IW STi Forum banner

Nervous about placing an order

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Aguamala 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

New to the Subaru world, but certainly not new to cars/modifications.

I really want and all around car, that's quick, roomy, and can be taken pretty much everywhere right out of the box and the STi definitely fit the bill. I've done a lot of research on it, and although I'd like to wait to see if they will eventually throw an FA in, I can't. I really need a new car right now, so I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2016 STi.

Anyway, I've done a lot of research on these cars, but I noticed one thing that is really keeping me from placing an order. I've noticed that several people have had their STi blow their motor with very few miles on them. One had been running a Cobb, but I believe the others were completely stock. I'm a little nervous because I need something that is gonna be reliable and take a good beating. I don't want to have to worry whether my motor (without any modifications) is gonna blow up on me with some spirited driving.

I'm sure eventually I'll build the car after the warranty is up, but that won't be for a long time. I also know that the warranty will cover everything, but I really don't want to have to use it on a brand new car, as it will be a daily that I really need to rely on.

After reading these issues, I've looked around the market for cars within that range, but there isn't much I'd really want other than the Mustang GT (which isn't what I was looking for in a car). My grandfather owned an Evo X, and although it was quick, the interior really felt cheap to me. As dumb as it sounds, after lurking the forums for so long, I really love how family like the Subaru community is.

Sorry for the long post, and if this is in the wrong section, I apologize! Please move it where it needs to be!

See less See more
#3 ·
Ringlands are a rare problem and everything on this car is built solid, just replace the oil pickup tube ($150) by 60k miles or so. Subaru will cover the ringland problem if it does occur.

#5 · (Edited)
The percentage of STIs that get abused is far higher than most cars and the have more failures mostly do to that. Otherwise every car has its problems and weak points.

Oil pickup failures are more rare than the other concerns. I wouldn't even worry about replacing one though i might install a decent oil pressure warning alarm. Actually thats whet i did till the car had 185k on it. The it was replaced it since it was apart anyway snd the car was running fine even then.

Reactions: Illuminaughty
#6 ·
Its already a very small percentage. Of that tiny percentage, there often were modifiable risk factors that were left to chance.

Don't believe me? Just look at the number of threads asking "oh I got x brand intake, y brand downpipe, and z brand turbo. Can I just use the ots map for ELH, a different brand downpipe, and stock air box?" No you bent, get a pro tune. "Oh yeah definitely, ill probably only do three or four autocross events on 87 octane until I go get my protune in 9 months.

They're not all that bad, but seriously read some of these threads on here, and watch some YouTube videos. Some of these failures are quality control through and through, but other times you can't help but shake your head.

If you're really that nervous, buy the 7/100 extended warranty FROM SUBARU. Not a third party. But wait until you're abt to run out of factory warranty (right before 3 yrs or 36k, whichever first). You can get the same coverage at that point for about what you'd pay at purchase. On the other side of the coin, if you get the warranty day one and try to sell back, you won't get half what you paid, even if it's before 3/36 and you haven't technically even enjoyed any protection with it.

#9 ·
Most Subaru engine problems are due to improper modding and poor tunes. From an OEM viewpoint, any car you search on the internet will have their share of overblown problems.

#10 ·
Yeah I really do want the car, and I understand cars have their issues but these are pretty pricey!!

These were the threads I was referring to, which these cars were stock. Both happened under some light spirited driving too, which sucks because I'm one to do that often lol.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2015-st...ti-launch-edition-2727-miles-blown-motor.html

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2015-st...15-sti-limited-blown-engine-update-fixed.html

Btw, you guys are the bomb (no pun intended). Thanks so much for the info and all your help.

#11 ·
You also must use a grain of salt for those stories and any other. Sometimes people are not fully forthcoming. One of them said they were stock then a few pages in said oh well it was stock when it happened but I did run stage 1 ots for a while. Etc.

These cars are pricey but the avg new purchase is 30 something nowadays. Cars are way more expensive than they used to be.

If it helps, I was just as nervous as you for a while. Then I remembered "fuck it." Now I'm good. Works every time

#12 ·
They say the same about just any car. When I bought my RX-8 people were flooding them and blowing them up left and right. Every other thread was about how bad the engine is blah blah blah. Just remember that only the people that have failures come to bitch. The other 95 percent that dont, don't make daily threads saying "hey! All is well!" You know?

My rotary was perfect till the day I sold it. Red lined at least once every day. Granny driving seemed to clog it up with carbon which seemed to be the popular belief of failures. That car screamed at 9k rpm and begged for more. I sold her at 68k miles and I see it driving around once in a while happy as can be.

Point is, people come to forums to bitch when something goes wrong and like dr house said, everybody lies. So take the "I did nothing" threads with a grain of salt. More often than not there's something altered to the car that impacts engine life. Be it oil or tunes or plain thrashing the car by the driver, or just a bad engine from the factory. That's why you have warranty. So leaving it stock and have fun. Add a Catback and leave the drive train alone.

#13 ·
Here's what I think - these motors have tight tolerances. For whatever reason there is an issue with engines failing on STIs more than you might see on other cars - but not enough of an issue for a recall. As others have said - if an engine goes - people are usually going to go online to talk about it, ask questions, etc. but not everyone is going to come online and tell how their car has had no issues.

I do believe that if the engine is prone to fail it is going to do it relatively soon - that's usually why you see the threads talking about the engine failing (especially those that are stock) being relatively low miles - they were going to fail no matter what. So why do I say that? Because the engine is covered for 5 years / 60k miles and if it is going to fail it will most likely fail during that period.

Now, if you are looking at doing performance mods, you take the risk of if the motor fails having to pay for it yourself out of pocket (since Subaru may deny your claim saying that it failed due to your mods) but people have given instances where Subaru still replaces the engine even though performance mods were done. I personally will likely wait till the powertrain warranty runs out before modding - just in case I do have any engine issues - but with 13,500 miles on my car already with no hints of any issues I highly doubt I will have any problems.

Reactions: SluttyCat
#14 ·
The amount blowing up is smaller than you expect. So last year Subaru sold 500k cars I believe. So let's say 100k were WRX/STI.... So how many owners are actually on the forum. Maybe 5%? Of those 5%.... How many blow up that report it? 20? How many modded or driver errors? The amount is quite lower than you expect. it just appears higher because the small amount of owners on the forums. Probably less than the amount of GM cars affected by the key issue. Lol

#15 ·
I really appreciate all you guys taking the time to help me make a decision. Before I pull the trigger, my parents want me to go to some local dealerships and see what's the best price they'll do. But I think in the end, no one can match Heuberger, so I'll more than likely just end up ordering one from them. Looks like I'll be placing my order Friday the latest. DGM '16 STi Premium with Nav and Autodim Mirror/Homelink. I was thinking of getting the front lip as well, but I'm gonna hold off and see what some other after market brands release. I'll be sure to start a journal whenever I get the car.

#16 ·
Nacho, I do have a question. Would you say that through out your 13,500 miles you car has been pushed? I'm sure it has quite a bit, but maybe you've taken it to the track or just have spirited drives often. I'm looking to have fun with the car, just wanna have peace of mind.

#17 ·
Uh, yeah, it has been pushed. I mean I don't drive all out all the time, but this car is a big stress reliever for me, and sometimes I just have to go out for a drive and press the pedal down all the way and drive aggressively. I also owned a 2005 STI for 4 years that I had no issues with either - so I'm not very concerned about the EJ257 and it breaking.

Reactions: Illuminaughty
#18 ·
Right on, thanks again bro.

Been calling several dealerships to see the best price I can get but so far everyone sucks lol. Heuberger definitely has the best price, just sucks that I have to pay the additional 1000 for shipping.

After shipping and taxes it looks like I'll be getting it for 38,000 and change. Do you all think that's reasonable? I'll see if maybe January is able to knock off the 389 in fees : ).

#21 ·
Think of this. (And I've said this before) Nobody comes on the forum just to tell everybody how well their car is running and that they don't have any problems or anything. You'll notice that a lot of users only come on here to troubleshoot their car problems or to vent about their automotive woes. Go to any car forum and you'll have a bunch of people telling you about how their transmission took a dump or how their motor blew up. Engines are complicated pieces of machinery and there's a lot that can go wrong with them. Just make sure to keep up on the maintenance and monitor your fluid levels.

Plus you'll have a warranty to go with the car as well.

Mustangs (nothing against them) are fairly impractical and are great performers if you don't want to go off-roading or driving in certain weather conditions. I had a Trans-Am and it wasn't exactly a great DD or good in the rain. Very fun though.

P.S. Props for your grandfather having an Evo X

#22 · (Edited)
OP, sounds like you'd keep your STI stock until the warranty is up, therefore you won't have any issues. If issues come up, the warranty covers you while Subaru gives you a loaner vehicle.

If it makes you feel better, I had a 2013 STI that I left stock (save larger radiator, AOS, minor suspension mods) and did 20+ track days and put on 20,000 miles before trading in for my 2015 STI. My 2015 is at about 9,000 miles and 10 track days (and counting). Both stock, both extremely reliable. In fact, in the fall I have a 3,000 mile round trip planned where I'll be heading to Tail of the Dragon, then to Road Atlanta for a track day, then to Orlando, FL to visit some theme parks. I'll have the wife and my daughter with me. Am I worried about reliability problems at all? Heck no.

Just buy it already :tup: :D

#24 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's what I plan on doing, at least for a long time.

Think of this. (And I've said this before) Nobody comes on the forum just to tell everybody how well their car is running and that they don't have any problems or anything. You'll notice that a lot of users only come on here to troubleshoot their car problems or to vent about their automotive woes. Go to any car forum and you'll have a bunch of people telling you about how their transmission took a dump or how their motor blew up. Engines are complicated pieces of machinery and there's a lot that can go wrong with them. Just make sure to keep up on the maintenance and monitor your fluid levels.

Plus you'll have a warranty to go with the car as well.

Mustangs (nothing against them) are fairly impractical and are great performers if you don't want to go off-roading or driving in certain weather conditions. I had a Trans-Am and it wasn't exactly a great DD or good in the rain. Very fun though.

P.S. Props for your grandfather having an Evo X
Yeah, Mustangs look nice, but they aren't really what I'm looking for in a car. I do a lot of road trips, I take my dog with me all the time, I mountain bike, hike, kayak, surf, and just out door stuff in general. I'm also a really big car enthusiast so this car really is everything I've wanted in terms of power. Plus, I always see the new mustangs everywhere (mainly the ecoboost ones), and I rarely ever see the new STi's around. Nice to have something a little different.

Lol, my grandfather is a crazy guy, he ended up selling it and buying a couple other cars. Now he has 2 MG's and a Triumph TR6 that he's working on. He tells me every time I see him how much he regrets selling his Evo. He's more of a Subaru guy though, I know once I order my car, he's gonna follow suit.

OP, sounds like you'd keep your STI stock until the warranty is up, therefore you won't have any issues. If issues come up, the warranty covers you while Subaru gives you a loaner vehicle.

If it makes you feel better, I had a 2013 STI that I left stock (save larger radiator, AOS, minor suspension mods) and did 20+ track days and put on 20,000 miles before trading in for my 2015 STI. My 2015 is at about 9,000 miles and 10 track days (and counting). Both stock, both extremely reliable. In fact, in the fall I have a 3,000 mile round trip planned where I'll be heading to Tail of the Dragon, then to Road Atlanta for a track day, then to Orlando, FL to visit some theme parks. I'll have the wife and my daughter with me. Am I worried about reliability problems at all? Heck no.

Just buy it already :tup: :D
This is actually exactly what I wanted to hear. I do plan on taking the car out to some track days and having fun with it. I just want to make sure it'll take the beating. That sounds like a pretty epic road trip!! Let me know when you're down in Florida and I can suggest some places for you. I'm not in Orlando, but I've been there plenty of times. If you do decide to drive down to Miami, I know a bunch of great spots down here (restaurants, touristy stuff, etc), especially if you want to take some really nice pictures of your car.
I'm just shopping around a bit before I order the car (most likely from January at Heuberger). No one can match her price, even with shipping costs. Looking to place my order by the end of this week or early next week!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.