2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]* - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > 2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 07-22-11, 06:58 AM   #31
V10Climber
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: DGM 08 STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

V10Climber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support...

Interesting... Definitely keep us updated I'd love to see some pics of what is going on. I've got some metal on metal squeaking that I can't quite tell where it's coming from. Hopefully not something like this...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-11, 10:43 AM   #32
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Fav Mod: BIG MEATY TIRES
My Subaru Parts for sale

Deek will become famous soon enough

Not that I want others to be experiencing this issue, but if anyone is... please get it checked out and let me know what is found via PM. If there is a similar issue with multiple cars, there might be something here to bite onto. Not really trying to sound malicious, but this is more than an annoyance, welds breaking could potentially turn into a pretty serious safety hazard.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-11, 12:20 PM   #33
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Just returned from my trip to the dealer and 3rd party body shop. I'm a bit more optimistic and a little less concerned about the extent of the repairs, not quite out of the water yet though.

Click images for larger views.

This first picture shows the different layers of the roof and cross-member that is welded to it, this is what's rubbing together and squeaking;

This picture here shows the spot welds that could potentially be the culprit;

The manager of the body shop is someone who I've worked with before, and said this was an issue they'd have to "kind of throw things at the wall and see what stuck." I let him and the service manager (more-so the service manager) know that I understand they're caught in the middle of this whole ordeal, but if this turns into a situation where I'm without the car for extended periods of time, numerous times, that this issue would become a lot more complex. I think we're all on the same page.

The body shop owner is going to write up an estimate and get it to the service manager, who told me I should expect to hear from him mid next week because the documents and information have to be put through their appropriate processes.

Last edited by Deek; 07-22-11 at 12:26 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-26-11, 07:13 PM   #34
mnym8kr
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Tanabe CBE
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mnym8kr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support (metal on metal squeak)...

Subscribed
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-28-11, 02:22 PM   #35
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support (metal on metal squeak)...

I called the service manager today since I hadn't heard anything, he said that they should be ready for my car at the body shop next Tuesday (2011.08.02).

Based on a conversation I had within the past week with a fellow STi owner with fabrication experience, I'm going to make a call to the body shop to talk to the manager and potentially one of their fabricators to have them explain their approach to this repair step by step.

Last edited by Deek; 08-03-11 at 02:12 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-03-11, 02:14 PM   #36
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Well I missed the drop-off yesterday, I wasn't sure that it was a solid date. I rescheduled to drop the car off at the dealer next Monday (2011.08.08).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-03-11, 07:55 PM   #37
Jasrace

Car: 2015/16STI???
Fav Mod: 36DD silicon gel implants?
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jasrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn man, that is an unfortunate problem to have. Good luck with everything. Should I still buy an STI?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-03-11, 11:52 PM   #38
mnym8kr

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yes, buy an STi. I suspect other HB owners might have this issue too but with exhaust, suspension, and chassis mods they might not be able to hear the metal to metal noise above the other added in-cabin NVH. I suggested possibly riveting the rear seam instead of cutting, welding, and painting...not to mention the possible damage, loose interior panels, creating a NEW noise, or overspray.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-04-11, 08:09 AM   #39
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnym8kr View Post
I suggested possibly riveting the rear seam instead of cutting, welding, and painting...not to mention the possible damage, loose interior panels, creating a NEW noise, or overspray.
Hey T, you've unmasked yourself!

I definitely agree with the suggestion and would probably prefer that at this point. However, one of my concerns is that there is more going on back there than just those few spot welds. So I'm inclined to let Subaru fix this using their methods. This way if more surfaces either during the repair or later-on down the road, they're still 'on the hook' to either remedy it or take other measures to rectify the situation.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-04-11, 11:55 AM   #40
mnym8kr

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Mask is off, lol.

If it still squeaks after their repair just install a TBE and group N mounts, the noise will disappear. LOL. Struts on Sunday about noon?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0