SOLD: 2005 STi, 122k, WRB, E85, hail damage - $12k OBO - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2005 STi, 122k, WRB, E85, hail damage - k OBO
2005 STi, 122k, WRB, E85, hail damage - k OBO
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > SOLD: 2005 STi, 122k, WRB, E85, hail damage - $12k OBO

Old 03-19-17, 04:53 PM   #1
Jugdish
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 05 WRB Sti
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jugdish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2005 STi, 122k, WRB, E85, hail damage - $12k OBO

Hello. I'm selling my 2005 STi so I can get more seat time in my rally car. I've had this car since June of 2009 and am the 3rd owner. It does have some hail damage (hence the low price) but is in great shape mechanically. Here's the short and sweet:

Asking:
$12k - SOLD

Mods:
Cobb downpipe with cat
Cobb cat back
GrimmSpeed up-pipe
Cobb SF intake
GrimmSpeed TGV delete
GrimmSpeed electronic boost control solenoid
Walbro 225lph fuel pump
ID1000 injectors
Perrin turbo inlet hose
Cobb AccessPort V3 (91/104/e85 tunes)
- Tune by Harvey at BoostCreep
ACT heavy duty street clutch (SB4-HDSS)

Cobb front and rear adjustable sway bars
Cobb adjustable short throw shifter
Unabombers sexy rear end
SMY ClusterMaker Gauge Pod
Defi boost gauge
AEM A/F gauge
RCE black springs (10mm lower, 350 lbs/in front rate, 330 lbs/in rear rate)
Primitive Racing rally front skid plate with stinger tail (3/16" thick)
Primitive Racing rally rear diff skid plate (3/16" thick)
Michelin Pilot Super Sports (good tread life)
Curt trailer hitch (never used)
Shaved trunk with limited lip spoiler (bought used)
Rally Armor mud flaps
JDM arm rest
Blacked out interior

Power at the wheels:
299hp, ~336 ft/lbs on E85 (max tune)
281hp, ~292 ft/lbs on E85 (conservative high)
260hp, ~264 ft/lbs on 91

Stock parts:
Radio
Gauge cluster surround
Exhaust (cats and muffler)
Uppipe
Sway bars
Springs
Under engine plastic cover
Rear view mirror (took it off for better forward visibility)
Shifter
Air box
Snorkus

The bad:
Hail damage
Front bumper passenger side mounting replaced with aluminum strap
Occasionally throws P1072 errors (Fuel system too rich (bank 1))
A/C has a pinhole leak somewhere
Keyless entry fob works 80% of the time. Think it just needs a new battery.

I also have:
Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear brake pads (only 1 HPDE on them) - $250 with car
Silver BBS wheels with Michelin X-Ice 3 (good tread life) - $600 with car

More details:
I bought it from the second owner when it was Stage II. I replaced the clutch right before 60k and it is still (!) showing no signs of slipping. I converted it to E85 in August of 2013. I've done one track day at Miller Motorsports Park that summer on 100 octane. Other than that it's been my daily driver for the past 8 years. I don't drive all that much so that's why it's only at 122k.

Mechanically it is in great shape. I've done most of the work on the car and have kept up with most of the maintenance intervals. It is overdue for a brake fluid change. I've done oil analyses on all but one oil change since ~65k. The one I missed was because I spilled the container with the sample on my workbench :-(. I've used OEM parts whenever I could. The timing belt and water pump are OEM. I had to change just the timing belt again at 115k since the guides weren't adjusted correctly and had been hitting the belt. I made sure the guides were adjusted this time so it should be good.

The latest oil analysis shows increased wear but that might be due to upping the mileage on the oil and possibly running a bit low for too long. You can check out their notes in the attached reports. I have paper copies of the first two reports.

It does seem to burn the average amount of oil (1 quart every ~3k miles). The tunes are a bit picky in that it will throw P1072 codes when filling up at different brand gas stations. I usually just reset the learning after I do that and it's good until I fill up again at a different gas station brand. I've experienced this on 91 as well as E85.

The starter occasionally makes a grinding noise in cold weather. It sounds like it's not engaging. My inclination is that it's just a sticky solenoid that needs to be replaced but I haven't dug into it too much since it doesn't happen super often.

There also seems to be something rattling in the engine bay that causes a false knock on 91. I first noticed this on the stage 2 tune. Perhaps once a month when you go above 6k it would throw the check engine light because it thought it was knocking and you'd have to clear the codes. We noticed the same thing during the pro-tune but the tuner wasn't super concerned. I've still seen this on the 91 tune so I just wanted you to be aware. I run E85 90% of the time anyways and haven't had any knock issues.

The A/C system has a pinhole leak somewhere. I had it inspected 2 years ago and their system didn't detect any leaks. The shop put dye in with the refrigerant. It worked for a few months but then stopped working. I don't really use the A/C so I haven't dived further into it.

The body is not in the best of shapes. It has been garaged the entire time I've owned it except for a 12 month stint, during which it got damaged by hail. The hood should just be replaced since it will probably be cheaper than pulling all the dings out. I also rolled into the back of a car the other day so there is a slight bend towards the front (see pictures). The paint on the back of the hood scoop is peeling a bit as well. The roof and trunk lid are the next worse. There are only a few dings on the fenders so those shouldn't be too bad to pull out.

The bumper has been scraped on the bottom several times. Doing so ripped the connection point on the passenger side. I fabbed up an aluminum strap last year that keeps it in place. The inner parts of the side covers are held on by zip ties (underneath where they attach in front of the radiator). The right rear mud flap is missing a bolt as well.

The previous owner blacked out the interior. There are bubbles on the suede headliner and the suede grab handles are coming undone. Also the krylon is peeling a bit where the stereo is. The windshield wipers are only 5 months old (most underrated part!). The plastic fuel cap tether is broken also. The AEM A/F gauge's color knob is loose causing it to change colors from red occasionally. You'd need to pop it out and tighten that.

I did have an accident in October of 2009. I slid off the road on some ice and went into the ditch. Had to get the front left 1/4 panel, headlight, bumper and oil pan replaced. This was done by an auto body shop in Boise, ID and I have the receipt for that work. It was also broken into a year ago. They broke the ignition cylinder and some dash pieces. The dealer replaced those items and I have the receipt for that work as well.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things and I'll update this as they come to me. Don't hesitate to reach out with questions. This has been an amazing car for me and it will be greatly missed. I would love to see it go to a responsible owner who will appreciate it!

Photos:
2005 STi - Google Photos

Attachments:
Maintenance spreadsheet: Maintenance - Google Sheets
Oil reports: OilReports.pdf - Google Drive
Carfax: StiCarfax.pdf - Google Drive (Not sure why it says there is a lien on it. I have the title in hand)

I also have a bunch of paper records if you want them.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 STi, 122k, WRB, E85, hail damage - k OBO-cover-jpg  

Last edited by Jugdish; 04-03-17 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Add info about A/C system and keyfob
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-17, 07:01 AM   #2
Jugdish
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: 2005 STi, 122k, WRB, E85, hail damage - $13k

I forgot to add that there is a pinhole leak in the A/C system. I had it inspected 2 years ago and their system didn't detect any leaks. The shop put dye in with the refrigerant. It worked for a few months but then stopped working. I don't really use the A/C so I haven't dived further into it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-25-17, 07:30 AM   #3
Jugdish
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: 2005 STi, 122k, WRB, E85, hail damage - $12k OBO

Price drop to 12k