S204 dash kit install - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > IWSTI Lounge > How-To / Install > S204 dash kit install
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 06-02-06, 05:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Fav Mod: AST 4100s + Vorshlag camber plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

kts262 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation S204 dash kit install

S204 dash kit install

Last last week I finally made a trip to the post office to pick up my S204 dash kit that had been shipped to me from Japanparts. I figured I'd document the install for you all.

This guide can also be used for how to remove parts of your dash for things like:

- Stereo upgrades
- Short shifter installs
- S203 red hazard button install
- HVAC red light mod
- etc

the S204 dash trim will only fit on 05+ models, thus it's specific to 05+ Imprezas.

Install time should be ~45 minutes or so. It took me a bit over an hour with taking photos and running inside to double check a few things online.

Tools needed

- Philips head screw driver
- Pliers or something with grab (for removing cigarette lighter)
- 8mm socket + socket wrench
- Flat head screw driver (optional, for prying things if you need it, I didn't)

The kit

The kit is 12 pieces

1 x Shifter trim
1 x HVAC trim
1 x Center vent trim
1 x Ashtray/Cigarette lighter assembly
2 x Vent rings
3 x HVAC knob buttons (HVAC mode, HVAC percent/defroster, HVAC temperature)
3 x HVAC knob dials

Old dash removal

1. Unbutton the leather boot around the shift knob. The button is in the very front of the shifter.

2. Grab the shifter trim at the back near the DCCD controls. Curl your fingers around the trim by the leather boot and pull up. The trim will come out.

3. Disconnect the cigarette lighter connector. Press down on tab and pull.

4. Lift the shifter trim up over the shifter and put it aside.

5. Remove the 2 screws holding the HVAC trim down (pointed to in red)

6. Pull up and out on the HVAC trim and it will home out. There are 2 tabs holding it in up top, they are pointed to in white in the picture below. You will have to pull pretty hard and you might think you will break something but keep pulling and it will come off.

7. There are 2 electrical connectors and an air hose you need to disconnect off the back of the HVAC control unit.

8. Pull on the air hose and it will come off easily.

9. Push down on the tabs and these connectors will come off. (Sorry for the blurry photo)

It's hard to tell from this photo but they are different sizes so there is no risk of installing them backwards.

10. There are 4 screws holding the HVAC trim piece to the HVAC control unit. Remove them. (Pointed to in blue)

Free HVAC trim piece:

Free control unit:

11. Remove the 3 screws holding the center vents down. (Pointed to in blue)

12. Pull out the center vents and disconnect the wiring from the hazard button. Push down on the white tab and pull.

13. Your dash is removed. It should look something like this:

14. Remove the hazard button from the center vents if you are reusing it. Push down on the tab (pointed to in yellow) and push towards the front of the vents to remove.

Hazard button removed:

15. Next remove the cigarette lighter from the ashtray assembly. Use your pliers/rubber jar opener/something grippy to turn the ring that screws the cigarette lighter down. It has teeth to make life easier. A bit of work and it will come undone. Remove the back part and push the cigarette lighter out the front of the ashtray assembly.

The ring (pointed to in yellow)

16. Unscrew the 6 bolts (8mm) holding the shifter trim and boot into place. Then push the bolts out and set aside.

17. Push the shifter boot trim out from under the 4 tabs (pointed to in yellow) and set aside.

18. Remove the 5 screws holding the HVAC control unit together (pointed to in yellow)

19. Pull up on the tabs to remove the silver cover from the control unit hardware.

20. Turn the dials all down to the lowest settings. This will make it easier to pop the new dials on. Pull up on them and they will come off of the HVAC control unit. You may be worried you'll break something but don't worry you won't.

Install new dash pieces!

1. Pop the new HVAC dials onto the HVAC control unit. Put them close to the lowest setting and feel around. You'll feel it lock into place a bit. Push down on it until they snap on. Do the same for the center buttons.

Remember from left to right it's HVAC setting, HVAC percentage/defroster, and then HVAC temperature.

Then reconnect the HVAC control over and the control unit and put the 5 screws holding it in back together.

Finished product:

2. Put the hazard button into the center vent. From the front of us push it in until it locks into place.

3. Screw the new ashtray assembly into the shifter trim. It uses 4 bolts, remove the 4 bolts from the old ashtray assembly/shifter trim and re-use them. They are pointed to in yellow.

Put the cigarette lighter into the ashtray from the front. then from the back put the rear part with electrical connector and the ring to screw them together back together.

4. Place the shifter boot trim on the new shifter. Work it around the 4 plastic tabs to hold it into place and the reinstall the 6 bolts and nuts around the silver STi shifter trim. (nuts are 8mm.)

5. Screw the HVAC control unit to the new HVAC trim (4 screws)

6. Reconnect hazard button to the connector and put the center vent back into place. (3 screws)

7. Reconnect the electrical connectors and the air hose for the HVAC unit. Pop back into place and install the 2 screws to hold it down.

8. Reconnect the cigarette adapter power connector and pop the shifter trim assembly back into place.

You're done! (With the center console)

Vent rings

Most people say to get a flat-headed screwdriver back there in the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock positions and pull outward until the vent rings pop out. I thought they said to do it from the inside, but I did it from the outside and had no problems.

While doing this you might break one of the tabs on the old vent rings. My driver's side one came out whole, but one of the tabs on my passenger side broke off. Whoops. It will still reinstall just fine in case you ever decide to revert back to stock.

What the back of the vent ring looks like.

Tools needed:

- Flat-head screwdriver
- Electrical tape (Use this to cover the flat-head screwdriver so you don't scratch anything)

1. I found it was easiest to get the screwdriver between the outside of the ring and the dash around the 3 o'clock position and then pull outward. The ring will pop out.

2. Line up the new vent ring into the same position as the one you just popped out and push in. It will snap into place and you're done.

Installed S204 vent ring:

3. Repeat for the passenger side. I also went at it from the 3 o'clock position but this time I broke one of the tabs on the vent ring.

Installed passenger ring:

Broken tab.

You're done! (With the whole install)

The finished product:

Boy do I need to vacuum my carpets and install a new headunit to match the dash kit.

TRM 23-AUG-2006: added to the How-To catalog sticky

Last edited by kts262; 05-20-09 at 08:39 AM.
kts262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 06:08 AM   #2
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

lilneel12 is on a distinguished road

that looks REALLY good!
lilneel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 06:53 AM   #3
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wjc04wrx is an unknown quantity at this point

How much was the kit?
wjc04wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 07:12 AM   #4

My Subaru Parts for sale

~$250ish or so shipped from Japanparts.com. They have a 4-6 week delay in getting the kits so plan on waiting a bit.
Old 06-03-06, 05:08 AM   #5
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Car: 06 Suabru STI 2006
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

tossty is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up S204 Dash Kit

Nice DIY write up, thinking now about doing it.
Old 06-03-06, 07:21 AM   #6
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 05 STi
Fav Mod: fix-it tickets
My Subaru Parts for sale

SUBIRU is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SUBIRU

thats awesome.. are the hvac controls red now since u replace the green part?

MY2005 STi / PSM
IWSTI Journal
SUBIRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 07:32 AM   #7
/////////
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Car: 2012 M3
Fav Mod: CHeckbook
My Subaru Parts for sale

Insane06STi is on a distinguished road

Night pics please.
Old 06-03-06, 08:17 AM   #8

My Subaru Parts for sale

I'll try to take some night pics for you all tonight. I've been a bit busy at work and haven't had time.

The light on the dials is red, although it's somewhat faint. The light on the HVAC buttons are still an orangish color. I may try to pull them off and mod it later, I'm not sure yet.

Now I need the AVN-6600 to replace the stereo that doesn't match anymore.
Old 06-03-06, 09:54 AM   #9

My Subaru Parts for sale

UPDATE: Did the vent rings and update the install with info on installing them.

Next: pics tonight of the dash lit up for you all.
Old 06-03-06, 11:30 AM   #10
TRM
wie geht es ihnen?

Car: 04 STi
Fav Mod: driving lessons
My Subaru Parts for sale

TRM is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to TRM

dude, nice install write up!