2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]* - Page 12 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*
2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > 2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*

Old 09-03-11, 06:35 AM   #111
carmudgeon
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Group N mounts
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

carmudgeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support (metal on metal squeak)...

Got any part #'s for the dampers? Would like to try this on mine.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-11, 12:24 PM   #112
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Fav Mod: BIG MEATY TIRES
My Subaru Parts for sale

Deek will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support (metal on metal squeak)...

This is all I was able to come up with, unfortunately there is no part number listed;

AutoCenter.net - 2008-2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Liftgame Assembly

I have the FSM, but I can't find anywhere that lists part numbers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-03-11, 01:30 PM   #113
mnym8kr
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Tanabe CBE
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mnym8kr is an unknown quantity at this point

The 2008 collision repair catalog refers to them as Liftgate Support Cylinders L/R. Heuberger Subaru parts on the home page lists them for $80.36 ea (MSRP $107.15), I cant find part #'s though but search by year and model for liftgate and select gate and hardware link.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-11, 11:30 AM   #114
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

The dealer service manager called me this morning to check in, wondering if I heard anything over the past few days. I was happy to report that I didn't hear anything, but did minimal driving this weekend.

I was in meetings this morning, so I forgot to discuss the potential of reinstalling the old dampers in a week or so to see if the noise resurfaces. I'll call him later, after I'm caught up here with my tasks here at work. I'm quite alright with being a guinea-pig as long as I know we're working towards a resolution, especially if there's potential that this could help others as well.

Just to keep this updated... I put my interior plastics back in this weekend, using the foam I picked up from Lowes to help eliminate ticks & rattles. I might revisit some of the plastics with a different foam material though, at which point I'll snap some pictures and include them in a post.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-12-11, 08:49 PM   #115
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

The SOA rep called me today to check in. She's been in touch with the dealer service manager and the regional rep, and since I haven't been in contact this week they're all assuming that no news is good news.

I'm happy to report that so far I haven't heard a squeak, but I did apologize for not keeping the communication with them as consistent has I have been. Last week was a very busy one at the office (this week is looking the same) and I'm recovering from a cold/flu thing.

I'm going to call the dealer service manager tomorrow to update him as well. I'll also see how he feels about putting the old dampers on for a week to see if the squeak resurfaces, if he still has them.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-13-11, 11:55 AM   #116
gathermewool
Under Moderated
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Car: 14 FXT Touring
My Subaru Parts for sale

gathermewool is an unknown quantity at this point

This long with out a squeak and dare I say that swapping the old damper back in won't be necessary after all. If nothing else, you've got a "fun" story to tell about the whole ordeal. Them trouble-shooting the issue properly and swapping out the damper to begin with would have been WAY too boring!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-14-11, 03:43 AM   #117
OhioTrojan
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: 08 Dark Grey WRX STi
Fav Mod: Stage 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

OhioTrojan is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting question. If you swap it out, and the noise doesn't return, then what?? I had a very similar troubleshooting situation once, and i say leave well enough alone for now.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-14-11, 03:18 PM   #118
Sabrewings
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: 1 Meter Fuel Line
My Subaru Parts for sale

Sabrewings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmudgeon View Post
Got any part #'s for the dampers? Would like to try this on mine.
Here you go.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...ck_door_parts/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-16-11, 12:05 PM   #119
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Today I called the dealer and spoke to the service manager, just to let him know that things are looking (sounding ) good so far... which means no squeaks.

We discussed the idea of putting the old dampers back in to see if the issue resurfaced but both decided we'd pass on that and, essentially leave well enough alone.

Seems this has been resolved, albeit with potentially excessive repairs and time/resources consumption. I'll update the original post to reflect our final theory.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement