2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]* - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*
2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > 2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*

Old 08-29-11, 06:24 PM   #101
chambana
Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 08 STI DGM Stage 2.5
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

chambana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support (metal on metal squeak)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by V10Climber View Post
I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes... I don't really think the dealer owes you anything. Yes the squeak was mis-diagnosed but the whole car is metal which can cause the noise to sound like it was coming from anywhere. For example, ever tried to diagnose a squeak on an aluminum framed mountain bike? It's pretty much impossible. You were continually pushing the dealer to provide a solution so they were taking their best shot at what they thought the problem was. Most dealerships I know would have just jiggled around some stuff and told you they couldn't find it and to deal with it. Admittedly it sounds like their techs could use some classes on problem solving but it's not like they threw some glue on it and said they fixed it. They genuinely gave it a shot at fixing it.

I understand you're frustrated with having to be without your car for weeks at a time but lets face it... it's a 15k dollar car with 20k worth of drivetrain in it. It's never going to be as quiet and rattle-proof as a pricier car like a BMW, MB, etc.

Cliffnotes: I think the dealership took their best shot at repairing it and you should give them credit for footing that huge bill when they could have just told you to shove it. Get them to fix the hatch supports and call it a day.
+1. I'm of the opinion (it's my experience) you only have a certain amount of rope with most dealers, so choose wisely when you decide to use that rope. I suspect you're nearing the end of the rope here, so rather than push it to a point of "pain" for the dealer (which may affect/influence how you're treated in the future) chalk it up to experience and move on. Keep in mind it's not unusual that fixing one noise/squeak can lead to 2 more new ones...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-11, 06:35 PM   #102
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Fav Mod: BIG MEATY TIRES
My Subaru Parts for sale

Deek will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support (metal on metal squeak)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambana View Post
Keep in mind it's not unusual that fixing one noise/squeak can lead to 2 more new ones...
Well, they've yet to fix the first one... so I suppose I can cross the 'additional-squeak-bridge' when I get to it.

Sorry, unproductive post... just felt like it needed to be said . Probably because I'm hungry, "you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry."
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-29-11, 06:57 PM   #103
mnym8kr
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Tanabe CBE
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mnym8kr is an unknown quantity at this point

Dealerships are representing a manufacturers product and are bound by certain laws and agreements to uphold the warranty issued by the mfg. When a dealer attempts and fails at a repair a reasonable amount of times (usually 3 or more) the mfg. ends up in litigation with the vehicle owner and per CA lemon laws usually is forced to "buy back" the vehicle. If a mfg. is buying back vehicles due to a dealers inability to repair the problem their franchise may be in jeopardy. "End of the rope," analogy does not apply when the customer has done exactly what they are supposed too regardless if some of us are more demanding customers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-11, 02:05 PM   #104
chambana
Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 08 STI DGM Stage 2.5
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

chambana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnym8kr View Post
Dealerships are representing a manufacturers product and are bound by certain laws and agreements to uphold the warranty issued by the mfg. When a dealer attempts and fails at a repair a reasonable amount of times (usually 3 or more) the mfg. ends up in litigation with the vehicle owner and per CA lemon laws usually is forced to "buy back" the vehicle. If a mfg. is buying back vehicles due to a dealers inability to repair the problem their franchise may be in jeopardy. "End of the rope," analogy does not apply when the customer has done exactly what they are supposed too regardless if some of us are more demanding customers.
Yes I get all that...as I said you have to pick your battles and pursuing or expecting a buy back over a squeak/noise on a 3-4 year old car would be much more trouble/effort than it's worth to me. That said, I admire the OP's determination and hope it works out in the end.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-30-11, 03:28 PM   #105
Jasrace

Car: 2015/16STI???
Fav Mod: 36DD silicon gel implants?
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jasrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by V10Climber View Post
I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes... I don't really think the dealer owes you anything. Yes the squeak was mis-diagnosed but the whole car is metal which can cause the noise to sound like it was coming from anywhere. For example, ever tried to diagnose a squeak on an aluminum framed mountain bike? It's pretty much impossible. You were continually pushing the dealer to provide a solution so they were taking their best shot at what they thought the problem was. Most dealerships I know would have just jiggled around some stuff and told you they couldn't find it and to deal with it. Admittedly it sounds like their techs could use some classes on problem solving but it's not like they threw some glue on it and said they fixed it. They genuinely gave it a shot at fixing it.

I understand you're frustrated with having to be without your car for weeks at a time but lets face it... it's a 15k dollar car with 20k worth of drivetrain in it. It's never going to be as quiet and rattle-proof as a pricier car like a BMW, MB, etc.

Cliffnotes: I think the dealership took their best shot at repairing it and you should give them credit for footing that huge bill when they could have just told you to shove it. Get them to fix the hatch supports and call it a day.
The dealer doesn't pay for warranty work, Subaru of America does. Hence, the work needing to be approved by a SOA rep. The dealership is a franchisee of Subaru of America. This dealership deserves no gratitude.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-31-11, 04:34 AM   #106
V10Climber
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: DGM 08 STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

V10Climber is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasrace View Post
The dealer doesn't pay for warranty work, Subaru of America does. Hence, the work needing to be approved by a SOA rep. The dealership is a franchisee of Subaru of America. This dealership deserves no gratitude.
I was always under the impression that the dealer foots the bill initially and then gets reimbursed by SOA for the work done This is why they get repairs like this approved by the rep so that they can be sure they get reimbursed for the work they are doing.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-31-11, 04:36 PM   #107
mnym8kr

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Tanabe CBE
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mnym8kr is an unknown quantity at this point

^^ You are correct, but the warranty administrator can deny the reimbursement charges and leave the dealer with the bill if the dealer made an incorrect diagnosis and received authorization to perform work that does not remedy the problem. This way if you have technicians making incorrect diagnosis' it comes out of the dealers pocket not SOA.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-01-11, 10:35 AM   #108
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

The dealer service manager just contacted me, he had a conversation with an engineer at Subaru. The engineer said he's traced down these squeaks on other hatches, which have required more than one repair. It seems that one repaired squeak could bring another one into the light. I understand this, but assured him that the noise hasn't changed as of yet. I let him know that it is still resonating from the same location and sounds identical. Of course this doesn't solidify any theory, I just wanted him to know those facts.

I also let him know that I understand his skepticism regarding the dampers. So we're both pretty interested to see if the noise resurfaces once the new dampers are in.

The replacement visor clips and dampers aren't in yet, he will call me when he gets them. Then we can install them and go on a test drive to see where we're at.

Edit: I also received a voicemail from the SOA rep while I was in a meeting. She was just following up with me to let me know that she received my voicemail.

Last edited by Deek; 09-01-11 at 10:39 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-02-11, 01:02 PM   #109
Deek
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

The dealer service manager called me this morning saying that my dampers and visor clips came in today. We arranged for me to head to the dealer during lunch to get it all installed.

I stopped in at the arranged time, and he was waiting with the parts. We installed them and went on a test drive up some of the same crappy roads featured in the video, but not for nearly as long. Not a squeak was heard in the 30 minutes we were in the car.

To note: Even the new passenger side damper had more play than the driver side damper... which is consistent with the old dampers.

I will be driving around a bit this weekend, making sure that I cross the 'sure-to-squeak' bump that I drive over every day. He wants me to leave him a voicemail over the weekend if the squeak occurs, and we'll touch base either way on Monday to stay on the same page.

At this point, it seems that one of two things could be true;
1) The damper was the culprit.
2) The new damper has more dampening force (see; not worn) and is preventing the squeak.

I'd be interested to have him keep the original damper around for a week or so (if possible, since it's a warranty repair). If there are no squeaks after a week of driving with the new damper, we can put the old ones back on and see if it returns. He's out to lunch now, so I left him a voicemail with this idea asking that he call me back with his thoughts.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-02-11, 03:50 PM   #110
gathermewool
Under Moderated
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Car: 14 FXT Touring
My Subaru Parts for sale

gathermewool is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully it's as simple as a damper swap.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement