IW STi Forum banner

Singletrack's STi - 8/15/07 vlimited, informeter, and 2nd defi gauge pics - pg2

19K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  pgh95aero 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I'm sitting here laid up after a pretty bad knee surgery (don't worry I have drugs) and I thought it would be nice to post up some pics of my car.

Some of the first pics:

One of the first road trips – got treated to some incredible motorcycle action. The wheelie was the simplest thing they actually did : )

With the winter wheels/tires:

What she looks like now:

Bosal twin tip:

My V1 remote mute button:

Gloss black paint by Wheel Collision on the stock BBS wheels:

New STi decals by rallydecals.com, the car also has 30% Johnson metallic tint:

Stuff that has been done to the car (updated as things are added):

-Knocklink installed
-Alpine CDA-9813 HU with KCA-420i Ipod interface
-MB QUART RCE 216 installed with spacers from IAperformance.com
-Subaru factory underseat subwoofer
-Hardwired V1 with remote mute button and remote display hidden behind stock factory clock location
-Red HVAC controls and ignition ring
-Bosal 3” twin-tip exhaust (removed)
-Black stock wheels painted by wheelcollision in bath, pa
-Bronze Rota SDRs (custom silver center caps w 225/45-17 Dunlop Wintersport M2s (now M3s) for the winter
-Mcguard lugs
-30% Metallic Johnson tint done by Auto Effects (the best IMO) in Monaca, PA
-2005 shift knob – looks so much nicer than the 04 IMO
-Baked/cleared headlights with sprayed turn signal bulbs(front and back)
-Homemade grounding kit
-Autospeed front STi plate cover and dead pedal
-AMS 5w30 year round
-Stoptech SS brake lines
-ATE super blue
-Defi Boost Gauge
-Defi Oil Temp Gauge
-Airbag module dyed black
-Blitz Nur Spec Touring exhaust
-SPT intake and heatshield (removed)
-SPT battery hold down and oil filler cap
-Black kartboy exhaust hangers
-Greddy Informeter
-STi V Limited front spoiler

The car has about 29k miles on it right now and I picked it up in 8/03 (6/03 build date). I drive it daily to and from work and also try to get out on the weekends when possible. Overall it has been extremely reliable with the only issue being the replacement of both rear struts for the infamous "strut clunk". I drive the car extremely hard at times and it performs flawlessly. I really couldn't be much happier with my purchase.

That's about all I can think of/write about at the moment. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy this site and overall* the maturity of the posters here. Discussions rarely degenerate into the web board flame fests that I have witnessed on quite a few other online communities.

See less See more
#6 ·
max05sti said:
nice car man...where did you mount your V1???
Thanks bro! The V1 is mounted right above the rearview mirror. It is one of the later-gen ones so it is slightly slimmer and it just fits. I then ran the cable around the headliner, down the pillar, behind the glove box, and then behind the headunit/center console. From there I have the mute button wired to the control stalk and the remote display where the factory clock use to be. I'd take a pic, but I'm sort of immobilized at the moment : )

I picked up the mute button from a guy on Audiworld (http://www.toyguydesign.com) and here is the wiring diagram for putting the remote mute button inline while still keeping the remote display:

Let me know if you have any questions!

#8 ·
mike_ said:

The funny thing about this is that I *always* have guys on crotch rockets pulling wheelies around my STi. Must be the wing.

bro...

please........ *sportbikes*........ is a much less derogitive term for superbike/streetbikes.....

just picking on ya!! (14 year rider myself)

-ese

ps- i too have bikes trying to show me how their bike has a lb/weight ratio less than 70% smaller than us.....

#11 · (Edited)
Knocklink install

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Here is a picture of where I installed the aftermarket BOSCH knock sensor:

The large metal object in the lower left hand corner of the screen is the BPV - to give you a perspective. The sensor itself has the black and brown wires coming from the harness. The bracket above the knock sensor holds a hard coolant line which runs to the throttle body.

In order to install the sensor you need to take the oem bolt out of the hole in the block that holds the bracket. The stock bolt is M8-1.25x30. Now the new bolt will obviously have to be long enough to accomodate the sensor height as well. Simply measure the width of the sensor before you start disassembly and pick up the appropriate screw at the local hardware or autoparts store. The correct tightening torque per the 04 STi manual is 24 N-m or 17.4 ft-lb. In order to get the sensor UNDER the bracket you need to bend the bracket. To do this I held the bracket, and bent it by inserting a 1/4" extension into the hole and slowly prying it until the sensor fit underneath it properly.

The only other thing you need to do is remove the intercooler to get access which also involves removing the intercooler hose from the compressor side of the turbo and the BPV from the front of the intercooler. There are 2 bolts on the BPV (16N-m, 11.6 ft-lb), 2 bolts on either side of the intercooler on rubber gaskets, and 3 hose clamps (2 on the inlet to the throttle body) and one on the hose coming from the compressor outlet. DO NOT remove both the clamps on the throttle body inlet hose. It is waaaay eaiser to get the intercooler back in with the hose in the same location. I left the clamp on the TB side and this worked well for me.

To reinstall the intercooler get it wedged back in there (you will see what I mean). I used some car shampoo on the compressor outlet hose to make sure that it slid right onto the turbo without issue. After you get that squared up, it is easier to get the throttle body hose lined up with the intercooler.

I'm bored so I thought I would document this : )

The instructions for the actual wiring of the knocklink come with the unit, so you should be all set there. There is a rubber passthrough behind the pedals that you can use for wiring. I have my knocklink installed in the ashtray area of the center console. I ran the harness under the ashtray itself. Take a look and you can figure it out. Soon I'll be remotely mounting the LEDs in a better location. Others have documented this procedure at various sites - basically just soldering lines to the board and getting some LEDs and holders.

#17 ·
I like that dead pedal. And can you post a rear shot of your exhaust, your pic of the top of the twin tips almost makes me wish I got a twin-tip exhaust.

#19 ·
tailspin said:
Were did u get that black wheel cover over the airbag ? I have a 04 too and hate the grey please tell me
I painted it with VHT spray-dye. Several people have done it and you should be able to find some posts on it. Basically, there are two t-30 screws on either side of the steering wheel that must be loosened. Then the airbag module falls forward and there is one connector and a ground. Remove, clean up (I washed with dish soap), tape off the areas you don't want to spray, and apply thin coats until you achieve the desired shade. It's probably a good idea to disconnect your neg battery terminal before getting started.

I can elaborate if people have questions. I've been spray painting since I was 10, so it was pretty easy for me.

#22 ·
sebtarta said:
Well if you still have your leg up, and still on drugs, then lets wait till you can clean it and takes some pics.
But if you are out of drugs but still with the leg up, get cracking....we want pics.:anypics:
Heh...yah I'm much better now, but still in physical therapy. I'm just too busy with work etc...I'm sure I'll wash it before wed.

#24 ·
Hey ST, how does the Bosal twinpipe sound? There are so many exhausts out there that it's quite dizzying. How does it compare to the stock muffler?

In terms of loudness on a scale of 1-10 compared to stock.
Also, the main thing I'm looking for in an exhaust is a deep, basy grumble, but that doesn't drone and it's too terribly loud. Does the Bosal fit this bill?

Thanks and sweet looking ride!

#25 ·
volkl23 said:
Hey ST, how does the Bosal twinpipe sound? There are so many exhausts out there that it's quite dizzying. How does it compare to the stock muffler?

In terms of loudness on a scale of 1-10 compared to stock.
Also, the main thing I'm looking for in an exhaust is a deep, basy grumble, but that doesn't drone and it's too terribly loud. Does the Bosal fit this bill?

Thanks and sweet looking ride!
Thanks. I don't think this is the exhaust for you. I would say it is a 9 or 10 on the loudness scale. Very deep rumble, but it does vibrate some on deceleration.

There are some clips floating around of it on a WRX and it is very loud even on the 2L.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.