Wheel Survey! - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Wheel Survey!
Wheel Survey!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Wheel Survey!

Old 03-22-17, 07:03 AM   #11
ebricky
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: SWP 2014 STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Drivers mod!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ebricky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wheel Survey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
I filled out the survey. Didn't read your other posts before filling it out, otherwise I would have expressed more interest in Flawless Industries' products. I'm looking for quality lightweight wheels in the near term for track driving. In stock size specifically.

The loading that different offsets place on the wheel bearings seems to be overlooked by many big name companies, so if your company does offer quality lightweight wheels in stock sizing/offset (18x8.5" ET55) then that would immediately move the products near the top of my list.

What constitutes modifying? I have mudflaps and a dedicated set of snow tires/wheels, but I wouldn't count aftermarket wheels as a mod. I'm planning to do oil temp/pressure gauges too, but I still wouldn't count that as a mod lol.

Good luck with your venture OP! Keep us posted.
Any aftermarket part you've bought is considered a modification! Thanks for taking the survey.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-17, 07:06 AM   #12
ebricky
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: SWP 2014 STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Drivers mod!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ebricky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake Eater View Post
I had a look but didnt finish the survey, to open ended, asking questions about "would I buy" without any knowledge of cost, metallurgy, weight is pointless.

There are lots of quality manufacturers of rims out there, they are more expensive for a reason, and are purchased due to their characteristics.

There are alot of cheap rims out there to, because not everyone wants to pay for quality parts.

Good luck with your venture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluttyCat View Post
Done. Saw some grammar flaws, and there are some questions that I couldn't make an informed decision on because there wasn't enough information, like Cake Eater said.
Thanks guys. This is a preliminary survey gauging interest so I don't waste my time researching something that no one wants. Sorry there wasn't enough info, its supposed to be hypothetical. Thanks for the opinions, believe it or not I appreciate the negative feedback.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-22-17, 12:36 PM   #13
Cake Eater
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: All of them
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater will become famous soon enough

Didn't mean to sound negative, more of a critique.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-17, 12:47 PM   #14
Leemanfor
Silver Member

Car: 2012 Satin White STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor is on a distinguished road

Filled out

I always like more options
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-26-17, 07:07 AM   #15
murfnamedsmurf
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2012 DGM STI 5 door
Fav Mod: No car payment
My Subaru Parts for sale

murfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura aboutmurfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura about

Filled it out. So far I've only been buying OEM takeoffs which basically supports your theory that I am interested in high quality wheels but not at current prices. Plus I've had some premature wear and tear on other vehicles due to wheels being too far from factory spec, so I like that OEM wheels will have the correct offset, won't need a centering ring, etc.

I'm interested to see what you come up with. Obviously the margins must be a little better than average on high end wheels because there is no way they are doing enough volume to have really thin margins. BUT I'm not sure anyone could make a nice forged wheel (or comparable) for cheap enough for it to work out. You still have a somewhat finite number of people who care enough to swap to aftermarket wheels. A certain percentage of those guys purely want an aesthetic change. These are the ones who will put a 26 lb cast wheel on their car that came with 20.5lb forged ones. You'll never produce a "high end" wheel cheaply enough to be able to have profitability selling to these guys. On the other end of the spectrum you have guys who are willing to pay 2 or 3 grand for a nice set of wheels. For whatever reason, it's worth it to them. Some of them might even decline to buy your wheels because they aren't expensive enough to give them bragging rights about their pricey wheels. You see what I mean? So your idea really focuses on a fairly narrow element of what is already somewhat of a niche market - guys who are interested in swapping to aftermarket wheels, but are neither after the reputation of super-expensive wheels, nor are they insistent on only spending a very small amount of money.

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea or it won't work, I'm just throwing in my two cents. I guess I would be one of the people that fall in the middle. I am not willing to buy XXR, rota, etc, especially when my car came with nice lightweight BBS forged wheels. However, I don't see myself spending 3k on wheels alone. I'm not a flashy person and to me the return just is not worth what I'm paying in that case.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-27-17, 07:09 AM   #16
Jonnywachter
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 10' Red STI hatch
Fav Mod: Speedhut gauges
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jonnywachter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfnamedsmurf View Post
Filled it out. So far I've only been buying OEM takeoffs which basically supports your theory that I am interested in high quality wheels but not at current prices. Plus I've had some premature wear and tear on other vehicles due to wheels being too far from factory spec, so I like that OEM wheels will have the correct offset, won't need a centering ring, etc.

I'm interested to see what you come up with. Obviously the margins must be a little better than average on high end wheels because there is no way they are doing enough volume to have really thin margins. BUT I'm not sure anyone could make a nice forged wheel (or comparable) for cheap enough for it to work out. You still have a somewhat finite number of people who care enough to swap to aftermarket wheels. A certain percentage of those guys purely want an aesthetic change. These are the ones who will put a 26 lb cast wheel on their car that came with 20.5lb forged ones. You'll never produce a "high end" wheel cheaply enough to be able to have profitability selling to these guys. On the other end of the spectrum you have guys who are willing to pay 2 or 3 grand for a nice set of wheels. For whatever reason, it's worth it to them. Some of them might even decline to buy your wheels because they aren't expensive enough to give them bragging rights about their pricey wheels. You see what I mean? So your idea really focuses on a fairly narrow element of what is already somewhat of a niche market - guys who are interested in swapping to aftermarket wheels, but are neither after the reputation of super-expensive wheels, nor are they insistent on only spending a very small amount of money.

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea or it won't work, I'm just throwing in my two cents. I guess I would be one of the people that fall in the middle. I am not willing to buy XXR, rota, etc, especially when my car came with nice lightweight BBS forged wheels. However, I don't see myself spending 3k on wheels alone. I'm not a flashy person and to me the return just is not worth what I'm paying in that case.
Well said.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement