IW STi Forum banner

TPMS Reset Tool

244K views 549 replies 98 participants last post by  kamil99 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I’d update the community with some TPMS finds. Did a search and it seems like I may have something to add. For those that don’t like to read long posts, see the synopsis below.

For those of us with TPMS and multiple sets of tires/wheels, we have discovered that Subaru did not utilize a system designed to be friendly to the end-user. According to the tech manual, you have to have both a TPMS reset tool and the Subaru Select Monitor to reset after wheel changes. This means a trip to the dealer as 1) the SSM costs $2700 and you’ll still need a TPMS query tool part J45295 ~$300, and 2) Subaru claims you have to be a dealer to purchase the SSM.

My dealer didn’t charge me for the TPMS resets which is nice, but the last time I visited I got a lot of eye-rolling when I pointed out that they have not charged me before. I also find going to the dealer inconvenient and I have much better things to do with my time.

I’ve been researching our TPMS and how to program it. It seems our problem is not limited to Subaru, but common to many late model Asian made automobiles with the CANbus system. The major issue is that one has to push the TPM Control Module (TCM) into a learn mode electronically through the OBD-II port and then forward the TPMS sensor ID numbers to the TCM. Many domestic models have an end-user way to put the TCM into the learn mode and then you just need a more simpler (and cheaper) tool to ‘wake up’ the sensors and the rest is automatic.

There are a number of devices available that will trigger awake or query the TPMS sensors in the wheels and get the ID code as well as other data (pressure, battery life, temperature, etc), but less available that will interface with the TCM via OBD-II and put it into a learn mode.

I did find three all-in-one devices that can both query the TPMS sensors and push the data directly to the TCM. They seem to be marketed to tire shops and dealers for working with TPMS systems that require an OBD-II connection. They boast a list of supported vehicles and sensors that span the market from American to Asian and European automobiles.

First is the Bartec Tech 400. USA and UK company with a base in Michigan. The MSRP is $2700 but it retails for about $1900 online, with some vendors selling as cheap as just under $1400. I called Bartec for some pre-purchase questions. They pointed out to me that they would not support the product purchased from an unauthorized vendor (i.e.: the cheaper ones) and that any support (including upload of Subaru modules which don’t seem to be included with the device) would be at a cost of $349 per year. Purchasing from an official vendor would include the initial uploads and upgrades for a year. I found that a little obnoxious. The software is Windows PC based 32 bit and it plugs into the USB port.

Second is the ATEQ VT55 OBDII. ATEQ is a multinational company that is based in France with an office in Michigan. This device retails for about $1200 and I could only find it for sale through their specific referenced vendors. It looks to be very similar to the Tech400 and has the same features. The software is also Windows PC based 32 bit and it plugs into the USB port. I was very close to purchase when I found something else. Looks like a nice device and sells for $700 less than a fully supported Bartec.

Last is something from OTC tools (SPX) that is called the Genisys Deluxe. There are also the Nemisys and the ABS scan tools and they look to have some overlapping features (TPMS and others). The main kit looks like it does much more than the Bartec or ATEQ with a more complicated scan tool. It runs between $2000-$3000 and I didn’t look very much into it. I found the information on their site a bit lacking and they had many devices/packages with nearly the same name but vastly different features which was confusing.

It seems that there is a device made also by ATEQ that is not well advertised on their websites. it is called the ATEQ QuickSet. It retails for about $150. The link that I provided goes to an ATEQ recommended vendor - as said not much on the real ATEQ site. They have ATEQ-tpmsreset.com all over the box, but that link seems defunct. Supposedly TireRack also has had it available and for sale for ~$130, but a recent query to them came up with nothing. This device is much less robust than the above mentioned products, but may be just the ticket for the end-user with only a few cars or a few sets of wheels to swap at the change of seasons. Others have posted success with it in Honda, DSM, Toyota, and even Subaru forums. I couldn’t find anything here or on NASIOC about it.

The Quickset connects to the OBD-II port and pushes the TCM into the learn mode and then sends in a set of TPMS sensor ID codes. The codes need to manually entered into the device through a software interface on a PC computer (again PC Windows 32 bit only). The Quickset does not query the sensors like the other devices above. The device connects to the PC via USB.

There’s a bit of a rub to this. You need to know the serial numbers of your TPMS sensors mounted on the wheel so you can manually enter them via the software interface. The Quickset will pull the last ID numbers off the TCM’s memory, so in theory, you only need the numbers from the new wheels you are mounting. If you can get them when the tech mounts them then you’re golden. I bought my winter set from TireRack and they didn’t know my sensor IDs. Bummer. Another option would be to get the dealer or a tire shop to use one of their TPMS query tools to get the numbers and record them for you. I chose to purchase a (relatively cheap) device that gets the sensor ID data figuring it’d be a nice toy to have around. Cost is about $100, but what the hell. I got the Autel MaxiTPMS TS301. Nice little Made in China device that will save 16 ID numbers in memory and covers all devices available (good if you have multiple cars from different manufacturers). You certainly can do without this, but it will require you to be proactive to record those numbers before you go to use the Quickset.

I got the Autel device last week and it worked as advertised. Just turn on, push a button, and point to the valve stem. I got the ID numbers of the sensors as well as the pressure of the tire. I didn’t get battery life or temperature - just N/A where these values should have been. I guess our Schrader sensors don’t support that feature.

On to the Quickset. I mounted my winter set a couple weeks ago and the a$$-crack warning light came on within about 10 minutes of driving. I’m not a fan of having a lit warning light on my dash. Got the Quickset delivered today. It’s a pretty simple device. Just a small black box with an OBD-II port on one side and a USB port on the other. It comes with a small extension cord to the OBD-II side which I discovered is not really needed. There are two membrane type buttons on the front - one marked with a sun for the summer set and one marked with a snowflake for the winter set. There’s a small status LED. An installation CD comes with it and once you load up the software it automatically checks for updates and updated itself with the latest modules. Subaru Impreza 2008 and 2009 were there.

The software interface looks like it was written by a 6 year old, but it is functional and the instructions are pretty self explanatory. You initialize the device via USB, download the old sensor IDs from the TCM via OBD-II, download your computer via USB, manually enter the IDs for your second set and a couple clicks later both sets’ IDs are loaded on the device. You plug back into the OBD-II and push the snowflake or the sun depending on what set you want put in memory. I pushed the snowflake and voila, the a$$-crack light goes out. :banana:

I did encounter one issue with the software interface that took me a few times to figure out. The hexadecimal ID numbers came off in six digits from my Autel query device. The Quickset wants you to enter the ID with 8 digits - I had to put two zeros in front of the number to get the device to accept it.

I took the car around the block and the light looks like it is off for good. We’ll see on the morning commute if it really works out, but I’m pretty confident that the upload was successful. EDIT - The warning light remained off during the morning commute. Quickset works. :tup:

FWIW, all these devices seem pretty simple in what they are able to do - just upload new sensor ID numbers to the TCM. Some have posted here the need or want to re-program PSI settings for the a$$-crack warning light to trigger. I couldn't find that any device, short of the Subaru Select Monitor, that will actually reprogram the TCM.

The quick synopsis:
1) Yes, you can reset the TPMS at home :banana:
2) You can buy what looks like a nice stand-alone device for as little as $1200. The competition ranges from $1900 (supported) to excess of $2000.
3) You can buy a different device, the ATEQ Quickset for $150. You’ll have to manually enter the ID codes on your computer before you plug into the OBD-II port. The only quibble with this device is that you need to know your sensor ID numbers.
4) None of these devices have Linux or Macintosh support - only MS Windows 32 bit - bah, humbug.

EDIT - Troubleshooting items mentioned later in this thread:
1) Make sure the QuickSet software is the most current version which is 2.2.1.17 at the time of this posting. There seems to be a bug in a prior version. Call ATEQ support if you have a problem. They seem to be ready to help if you need it.
2) When you use a query device like the Autel TS301 to trigger the sensor, aim the antenna towards the sensor through the tire (the rubber part), not through the wheel (the metal part). You'll see why.

UPDATE 3/19/10:
see post 113 http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2800196-post113.html for issues regarding changes with software update
it seems like my original statement that the software looks like it was written by a six year old is holding true with the software updates. Unfortunately, I think I know some six year olds who can do a better job

FWIW, I have not updated my ATEQ Quickset since this original post. Once you connect to your PC it holds both a summer and winter set of tires in its flash memory. When I mounted my summers a week or so ago, I just plugged into the OBD-II and pushed the summer button and everything worked well. No a$$ crack warning light.

UPDATE 4/30/11:
I've now gone through several swaps now and have had no issues with the Quickset device. No need to reprogram once you have the codes for two sets of wheels in the device.

I did run into an issue with the Autel sensor query device. I've discovered that while it works fine with my Subaru/Schrader TPMS sensors, it does not read the TRW sensors on my Toyota. Bah. I tried to get some software support and none to be found. As others have pointed out, the device was sold through Amazon but does not seem to be a USDM device, or at least not supported in the US. I tried emailing and calling Autel and get no replies. :tdown: Amazon does not seem to carry this anymore and the reviews for support have been poor.

I looked around for another sensor query device and it seems my choices are as in the original thread - devices from Bartec, ATEQ, and OTC/SPX. Costs run from ~$200-$700 for a query device.

I went ahead a purchased an ATEQ sensor query device, the ATEQ VT30 . I purchased through a vendor mentioned on the ATEQ website for about $240. This device works as advertised with both the Toyota/TRW and the Subaru/Schrader sensors and without a hitch. What's more, the software update seems to work and the ATEQ support seems to be good as others have mentioned.

Now for a requisite picture:
QuickSet Tool

See less See more
Reactions: AWDfreak
#13 ·
It is good info but for $1200 I'll put up with the blasted light staying on.....

#14 ·
Would someone please post a picture of the valve stem on the TPMS sensors that Tirerack uses? I'm hoping for black, but fear silver is what is used. Thanks for any pics.

Great news on this tool being available for those that want no light. $130 or whatever from Tirerack is not too bad. Way better than two trips to the dealer every year. I know, + cost of sensors. Anyway....still a good solution.

#15 ·
This is what I got last year. I wasn't that pleased, but after I exchanged the valve cap for the SSR black one that came with the wheel, you can hardly notice the color difference.

If you have a preference, I'm sure they will try to accommodate (I didn't know to ask at the time). They are limited to what Schrader makes for Subaru TPMS though.

This is what I found for a picture of a Subaru sensor from Schrader on Amazon

#16 ·
GREAT info. If you dont mind, Im going to quote this, in its entirety, on the 8thcivic.com as I had a TPMS thread there. This info should help those people as well... I will, of course, give credit where credit is due.

#17 ·
Appreciate it. The tools apply to pretty much all cars, but especially Asian cars that need to have the TCM put into a learn mode. For me, one of the selling points (for any of the devices) was that I could use it in our Toyota, as well as any future auto purchases.

#18 · (Edited)
I bought wheels and tires from Tire Rack last year with TPMS sensors. I had a fiasco where the dealer couldn't reset it, then Tire Rack thought they weren't really installed or the wrong ones were installed, so they sent new sensors (pics), turns out they were in there, same ones as the replacements, so I replaced them and sent the first sensors back. Turns out my dealer now knows how to reset them, so the first ones installed probably worked. Pics of the OEM BBS (cleanish) TPMS, First installed TPMS on dirty Tire Rack wheels, Replacement TPMS on boxes. Sorry I thought I had better photos of the sensors. There is some confusion as Tire Rack says Subaru could have put one of two types on your original wheels, but these are the ones on my '08.
I must say Tire Rack messed up at first by telling me they might not have been installed, but came through with great customer service. - If that TPMS module swap works, I now realize I have the serial numbers for the sensors in my winters!

EDIT: Found a clear shot of the replacement sensor. The pic above with the 4 sensors must be the ones that were removed (silver surround), but the main red sensor body looked the same.

#19 ·
So I was playing around on tirereack tonight. I noticed if you buy a set of wheels/tires with TPMS sensors, they now include this tool in the cart for $135. Pretty sure they weren't doing that before. Or did I miss something?

#20 ·
That's great - and that was something I saw posted on another forum during my research - when I queried TireRack a couple weeks ago, they had no idea what I was talking about - could be I just got a rep that was ill informed.

#21 ·
I wish you would have made this post about a week earlier. You would have saved me a poop load of searching and reading. Great job on putting all of this research together in one post :tup:

Unfortunately I don't know the ESN of any of the 8 senors I have. So, I guess, the electrical tape mod will be used come springtime.

#23 ·
TPMSoutlet seems to be the same as Revolution supply - just a different site. Same price if I remember.

I got my Autel off Amazon.

#34 ·
Saw those during my search but left out because they don't seem available here yet - not to mention I could not find what the MSRP will be or where to get them from.

If they are in the <$500 range, then that's the ticket. If they are more like then other all-in-one solutions in the >$1000 range, then they're probably not for everyone.

#30 ·
so wait.. if i just have my wheels on for a week trip to the snow and don't reprogram.. in other words i just deal with the light for the time being.. the light should go off on its own when i put the stock/normal wheels back on right? i'm just not running sensors for the winter wheels. i don't plan to have them on long enough for it to matter

#33 ·
the computer is not hooked the the car at the same time as reprogramming the quickset - so you can use any computer. I'd recommend the computer is close by though just in case you have to go back and forth like I did the first time.

#35 ·
First thanks to this write up and hoping for some input. I was directed to this by some fine folks over at NASIOC.com. I have an '09 Impreza Outback Sport.

I got a winter wheel/tire setup from Tire Rack (thanks Luke!) along with the ATEQ TPM QuickSet tool. After a couple small issues getting the software installed and getting it to read the tool on my laptop (thanks to the ATEQ Customer Support for being VERY helpful), I was able to follow the on-screen steps to connect the tool to the car, download the codes, connect to the computer, set codes, and try to upload back to the car.

Part of my issue is the software never says to manually enter the new sensor ID numbers in the tool, etc, etc.

Anyway, so the first time I tried to do it without adding anything manually for the new sensor ID's the light actually stayed off for about 2 days. Now the light comes on and flashes for about a minute and stays on solid until you turn the car off. I have tried working with the ATEQ Support guys. Gave them the sensor codes I got from Tire Rack, they gave me the Hexidecimal number to input, set that in the software, pushed to the tool, and connected tool to the car - but still getting the same thing: light goes out and stays off for about 5 miles and right at the 5 mile mark starts flashing for a minute and then stays on solid.

Now, I don't know which sensor is at which corner of the car so they are added arbitrarily right now. The ATEQ guys think that Subarus don't need them at the correct corners, but now thinking I will get the Autel tool to verify I have the correct sensor ID numbers, verify the sensors or working properly, and then input the correct sensors in the correct location in the software.

Also, the version of the software that I have will not take an 8 character Hexidecimal number. It actually pops up a message stating that Hexidecimal numbers need to be added as 6 characters and that decimal numbers need to be added as 8 characters.

Just wondering if anyone has any other thoughts, suggestions, or input while I wait for the Autel tool?

Thanks for your time.

Eric

#36 ·
First thanks to this write up and hoping for some input. I was directed to this by some fine folks over at NASIOC.com. I have an '09 Impreza Outback Sport.
No problem.

I got a winter wheel/tire setup from Tire Rack (thanks Luke!) along with the ATEQ TPM QuickSet tool. After a couple small issues getting the software installed and getting it to read the tool on my laptop (thanks to the ATEQ Customer Support for being VERY helpful), I was able to follow the on-screen steps to connect the tool to the car, download the codes, connect to the computer, set codes, and try to upload back to the car.
Good to hear that TireRack now has them. Was the price better than Revolution supply ($150)?

Part of my issue is the software never says to manually enter the new sensor ID numbers in the tool, etc, etc.

Anyway, so the first time I tried to do it without adding anything manually for the new sensor ID's the light actually stayed off for about 2 days. Now the light comes on and flashes for about a minute and stays on solid until you turn the car off. I have tried working with the ATEQ Support guys. Gave them the sensor codes I got from Tire Rack, they gave me the Hexidecimal number to input, set that in the software, pushed to the tool, and connected tool to the car - but still getting the same thing: light goes out and stays off for about 5 miles and right at the 5 mile mark starts flashing for a minute and then stays on solid.
It does sound like you are successfully clearing the TPMS MIL with the Quickset - then the system later detects a problem and the MIL re-activates. The problem choices are 1) wrong sensor codes entered (or more specifically, uploaded sensor codes not detected after driving), 2) malfunctioning TPMS sensor, or 3) malfunctioning TCM

Now, I don't know which sensor is at which corner of the car so they are added arbitrarily right now. The ATEQ guys think that Subarus don't need them at the correct corners, but now thinking I will get the Autel tool to verify I have the correct sensor ID numbers, verify the sensors or working properly, and then input the correct sensors in the correct location in the software.
ATEQ service is correct. The Subaru TCM and ECU 'know' which corner should have which sensor, but doesn't care that the sensor is in right location. This is stated somewhere in the service manual and allows you to rotate tires without having to reset the TCM.

Also, the version of the software that I have will not take an 8 character Hexidecimal number. It actually pops up a message stating that Hexidecimal numbers need to be added as 6 characters and that decimal numbers need to be added as 8 characters.
Hmm. My Quickset software wanted the ID number in 8 digits irrespective of hex or decimal. I'm not looking at it now so I cannot tell you the version number of my particular software. Subaru TCM wants the code in hex. For the software to recognize my entry I had to put two zeros in front of my 6 digit hex ID code.

The Autel tool spit back a six digit hex ID code for each of my TPMS sensors.

I bet that TireRack gave you an incorrect number somewhere or you have a non-functioning sensor. Bummer.

Remember, the Autel tool makes this more convenient at home - most tire shops and the Subaru dealer should also a TPMS tool to query the sensors, get the ID numbers and verify function. May be a cheaper route if you don't mind the inconvenience.

#38 ·
got my Quickset yesterday and was able to get the software installed and updated on my laptop running Vista 32bit. I do no thave my Autel yet. Damn Amazon shipped it USPS so it might be summer by the time it shows. :-( Oh well I guess that is my fault for getting "free" shipping.

Anyway I was able to use the tool to pull the codes fromt he ECU no problem. I just don't know my new codes to input yet. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it..

My Quickset Software ver is 2.2.1.12 and that is after the auto update?? odd that yours is 2.2.1.16

#39 ·
Well, since I have screen shots of the original ID's downloaded I thought I would try uninstall and reinstalling the software. Did that and now running version 2.2.1.11 and it did not update anything after opening.

Put both the stock and winter ID's in using Hexadecimal form with the leading 0's and this time it took it. So, when I get a chance time to upload those to the car again and see if it works this time. Otherwise will have to diagnose further with the other tool when that arrives.

#40 ·
My software is 2.2.1.11

They must have been updating it lately. Hopefully the software update isn't the issue.

#41 ·
My software is 2.2.1.11

They must have been updating it lately. Hopefully the software update isn't the issue.

Well, I uninstalled the software and re-installed from the CD. This time it was 2.2.1.11 and didn't do any updates. This time it also let me input the Hexadecimal numbers with two leading 0's, but I still got the TPMS light on again after about 5.5 miles of driving.

So, will wait til I get the other tool and read each of the sensors to see if I have the right sensor numbers, that the sensors are active and working properly, and go from there.

By the way, I have the metal valve stems instead of rubber. Anyone else using the metal valve stems?

#42 ·
so from what i gathered, you dont need to enter the codes that are already stored in the ecu this device can read and save them, you only need the new ones on your other set of wheels?

btw maybe silly question but have you checked your tire pressure make sure none are low

#43 ·
so from what i gathered, you dont need to enter the codes that are already stored in the ecu this device can read and save them, you only need the new ones on your other set of wheels?

btw maybe silly question but have you checked your tire pressure make sure none are low
Yup, tire pressures have been checked, rechecked, and rechecked again and all where they should be.

Thing is, when I have had low tire pressure the light will just come on and stay on. Now it comes on when you start the car, flashes for about a minute and then stays on solid. So thinking it is actually something else...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.