Turbo oil-feed / AVCS line replacement - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Turbo oil-feed / AVCS line replacement
Turbo oil-feed / AVCS line replacement
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Turbo oil-feed / AVCS line replacement

Old 12-23-07, 08:27 AM   #41
STIFun
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 97 Supra TT BPU+++
Fav Mod: Racelogic TC system
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIFun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turbo oil-feed / AVCS line replacement

So what is the verdict will or will they not replace this part under warranty as my car has 46K and would really like to know before I call the dealer.

Mods: BPU+++

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-07, 10:12 AM   #42
Dstretch33
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Fav Mod: Hks Hi-power
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Dstretch33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckshaw View Post
Add me to the list. Mine cracked about a week ago. 05 STi with about 43,000 miles on it. Subaru is replacing it under warranty.
Well they didnt replace mine, I think u should im puckshaw. My car had 54k on it when I went to the dealer. It was completely stock, besides lowering springs. They told me it was a wear item.....
I hate thieves with a passion!member #001
Flickr

Follow Automotive Dominance
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-23-07, 04:46 PM   #43
josh06wrx
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: 06 wrx & 06 sti
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

josh06wrx is on a distinguished road

the kit here fits and works great. i had to use 2 copper gaskets on the back of the block between the banjo and block and i would deff get a 14" instead of a 16" piece for the AVCS line. takes about 30min to install assuming you leave the line running under the manifold. to remove it completely you would have to remove the manifold.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-07, 12:53 PM   #44
Sti491
Silver Member

Car: 04 JBP WRX STi
Fav Mod: ProTune by Hill at Agile
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Sti491 is on a distinguished road

I wonder how many hardline failures there are like this? Is this worth doing as a preventative measure on OEM stock turbo, or wait until it fails... sounds like the failures reported here gave enough smoke warning so turbo doesn't seize up? Wonder if oil fire is a possibility so near the hot turbo?

Great write up BTW. Thanks!
'04 JBP Cobb Stage II Protuned by Hill at Agile 340WTQ, 329WHP, RPS clutch, Cobb sf intake w/SPT ducted sheild, Prodrive EBS, colder plugs, STi short shifter kit with Cobb SS lever, KB bushings, Hotchkis sways, KB links, Whiteline steering bushings & ALK, group N's, Konis, RCE V2 ylw springs, fender braces, Tein FSB, RE 760/HB Tarmac 3 18's, ATE Superblue, Autometer pod, Defi boost guage, boost activated intercooler spray mod, relocated spray button to console by shifter, wingless VIS CF trunk.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-24-07, 09:41 PM   #45
SUPERLOUDSTI
Account Inactive

Fav Mod: 05BLACKSTI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SUPERLOUDSTI is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Turbo oil-feed / AVCS line replacement

Do I have to change mine 05 STI?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-26-07, 10:58 PM   #46
boostedrex05
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Driver.
My Subaru Parts for sale

boostedrex05 is on a distinguished road

they really only get messed up from bending them to fit with larger turbos better. you can braze the line to fix it it's easy to do. small torch and brazing rod.

But these lines do look sweet.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-27-07, 12:33 PM   #47
fourseasonsandles
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: EFI Logics!
My Subaru Parts for sale

fourseasonsandles will become famous soon enoughfourseasonsandles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstretch33 View Post
Well they didnt replace mine, I think u should im puckshaw. My car had 54k on it when I went to the dealer. It was completely stock, besides lowering springs. They told me it was a wear item.....
Your dealer is a moron. This oil line is not a wear item. Oil lines arent supposed to wear over time and crack like this. Brakes wear, clutches wear and tires wear, oil lines do not and your tech needs a good slap in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sti491 View Post
I wonder how many hardline failures there are like this? Is this worth doing as a preventative measure on OEM stock turbo, or wait until it fails... sounds like the failures reported here gave enough smoke warning so turbo doesn't seize up? Wonder if oil fire is a possibility so near the hot turbo?

Great write up BTW. Thanks!
FWIW, I smelled the oil. I made sure to check it every day before my parts came. I didnt drop any oil that was noticable on the dip stick in that matter of time. This isnt to say it isnt possible, but I think if you pay attention to your car, you will notice something is wrong and get it fixed before it becomes a major issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedrex05 View Post
they really only get messed up from bending them to fit with larger turbos better. you can braze the line to fix it it's easy to do. small torch and brazing rod.

But these lines do look sweet.
My turbo has never been taken out of the car or moved for any reason. As far as I know, the same can be said for lurkers. I don’t think it is coincidence we both had the same crack in the same location. This is a manufacture defect in the piping. Swapping the lines now could save you the headache, but there is no guarantee that you are going to get this crack in the first place.

I never would have known I had the crack until I started smelling burning oil and went looking. Even then, it wasn’t until I pulled the line that I could actually see the crack.

Last edited by fourseasonsandles; 12-27-07 at 12:37 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-27-07, 02:52 PM   #48
Dstretch33

Fav Mod: Hks Hi-power
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Dstretch33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourseasonsandles View Post
Your dealer is a moron. This oil line is not a wear item. Oil lines arent supposed to wear over time and crack like this. Brakes wear, clutches wear and tires wear, oil lines do not and your tech needs a good slap in the face.

FWIW, I smelled the oil. I made sure to check it every day before my parts came. I didnt drop any oil that was noticable on the dip stick in that matter of time. This isnt to say it isnt possible, but I think if you pay attention to your car, you will notice something is wrong and get it fixed before it becomes a major issue.

My turbo has never been taken out of the car or moved for any reason. As far as I know, the same can be said for lurkers. I donít think it is coincidence we both had the same crack in the same location. This is a manufacture defect in the piping. Swapping the lines now could save you the headache, but there is no guarantee that you are going to get this crack in the first place.

I never would have known I had the crack until I started smelling burning oil and went looking. Even then, it wasnít until I pulled the line that I could actually see the crack.

If this is a manufacturers defect, is there any place we can file a complaint? Or are we just assed out until Subaru steps up to the plate, and puts out a service bulletin? The dealer I went to quoted me $625, for parts and labor. This thread just saved me almost 500 bucks, and I noticed several other people experiencing similar leaks. I hope that other dealers replace the lines under warranty.
I hate thieves with a passion!member #001
Flickr

Follow Automotive Dominance
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-07, 10:37 AM   #49
josh06wrx
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: 06 wrx & 06 sti
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

josh06wrx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstretch33 View Post
If this is a manufacturers defect, is there any place we can file a complaint? Or are we just assed out until Subaru steps up to the plate, and puts out a service bulletin? The dealer I went to quoted me $625, for parts and labor. This thread just saved me almost 500 bucks, and I noticed several other people experiencing similar leaks. I hope that other dealers replace the lines under warranty.
it should cost about 100, less if you find the parts locally. just get a shorter line to make it fit better like i stated earlier also.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-07, 11:20 AM   #50
Justin B
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Justin B is on a distinguished road

Add me to the list of a cracked oil feed line... exact same spot as Ultimate Lurkers line. My car has about 48k miles on it too.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement