2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]* - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*
2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > 2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*

Old 08-27-11, 11:22 AM   #81
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Fav Mod: BIG MEATY TIRES
My Subaru Parts for sale

Deek will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support (metal on metal squeak)...

I'm sure their welds held on, I just don't think that the issue originated from where they thought. Back to the drawing board, I'll update again Monday after discussion with the dealer service manager and SOA rep.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-11, 11:50 AM   #82
STEye
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Car: '08 DGM STI
Fav Mod: Myself
My Subaru Parts for sale

STEye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support (metal on metal squeak)...

I had a rear squeak in my car, it turned out to be the rear seat upper locking mechanism. Extremely annoying!
The Hoff Fan Club, member #002 - I'm part of the L33T crew!

Previous: '05 CGM STi
Current: '08 DGM STI + '12 Impreza Limited ISM
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-27-11, 06:13 PM   #83
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

So being incredibly fed up with this while situation, hell bound to find the root cause, Tom (mnym8kr) and I went for some test drives over some crappy roads earlier to try to get to the bottom of this. I'll elaborate on that later, probably with videos if they're viable, but for now the short of it is that there is a chance we've found the source.... The hatch damper & support.

... to be continued.

Last edited by Deek; 08-28-11 at 07:47 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-11, 09:14 PM   #84
swedishSTile
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 09 Basalt Blk Cayman
Fav Mod: ENDRtune
My Subaru Parts for sale

swedishSTile is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW man, Im without words. Sorry to hear that. I think its time for them to buy your car back and issue you a new one!

Fingers remain crossed for you, good luck!

Disconnect the dampers and go over your 3/4" bump. If they are squeaking that should tell you.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-28-11, 12:05 AM   #85
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Here is a 10 minute video from our one hour test drive. I edited it down to get the squeak's 'greatest hits'.

http://www.youtube.com/v/e6FpU2Mj1AM

After our drive earlier we went to Tom's house and started looking at possible causes. We removed all plastics from the hatch door and with it closed, he took an orbital buffer to the exterior and nothing major was audible. So we opened the hatch and he took the buffer to interior surfaces. We noticed an absolutely obnoxious rattle coming from the passenger side of the hatch door. I grabbed a hold of the damper while he applied pressure with the buffer and the rattle stopped.

The passenger side hatch damper had a lot of play in it, and the rubber bushing around the mount on the chassis seems to be worn because when I moved it there was a metal-on-metal clanking. There was also a clanking coming from the joint on the hatch door. I tried the same with the driver side hatch damper and it was much more solid on the chassis, but still had a clanking on the hatch door... however much less noticeable.

We removed both dampers and put them in his garage with the plastics from the hatch door and went for another drive. Hitting the same bump that causes the squeak to occur every day for me, yielded no squeak this time... Hmm, I better do a u-turn and do that again just to be sure... nope, no squeak. Daww, OK once more for funsies... sweet, no squeak! I don't want to celebrate prematurely but it seems we may have found the cause.

Tomorrow, we're going to go on another plasticless-damperless-hatch-door drive while the car is cool (it's 110~ right now) to make sure the metals weren't just more pliable and not squeaking because it was warm. If it doesn't squeak, I'll be more optimistic.

I should note that it is likely we're on to something here, because when the service manager was diagnosing the issue he said that he got the squeak to stop by having one of his techs wedge a screw driver between the layers in the roof near the hatch (see first pic in post #33 for reference). In order for his tech to do this, the hatch would have to be open, furthermore I'm sure they were holding it open if they were driving with someone in the hatch so it didn't close on him. This would relieve pressure from the damper, thus preventing the squeak. We'll see though, only time will tell where this goes.

I will say that we're going to get some adhesive foam & felt from Home Depot, or whatever artsy-fartsy store we have around here, to keep the plastic panels on the hatch door from rattling so much... they sound awful all on their own.

More updates will be posted as I have them.

BTW, thanks again Tom... your help is greatly appreciated, sir.

Last edited by Deek; 08-28-11 at 07:48 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-28-11, 11:49 AM   #86
m00m00w4t3r
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 08 AW STi
Fav Mod: '15 STi Steering Rack
My Subaru Parts for sale

m00m00w4t3r is on a distinguished road

nice...date palm does have some crappy road. Another section would be on ramon between da vall and bob hope. the road seems worse than date palm...it should be used as a final testing lol
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-28-11, 02:32 PM   #87
swedishSTile
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 09 Basalt Blk Cayman
Fav Mod: ENDRtune
My Subaru Parts for sale

swedishSTile is an unknown quantity at this point

At least the damper wont take weeks on end to fix

Hope that is the problem and everything gets fixed zip-zoom
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-28-11, 04:15 PM   #88
OhioTrojan
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 08 Dark Grey WRX STi
Fav Mod: Stage 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

OhioTrojan is an unknown quantity at this point

great work guys, keep us posted...i love everything about my gr except hard plastics and rear hatch squeek!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-28-11, 04:39 PM   #89
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Today Tom and I went for another drive after the car had some time to 'cool off' in my garage overnight. I drove over "the bump" that was 'featured' in the last 30~ seconds of the video clip and didn't get a squeak.

We drove to Lowes to pick up some of this stuff to put on the rear plastics when we reinstall them.

We hit "the bump" again on the way and we didn't get a squeak, which is good.

I'm going to leave the panels and dampers off and bring our findings to the dealer service manager on Monday. If this turns out to be the root cause and we were able to properly diagnose it by thinking out of the box, as opposed to blindly throwing parts and invasive repairs at it... I'm going to be a little less than pleased and feel that Subaru should reimburse me (see; do something to restore my customer loyalty and faith) somehow. I don't know what or how, but... something. Do you guys think that's unrealistic?

Last edited by Deek; 08-28-11 at 05:09 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-28-11, 06:33 PM   #90
mnym8kr
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Tanabe CBE
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mnym8kr is an unknown quantity at this point

Good job editing the video, please excuse my finger for wandering over the microphone a few times. I'm excited.....for now it seems we found the problem, only time and more miles will tell.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement