UPDATED 03/03/10: Planning a turbo build? This is roughly what it will cost you. - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
UPDATED 03/03/10: Planning a turbo build? This is roughly what it will cost you.
UPDATED 03/03/10: Planning a turbo build? This is roughly what it will cost you.
Go Back   STI Forums > > > UPDATED 03/03/10: Planning a turbo build? This is roughly what it will cost you.

Old 11-25-07, 11:11 AM   #1
TheLimitedProject
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Fav Mod: APS/Crawford/Cosworth/Aquamist
My Subaru Parts for sale

TheLimitedProject is on a distinguished road
Default UPDATED 03/03/10: Planning a turbo build? This is roughly what it will cost you.

Newly updated, 03/03/10:
- I've again updated the spreadsheets to account for new or changed pricing, and to account for new kits that are now offered.

- Unfortunately, I think Full-Race was painted in an expensive light when they first came on the Subaru scene because of their presumed "high" pricing. However, the cattle on the forums didn't delve deeper into their pricing and realize that it included so much more than the regular, mediocre run of the mill kits on the market.

- Now, Full-Race has dropped their pricing. On top of that, as people will see below, for what you get (twinscroll, FR's manifold and UP, twin Tial 38mm MV-S WG's), for the bit extra that FR costs over the cheap kits (P&L, Perrin, Crawford) and the more well known kits (APS, UR, AMS) it's foolish IMO not to save a bit more and get the quality.

- I separated the 40R kits from the 35R kits. You can draw your own conclusions, but the UR singlescroll 40R "kit" is the biggest joke I've seen. I'm not sure if they made a mistake, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they've mistakenly screwed up either the price, or what's offered at the price. Their twinscroll offering is expensive as well, and not near the quality (IMO) that Full-Race is.

- One last note: I didn't bother updating the small turbo kit pricing. It wasn't worth the time or effort. The conclusion of that spreadsheet still stands - starting from scratch, the price difference between a stock location turbo and a rotated setup is negligible. The various turbos are all priced in the same region (Blouch's new stuff, FP's stuff, ATP stuff...) so adjust accordingly.

Quote:
Disclaimers:
1) What is below is MSRP website pricing. Everything is assuming you purchase it brand new from a vendor without getting a deal.

2) My bottom line for each turbo kit is an estimation. That isn't the final number. Discounts and sales will lower the cost, but the cost of tuning, miscellaneous costs, and unlisted hardware/tuning/hourly fees etc are
not exact so that could and will raise the price.
- Sales, specials, shipping, tax etc is not factored in.
- Labour costs are an estimate, but some people would do it themselves, and others would rather have a shop do it. Add that cost in if it applies to you.

3) Each person will choose different parts manufacturers for things like intakes, intercoolers, BOV's, so I've taken a rough estimate of each part cost favoring towards the higher end products (eBay buyers will save a lot more than the prices I listed).

4) For the big turbo builds, top end motor work 'should' be done as well, but it's not a necessity. If applicable, add in the cost of cams, new valves, springs, retainers, head work, all block hardware etc, and labour to the cost (roughly $5,000-8,000 w/ install)

Quote:
Things of note:
1) Stock mount turbos come in, on average, only around $715 cheaper than rotated mount kits, BUT add in the cost of an EWG setup, and the price difference in negligible. Therefore, the price difference between rotated mount turbos and stock mount turbos after adding everything is moot. It's a matter of preference and how much you want to gain from the setup.
- The reason most people believe staying stock mount is cheaper is because most people usually buy a TBE, intake and EM first. So, they look at having to buy a rotated DP and intake again and that adds to the cost.

2) I added in an
Quote:
estimated labour cost of 15 hours @ $90. That's an estimate so it could be a lot more or a lot less depending on how complicated the build is and if there are any problems.

I am not affiliated with any company. I made these spreadsheets on my own time while I was planning my build a couple of years ago, and have periodically updated them.

Hope this helps you guys spend your money wisely

Last edited by TheLimitedProject; 03-03-10 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Updated
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-07, 11:15 AM   #2
QuickSilverSTi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Car: '08 GT500
My Subaru Parts for sale

QuickSilverSTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning a big turbo build? This is roughly how much it's going to cost you...

Man, I try to never think of the cost of this stuff. I may have to add you to by block list now

Current: '08 Shelby GT500. JLT CAI, Evolution Jon Lund street tune, pulley, Afco heat exchanger: 582rwhp/555rwtq ; H&R sways, FRPP springs, adj panhard rod, QA1 rear shocks, 3.73 gears.

SOLD : '04 STi: FP green Nismo 740cc injectors APS DR525 FMIC, APS 70mm CAI APS turbo inlet Koyo radiator APS header Car Labs X-brace RCE camber plates KW V3 coilovers ARfab crank damper ACPT carbon driveshaft, etc. Agile ProTune 400/400
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-25-07, 11:53 AM   #3
blindfold
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

blindfold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Planning a big turbo build? This is roughly how much it's going to cost you...

and then add $1000 for just-case-it-breaks situations.

how do you apply different colors to cells in Excel? Looks great.

ProperFitment Crew Member #5

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-07, 12:00 PM   #4
YeloFva
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: 2016 VW Golf R
My Subaru Parts for sale

YeloFva is on a distinguished road

Man that is a great write up/spread sheet. You have also discouraged me from ever upgrading my turbo. My wallet said thank you

2003 Sonic Yellow WRX - R.I.P.
2006 WRB Subaru STI - SOLD
2006 AW Subaru STI - SOLD
2016 VW Golf R
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-25-07, 12:03 PM   #5
TIMELESS
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Fav Mod: HKS Kansai Diffuser Prodrive GC-010E 18x9.5 et25 Wrong Fitment Crew #91
My Subaru Parts for sale

TIMELESS is an unknown quantity at this point

crazy to see how much things cost...and this is only the engine we're talking about as opposed to other things we mod from the car
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-25-07, 12:21 PM   #6
TheLimitedProject

My Subaru Parts for sale

^Yeah guys, crazy eh? Just pure power modifications.

This is mainly for big turbo builds though. The word on the street is that for 30R sized turbos - GT52, Dom II, Dom III, FP Green, APS SR56 - those 52-56lb/min turbos don't really require a built bottom end if you have a good tune. It's obviously still a good idea since it will be on the edge.

What I found interesting was how close Full-Race was price-wise to UR when all was said and done, and how APS was so much more expensive. Personally, I'd never, ever consider the Perrin kit, but it is a popular name out there so I figured I should include it.

ps. I was pretty conservative with the built block $$
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-25-07, 12:27 PM   #7
blindfold
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

blindfold is on a distinguished road

for 3500 range, you are getting only forged rods and pistons.

Would big turbo build require a sleeved block? Not sure how strong the stock sleeves are...

ProperFitment Crew Member #5

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-25-07, 12:29 PM   #8
srt42sti
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

srt42sti is on a distinguished road

you should really include a tbe price on all the kits as there is no way youd want to run the stock set up on any of these
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-25-07, 12:32 PM   #9
TheLimitedProject

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindfold View Post
for 3500 range, you are getting only forged rods and pistons.

Would big turbo build require a sleeved block? Not sure how strong the stock sleeves are...
Probably require new sleeves as well. That's bumps things up a bit too... but some might stick with just rods and pistons so I guess that's another thing to factor in on an individual build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt42sti View Post
you should really include a tbe price on all the kits as there is no way youd want to run the stock set up on any of these
Well, I did for the APS listing, but the others all include a DP. So really, it'd be adding in a CB of at least a 3" diameter.
Factor in another $500-800?

edit: I added in a CBE for $600. This is getting more painful by the second

Last edited by TheLimitedProject; 11-25-07 at 12:38 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-25-07, 12:59 PM   #10
Datadatum
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 05 STi + 08 RS4
My Subaru Parts for sale

Datadatum is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for putting this together.

You must be either an accountant or an engineer.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement