STi Wheels Ruined - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > GR Series STi Discussion (2008+) > GR-General > GR-Tires & Wheels > STi Wheels Ruined
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-09, 05:55 AM   #1
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: 05 STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Tasa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tasa
Default STi Wheels Ruined

On Saturday I decided to be a wonderful girlfriend and deliver Starbucks to my boyfriend while he was at work. In return he offered to get my car hand washed for me. (He is a service advisor at a local Audi dealership) 1 hour and 45 minutes later, I walked out to find my car all sparkly and clean. Except for the wheels....
(This is the worst one out of all 4, the others are similar but not as... tie die looking)

I asked the detailer why he didn't clean my wheels. He said that he did & that black stuff wouldn't come off. I tried rubbing it off with my finger... didn't work. Of course I got mad immediately... this is my first "new" car, this is a $30k car... & the wheels are ruined! I needed to cool off a little bit, so I took my car to Subaru. Their detailer tried getting the black stuff off, he was not successful.

My boyfriend called me and told me to come back b/c he talked to the detailers boss and he wanted to see the wheels. So I went back, spoke with the guy and ended up having to leave my car with them. During the rest of the work day they had come to the conclusion that the detailer used an Acid based industrial wheel cleaner on my dirty wheels and instead of cleaning them immediately he let it dry which basically baked the brake dust and acid to my wheels. They are ordering something (not sure what the product is called) to try to get them back to normal today, and if that doesn't work they will be buying me a new set of wheels.

EDIT: Dealership refused to have anything to do with the situation. I had to buy a new set of stockers. See FS Ad for 'ruined' ones, CHEAP!

sold: 2011 PBP STi Ltd Sedan / 2004 PSM FXT Ltd / 2002 Light Purple Snow Camo WRX / 2002 PSM WRX Wagon / 2001 Silver n' Gold slammed OBS

CL Photography / Impacted Wraps / autoception

Last edited by Tasa; 12-09-09 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-23-09, 06:17 AM   #2
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 2008 OBP STi
Fav Mod: ProTuned by Ed
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

dana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: STi Wheels Ruined

That sucks. And people wonder why we are so anal about letting people work on our cars!!! A simple detail turns into this. Keep your head up it will be ok
Old 11-23-09, 06:24 AM   #3
IWSTI Guru
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: 20G-XT
My Subaru Parts for sale

BAD STI is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't believe that they use acid. I know it is used but I figured most detailers would want to use something a little safer for liability reasons. That sucks. I hope they fix it. If not you'll be getting some new wheels.
Old 11-23-09, 06:33 AM   #4
Platinum Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm pretty disappointed. Not to mention - IF whatever this stuff that they're ordering works, they will still have to get all of my wheels recoated. Which will require the tires being dismounted and most likely countless hours of my time being wasted.

sold: 2011 PBP STi Ltd Sedan / 2004 PSM FXT Ltd / 2002 Light Purple Snow Camo WRX / 2002 PSM WRX Wagon / 2001 Silver n' Gold slammed OBS

Old 11-23-09, 06:52 AM   #5
IWSTI Guru

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasa View Post
I'm pretty disappointed. Not to mention - IF whatever this stuff that they're ordering works, they will still have to get all of my wheels recoated. Which will require the tires being dismounted and most likely countless hours of my time being wasted.
I'd be supprised if they got them recoated vs replacing them. If it get to this I'd demand having them replaced. Tell them that if they are only willing to recoat them you will make them re do it until it is 100% perfect.
Old 11-23-09, 06:58 AM   #6
Platinum Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm sure they will take good care of me. IMO, They will never be the same if they end up 'fixing' them, instead of replacing them.

Old 11-23-09, 07:24 AM   #7
IWSTI Guru

My Subaru Parts for sale

Thats why you need to make sure they understand you will take nothing less than wheels in flawless condition. Let them know that if they try to fix them they will most likely have to redo it multiple times to get them perfect and exceed the cost of new wheels.
Old 11-23-09, 07:40 AM   #8
Platinum Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I think I made myself pretty clear that this problem needs to be fixed immediately. I can't make too big of a scene b/c I don't want anyone to get fired, including my boyfriend.

Old 11-23-09, 07:44 AM   #9
IWSTI Guru

My Subaru Parts for sale

^ OHHH! So your boyfriend works there. Man that sucks. It adds a whole new issue into the mix.
Old 11-23-09, 07:52 AM   #10
Platinum Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
On Saturday I decided to be a wonderful girlfriend and deliver Starbucks to my boyfriend while he was at work. In return he offered to get my car hand washed for me. (He is a service advisor at a local Audi dealership)

Ya... I mean, he didn't do anything 'illegal' b/c other people wash cars other than Audi's there all of the time. I guess the detailer has messed up more than once, and it's just unfortunate that he messed up on my car, which technically shouldn't have been there in the first place. The 'boss guy' understands completely, and I apologized for being any inconvenience. We are both on the same page... I will just need to lock my doors and night and watch my back b/c I guess they will be taking the cost of fixing my wheels out of the detailers paycheck. Which can never be a good time, especially considering it's the holidays.

Closed Thread