2018 WRX and STI Refresh - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2018 WRX and STI Refresh
2018 WRX and STI Refresh
Go Back   STI Forums > > > 2018 WRX and STI Refresh
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
2018 WRX and STI Refresh
2018 WRX and STI Refresh
2018 WRX and STI Refresh
2018 WRX and STI Refresh
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 02-16-17, 08:39 AM   #101
blacknblue06STI
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Black, 06' STI
Fav Mod: Cobb Accessport V2
My Subaru Parts for sale

blacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura aboutblacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2018 WRX and STI Refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorocks View Post
..... Am I talking to Trump? You just change what you're saying as if we cant all see your other posts and know what you said was wrong.
?? Not sure what you are saying I changed after I said something different before??? Please elaborate, so I can set you straight as I dont think you are comprehending what I have been saying or are getting mixed up about something I have been pointing out??
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-16-17, 08:41 AM   #102
blacknblue06STI
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

blacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura aboutblacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorocks View Post
um what? 245 mm = 245mm = 245mm = 245mm... how the heck are you thinking 245 mm = 9.8 inches then say 245 mm = 9.7 inches? I'm no rocket scientist... oh wait yes I am... but it doesn't take one to know that 245-35-19 and 245-40-18 both have a width of 245mm which equals 9.646 inches... not 9.8 inches or 9.7 inches.
maybe stick to rocket science then because tire size dimensions can vary slighty depending on the style and brand of the tire...they dont clone tires LOL

why are people straining so hard to down the improvements on the 2018 LOL...its hillarious, and borderline delusional that the parts they upgraded arent going to improve performance, and given that the 2015-2017 are the overall best performing U.S spec STI's offered the improvements on the 2018 are going to "1 up" that performance even more...so ya, its not wrong to say the 2018 will be the best overall performing STI sold in the U.S given the potential of the upgrades affects on track E.T's. But hey, haters are gonna hate.

Last edited by blacknblue06STI; 02-16-17 at 09:06 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-16-17, 09:17 AM   #103
blacknblue06STI
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerlieberman View Post
Exactly. He will continously change his position to try and justify that Subaru is the absolute greatest manufacturer in the entire world and can do no wrong, and that this STI (which isn't out or has even been driven yet) is better than every other STI in every single way ppossible.

Spoiler alert: Newer does not always mean better. Nissan knows this pretty well, seeing how the GTR has been getting slower every year for the past 3 years (even with hp increases)

Actually, he's right here. 245 Yokohamas are not the same width as 245 Dunlops are not the same width as 245 Michelins. Those measurements he's giving comes from Tirerack, who pull the stats directly from each tire maker. Even though the tires are both 245, they are not actually the same width.

Some tires run wide, some run small. Some run short, some run tall.
I havent classified the changes to the 2018 as being better, simply because they are "new". That's ridiculous. The changes they made ARE in fact upgrades , relative to what comes on the car now; the tires are in fact better for track use than what comes on the 2015-2017, and the brake upgrade is going to work in concert with those stickier tires, so that set up is overall better if that is the word you want to use. Everyone wanted recaro's because they are widely regarded as an excellent seat, so the 2018 is getting recaro's. Its kinda funny that some are now saying the recaro's arent better LOL. The larger display screen on the head unit and information center are in fact better LOL. More sound deadening to reduce wind and road noise? Why wouldnt that be better? A smoother more responsive center diff? Ya I would say that is better. Headlights that now not only self level, but also turn in the direction of the steering to light up corners? I'd say that is an upgrade as well. Sorry but I just cant agree that all these changes added up DONT MAKE A BETTER STI over the 2015-2017.

Your GTR analogy does not fit well with the STI since the STI has been getting faster on tracks, WITHOUT horsepower increases in addition to not getting lighter, or basically staying the same weight with additions of technology and comfort improvements. Not a good comparison at all. The STI dropped 9 seconds of its VIR E.T's with ZERO increase in horsepower and keeping the weight the same (65 Lbs more weight) while also improving interior and convenience features.

At the end of the day I wouldnt call a GTR slow. Expensive yes, slow no.

Last edited by blacknblue06STI; 02-16-17 at 09:28 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-16-17, 10:41 AM   #104
tylerlieberman
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerlieberman will become famous soon enoughtylerlieberman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblue06STI View Post
I havent classified the changes to the 2018 as being better, simply because they are "new". That's ridiculous. The changes they made ARE in fact upgrades , relative to what comes on the car now; the tires are in fact better for track use than what comes on the 2015-2017, and the brake upgrade is going to work in concert with those stickier tires, so that set up is overall better if that is the word you want to use. Everyone wanted recaro's because they are widely regarded as an excellent seat, so the 2018 is getting recaro's. Its kinda funny that some are now saying the recaro's arent better LOL. The larger display screen on the head unit and information center are in fact better LOL. More sound deadening to reduce wind and road noise? Why wouldnt that be better? A smoother more responsive center diff? Ya I would say that is better. Headlights that now not only self level, but also turn in the direction of the steering to light up corners? I'd say that is an upgrade as well. Sorry but I just cant agree that all these changes added up DONT MAKE A BETTER STI over the 2015-2017.

Your GTR analogy does not fit well with the STI since the STI has been getting faster on tracks, WITHOUT horsepower increases in addition to not getting lighter, or basically staying the same weight with additions of technology and comfort improvements. Not a good comparison at all. The STI dropped 9 seconds of its VIR E.T's with ZERO increase in horsepower and keeping the weight the same (65 Lbs more weight) while also improving interior and convenience features.

We'll just agree to disagree, since you clearly aren't comprehending what I'm getting at.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-16-17, 06:43 PM   #105
evo911
Silver Member

Car: 15' GTR Nismo 5/52
Fav Mod: RX2/3
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

evo911 is an unknown quantity at this point

this conversation makes no sense. pretty sure my 15' is a way better car than my 12' was. had a 12 gtr and currently a 15' nismo
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-16-17, 07:13 PM   #106
tylerlieberman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerlieberman will become famous soon enoughtylerlieberman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo911 View Post
this conversation makes no sense. pretty sure my 15' is a way better car than my 12' was. had a 12 gtr and currently a 15' nismo
Lol that's like comparing a previous WRX to a current STI.

Look at test data of the GTR (not Nismo) since 2012. The 2012/2013 was the fastest one out of them all since the GTR was first released.

2014, it suffered in speed. 2015 and 2016 was even worse. The car became heavier and softer, thus the car was not as fast. 2017 is the same. That isn't to say the GTR is bad. My dad has a 2015 GTR and it's awesome. But, I'm not going to ignore facts...and the fact is the GTR has gotten soft over the past few years.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-16-17, 08:06 PM   #107
evo911
Silver Member

Car: 15' GTR Nismo 5/52
Fav Mod: RX2/3
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

evo911 is an unknown quantity at this point

they went this route for standard models because of potential customers turning it down as the interior sucked, that it wasnt comfortable etc. They wanted to give it a more comfortable feel with nicer interior. Then to keep up in performance game they brought out a nismo. The external racket is almost gone in the new ones. My 12' was so damn noisy with trans noise and misc interior rattles however the nismo is still just as my 12' was in that matter. another odd thing Nissan did was on 17' Nismo they softened the dampening more from what 15' and 16' have.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-16-17, 09:07 PM   #108
tylerlieberman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo911 View Post
they went this route for standard models because of potential customers turning it down as the interior sucked, that it wasnt comfortable etc. They wanted to give it a more comfortable feel with nicer interior. Then to keep up in performance game they brought out a nismo. The external racket is almost gone in the new ones. My 12' was so damn noisy with trans noise and misc interior rattles however the nismo is still just as my 12' was in that matter. another odd thing Nissan did was on 17' Nismo they softened the dampening more from what 15' and 16' have.
Oh I know. I agree too.

I understand why Nissan chose to do what they did. The 2015 is much more comfortable to ride in compared to a 2012. However, it needs to be understood that everything is a compromise.

If I were to buy one, I'd still probably buy a 2015 lol.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-17-17, 03:28 AM   #109
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Nut behind wheel
My Subaru Parts for sale

tastetickles will become famous soon enoughtastetickles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblue06STI View Post

For once I agree with what BnB says here .... a very weird feeling indeed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-17-17, 07:55 AM   #110
Aerorocks
Advanced Contributor Level 5

Car: Black 15 STI Limited
Fav Mod: Driver
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Aerorocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerlieberman View Post
Exactly. He will continously change his position to try and justify that Subaru is the absolute greatest manufacturer in the entire world and can do no wrong, and that this STI (which isn't out or has even been driven yet) is better than every other STI in every single way ppossible.

Spoiler alert: Newer does not always mean better. Nissan knows this pretty well, seeing how the GTR has been getting slower every year for the past 3 years (even with hp increases)

Actually, he's right here. 245 Yokohamas are not the same width as 245 Dunlops are not the same width as 245 Michelins. Those measurements he's giving comes from Tirerack, who pull the stats directly from each tire maker. Even though the tires are both 245, they are not actually the same width.

Some tires run wide, some run small. Some run short, some run tall.
Ah Thanks! I stand corrected.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0