Remove Rear Seats 2009 STI - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > IWSTI Lounge > How-To / Install > Remove Rear Seats 2009 STI
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 07-04-10, 05:45 PM   #1
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2009 OBP STI
Fav Mod: P&L Exhaust
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remove Rear Seats 2009 STI

Decided that I was going to put a bolt-in rear roll cage so removing the rear seats was inevitable. In the event that I no longer need the cage or decide to sell the car down the line and return it to stock, I wanted to make sure I remembered how I removed the seats and in what order, to make re-installing them easy and idiot proof (something I sometimes rely on). Figured that a little write up and a few pictures would accomplish this.

I did search a bit (here and on NASIOC) to find some information on this and didn't really come up with anything aside from "Pull up on seat" so if this is already out there, please forgive me and ignore.

Warning

I am not sure how the airbag sensors work but apparently there are three of them located under the seat cushion (center, right, left). That being said, I am not sure how they react to certain amounts of pressure so I was careful where I set tools and where I was kneeling. Once the seat cushion is removed and you begin work on the backrest, I would also use caution when folding the backrest down as it will no longer have the seat cushion to rest on, meaning that it may hit one of these sensors. Just keep this in mind and you will see what I am talking about once the seat cushion is removed.

Seats

There are two parts to the rear seats: 1) The cushion (you sit on this) and 2) The backrest (backrest and headrest piece). Each section comes out separately and they are not attached to each other.

Tools

I used a 3/8" ratchet wrench with a small extension and a 12mm socket.

The Cushion

3 clips that hold the seat cushion down, one in the middle of the seat and one on the left and right side underneath. You can feel them if you slide your hand under the cushion, but of course, this is not necessary.

By lifting in the center up a bit you can actually see the center clip. I started on the left (drivers) side and just lifted up on the cushion and it popped up. I then went around to the right (passenger) side and popped that up, then did the same for the center. It seemed to work easier than starting in the center for some reason. Once you have pulled up all three sides, the whole cushion will come out. Was surprised at how light it is. You will have to do a little jiggling to get the seat belts free from the cushion.

The Backrest

You may choose to just remove the headrests at this point. They are pretty self explanatory.

The removal of the backrest takes a little more time, but is not terribly difficult.

You will notice the backrest is split into two sections, the smaller section on the left (drivers) side and the larger right (center and passenger) side.
At the bottom you can see the center bracket that is attached to the backrest and on the right and left at the bottom you can see the bar that goes through the right and left brackets.

The first thing I did was to fold the left (driver) side down and unsnap the cloth flap that goes under the trunk mat (this is the mat that covers the spare). Next I did the center/right (passenger) side. Just pull up on these and they come right up. Mine had 4 purple clips (two on each side) that held the flaps down. Be careful that these clips don't fall out and get lost. Make sure they are secured in the slots on the flap or you will lose them.

Now, there are two brackets you will be removing (one on the right and one on the left). The center bracket is attached to the backrest and will remain with it when it is removed. There are two 12mm bolts per bracket for the right and left and a 12mm bolt and 12mm nut for the center bracket.

Go ahead and remove the five 12mm bolts and the one 12mm nut. Again, the center bracket is attached to the bottom of the backrest and comes out with it and the right and left side brackets will come out separately.
Here you can see me removing the left (driver) side bracket. Notice the hole where I circled, this is where the bar (bottom right and left side of backrest) fits into. Also, notice the LH engraved at the bottom of the bracket indicating the side the bracket goes. They thought of everything

Once the bolts are removed, you can remove the right and left side bracket. The brackets are kind of tricky as they are hidden up behind the plastic and are removed by rocking the backrest back and forth until they free up. You may have to jiggle the whole backrest (comes out in one piece) to free it.

Here is the only hardware you will be removing with the backseat.

This is the finished removal shot. The middle seat belts can be removed and I will probably be doing this as well.

That's pretty much all I can think of. Total time was about 1/2 hour.

Last edited by Noek; 07-04-10 at 07:35 PM.
Noek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 05:41 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 09
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

2dino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Remove Rear Seats 2009 STI

Nice.

May I ask do you have a close up of the white holes/clip(s) the bottom cushion hooks sit in?
Reason I have hard time trying to pull the cushion off so I wonder is there a kind of spring lock in there or do I simply need to pull harder.

Thks.
2dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 05:47 AM   #3

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I can post up a picture later today. Like I said in the how-to, best to start at the sides and pull up the center last. Grab a corner and wiggle it a bit, then pull up and it should free up.

I will be adding to the how to later this evening as this morning is the first road test since removal and despite my loud exhaust, there is an unbearable vibration coming from the rear. It may be the seat belts, but after I troubleshoot and fix it, I will post the source.
Old 07-05-10, 11:22 AM   #4

Car: 09
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

2dino is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noek View Post
I can post up a picture later today. Like I said in the how-to, best to start at the sides and pull up the center last. Grab a corner and wiggle it a bit, then pull up and it should free up.

I will be adding to the how to later this evening as this morning is the first road test since removal and despite my loud exhaust, there is an unbearable vibration coming from the rear. It may be the seat belts, but after I troubleshoot and fix it, I will post the source.
Great, thanks.
2dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 06:45 PM   #5

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

The vibration as coming from the square white plastic cover (houses a sensor for something) pictured at the bottom of this image. I simply removed it with no problems whatsoever and the annoying rattling is gone.

Old 10-14-10, 07:47 PM   #6
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: WRB/Gold 08 STi
Fav Mod: E85 smell
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

burnstacp is an unknown quantity at this point

Any idea how much weight savings you get from removing them?
burnstacp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 10:16 AM   #7
Contributor

Car: 09 GRF STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Koncept is an unknown quantity at this point

I just removed them as well. You won't save much but it is close to 15 kg.
Anyone have some ideas how to cover the floor after removing the rear seats?
Koncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 07:29 AM   #8
Contributor

Car: Blue 2008 Subaru STi
Fav Mod: Cobb AccessPort
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Geoff08STi is an unknown quantity at this point

is there anyway to get around the airbag sensors? Would unplugging the battery disable them, and once the seats are out is there a way to unplug the sensors so that you don't have to worry about them.
Geoff08STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 09:26 AM   #9
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: Dark Gray 2009 sti
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

czecho is an unknown quantity at this point

coukd you take a picture of were those three clips for the bottom part of the seats are located... was thinking of doing this and putting some electrical tape on the hooks to stop some vibration.

Since that helped with the fold down part.
czecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 10:06 AM   #10
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: WRB/Gold 08 STi
Fav Mod: E85 smell
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

burnstacp is an unknown quantity at this point

You can cover the back area by using velcro strips and black or gray fabric
burnstacp is offline   Reply With Quote