 AM   #9
WRXGuyInUSA
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Car: 08 WRB STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
WRXGuyInUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerton View Post
But a less restricting design can get you and extra PSI or two with no extra turbo work.

That means cooler charge air to begin with, along with a higher peak psi for the same amount of exhaust flow.

That, IMHO, is the main benefit.


The increased material in a bar and plate design also absorbs more heat, which is another huge benefit, since ICs act more as heat sink than actual air coolers.
You have it reversed, actually... a larger capacity intercooler will produce MORE turbo lag and take longer to reach full boost... the boost pressure will only be as high as the wastegate or boost controller allow, that is not decided by intercooler size or efficiency.

It is WORSE to have an intercooler that is too large for the set-up you're running... and with the stock turbo, all it does is produce more lag with a "slight" increase in top end power... to me, less lag is more important than an extra 5-10hp.
WRXGuyInUSA is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 06:12 AM   #10
Mack
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
 
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Oct 2005
Mack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuyInUSA View Post
You have it reversed, actually... a larger capacity intercooler will produce MORE turbo lag and take longer to reach full boost... the boost pressure will only be as high as the wastegate or boost controller allow, that is not decided by intercooler size or efficiency.

It is WORSE to have an intercooler that is too large for the set-up you're running... and with the stock turbo, all it does is produce more lag with a "slight" increase in top end power... to me, less lag is more important than an extra 5-10hp.
You are correct in your thinking, if all things were to reamin the same. But they don't.

Tube and Fin intercoolers are inherently more restrictive than a bar and plate. That is where the benefits are seen.
Mack is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help? More

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.