Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness
Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

Old 08-06-08, 07:15 AM   #11
WRXGuyInUSA
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 08 WRB STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

WRXGuyInUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aftermarket TMIC effectiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerton View Post
You are correct in your thinking, if all things were to reamin the same. But they don't.

Tube and Fin intercoolers are inherently more restrictive than a bar and plate. That is where the benefits are seen.
I'm not disagreeing that they're not more efficient... I'm simply saying with a near stock set-up, it's a small gain for what you're paying, and the meth injection is probably all that is needed. With an aftermarket turbo, I would absolutely install one.

And the only benefit you will see, is the ability to have more dense air at higher RPMS, because it is cooled more efficiently, giving you a slight HP increase with the stock turbo.

(Just so you know, I had a V7 STI engine in my bug-eye and saw the change when switching from the STI intercooler, to the MRT Bar-and-Plate large top-mount... it was minimal)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-08, 08:45 AM   #12
Garrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Garrett is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuyInUSA View Post
I'm not disagreeing that they're not more efficient... I'm simply saying with a near stock set-up, it's a small gain for what you're paying, and the meth injection is probably all that is needed. With an aftermarket turbo, I would absolutely install one.

And the only benefit you will see, is the ability to have more dense air at higher RPMS, because it is cooled more efficiently, giving you a slight HP increase with the stock turbo.

(Just so you know, I had a V7 STI engine in my bug-eye and saw the change when switching from the STI intercooler, to the MRT Bar-and-Plate large top-mount... it was minimal)

But for those who start modifying their engines by spending their money first on distressing and efficiency. An aftermarket TMIC might be a good place to start.

Question is, is there any information (flow rate, etc) for TMIC for the GR's ...?

-Garrett
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-08, 08:51 AM   #13
WRXGuyInUSA
Advanced Mastery Level II

Car: 08 WRB STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

WRXGuyInUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
But for those who start modifying their engines by spending their money first on distressing and efficiency. An aftermarket TMIC might be a good place to start.

Question is, is there any information (flow rate, etc) for TMIC for the GR's ...?

-Garrett
Sure, but the OP said he wants to run stage 2 levels, with possibly adding meth injection.

I'm simply giving advice based on a case-by-case basis, answering the question based on what HE wants from his car. I stated many times that they ARE more efficient, but with STOCK turbo at stage 2 levels.... the gain is going to be minimal, especially with meth injection, which will do most of the cooling at high loads...

Of course they're better if you have big plans... but that's not his intention, and not what he asked.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-08, 09:19 AM   #14
gmannarino
Contributor

Car: Silver 08 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

gmannarino is an unknown quantity at this point

He is correct with my intentions. Why spend upwards of $800 on a TMIC if the gains are relatively minor AND there is not detriment to running the car - but certainly understand others POV.

What is compelling is that I may be able to run the meth on the stock setup(including the Stage 2) from what many have been saying. That and a custom tune to go with it.

Don't stop now. Keep feeding me more info/advice. Good stuff.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-08, 10:03 AM   #15
muller_777
pwn n00bs
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Car: '18 CBS STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

muller_777 will become famous soon enough

meth will help no matter what, so keep that in mind.

a larger tmic will help and if you do plan to go with a slightly larger turbo, then i would upgrade the tmic to flow more.
like jdm sti said, it's the stop and go traffic that kills it...you need to cover as much as possible for heat retention.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-08, 10:11 AM   #16
mattjk
Account Inactive

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mattjk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmannarino View Post
Before making any investment, I wanted to get some advice from others on replacing the stock TMIC on the 08 Sti. In particular, I am thinking about running a direct meth injection too. I had some work done from AMR (stage 1) and the car runs great. Looking at doing a stage 2 with them but am also considering replacing the stock TMIC with theirs. I'm not interested in going with a FMIC (too much tubing) but want to lower the intake charge as much as possible. Will an aftermarket TMIC be effective for this? Keeping in mind expandability. At some point I may replace the stock turbo with a slightly larger one - but not now.

I do not have a goal whp in mind. Just looking to make small, incremental modifications little at a time.

Thoughts?
any larger top mount that is spec'd to flow higher than the stock will be fine, however Ive never seen an aftermarket unit seal as well as stock. you lose efficiency there. I would go with one that is the same width and depth so you can utilize the stock gasket, but find one that has a very thick core. Id rather have cooling.

my stock mr2 turbo intercooler, while it was big enough for the power level I was at, it did not get enough air. I measured the output temp with my fluke meter. at the end of the quarter, charge temps were over 190 degrees F. when i replaced the side panel with a temp scoop, temps got down to 110.

going larger side to side is just wasting space if it's not getting cool air. you're trading off flow for cooling.

Last edited by mattjk; 08-06-08 at 10:35 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-08, 10:31 AM   #17
gmannarino
Contributor

Car: Silver 08 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

gmannarino is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the TMIC in question.

Auto Master of Westchester - Home of the Worlds Highest Horsepower Stock ECU Daily Driven STi
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-08, 10:34 AM   #18
pisymbol
Developing Advanced Mastery

Fav Mod: Buddy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

pisymbol is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuyInUSA View Post
You have it reversed, actually... a larger capacity intercooler will produce MORE turbo lag and take longer to reach full boost... the boost pressure will only be as high as the wastegate or boost controller allow, that is not decided by intercooler size or efficiency.
Well again it depends right? It depends on the flow of the TMIC and the amount of heat it really dissipates. In general, the longer the air has to flow through the TMIC, the more turbo lag to reach boost so I agree with that.

But as others have said, a really good TMIC can help with the heat (when moving, that was a good point) which is always a good thing (albeit with his setup may have little gains).

In general I think the advice should be TMIC or FMIC or both if you plan to do a turbo swap otherwise you spend your money somewhere else.

Quote:
It is WORSE to have an intercooler that is too large for the set-up you're running... and with the stock turbo, all it does is produce more lag with a "slight" increase in top end power... to me, less lag is more important than an extra 5-10hp.
I agree 100%.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-19-08, 07:30 PM   #19
bklynpanman
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: 08 STI WHITE ! ! !
Fav Mod: Meth
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bklynpanman is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my meth installed the other day.. Getting tuned monday.. i have the harman TBE and stock topmount.. Will post results monday.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-19-08, 08:15 PM   #20
spongebobnopants

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

spongebobnopants is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder how much better heat shielding over the DP would help.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement