Power steering squeal fixed!! - Page 26 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Power steering squeal fixed!!
Power steering squeal fixed!!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Power steering squeal fixed!!

Old 04-13-17, 04:54 PM   #251
oharao2
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: OBP '08 WRX STi
Fav Mod: The SS and H&R coilovers but WL sways are great too
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

oharao2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Power steering squeal fixed!!

Also please try the bleed without turning the wheel. See if it helps. A tech gave me the advice.

Also I'm assuming after each event you are sucking the rez dry until it turns back to normal color and bleeding the system. Also it never hurts to run some thing like amsoil, motu or red line for track events. They tend to be a little more stout.

Last edited by oharao2; 04-13-17 at 07:08 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-17, 08:05 AM   #252
GravyRobber
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: '17 STi
Fav Mod: Seat time
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

GravyRobber is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep that's what I'm doing.

I'll have to double check, but if air were entering the system, wouldn't you see bubbles? Because I'm not getting any bubbles in the reservoir at any point. The steering feels perfectly fine, even when it's making the noise, the steering feels normal. I'd think that if air were getting introduced into the system, that steering feel would be noticeable changed.

In other threads, a few people have taken their car to the dealer and had several parts replaced including the pump and rack, and the sound is still persistent. Others have never had the sound at all, and most have had the dealer tell them that it's normal. What is consistent, though, is that the people who have installed a cooler have reported a 100% fix, and it seems to be lasting long term. I've ordered the cooler and all the parts needed, I was just hoping a fluid change might help in the mean time. The way I am going to install the cooler is 100% reversible, so I'm not too worried about that. Once I get it installed, I'll report back.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-17-17, 03:27 PM   #253
oharao2

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyRobber View Post
Yep that's what I'm doing.

I'll have to double check, but if air were entering the system, wouldn't you see bubbles? Because I'm not getting any bubbles in the reservoir at any point. The steering feels perfectly fine, even when it's making the noise, the steering feels normal. I'd think that if air were getting introduced into the system, that steering feel would be noticeable changed.

In other threads, a few people have taken their car to the dealer and had several parts replaced including the pump and rack, and the sound is still persistent. Others have never had the sound at all, and most have had the dealer tell them that it's normal. What is consistent, though, is that the people who have installed a cooler have reported a 100% fix, and it seems to be lasting long term. I've ordered the cooler and all the parts needed, I was just hoping a fluid change might help in the mean time. The way I am going to install the cooler is 100% reversible, so I'm not too worried about that. Once I get it installed, I'll report back.
Hmm you should. Maybe air only gets in when the system has expanded due to heat. Maybe take it for a spirited run and then pop the cover.

Seems like a sound plan witn the cooler if the dealer can't fix it. That said if it squeals at all there's something wrong and I'd fight them until SOA gets involved. The only time my 08 has had any noise was when my pump was dying.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-17, 05:36 PM   #254
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Nut behind wheel
My Subaru Parts for sale

tastetickles will become famous soon enoughtastetickles will become famous soon enough

I have read instances of people experiencing leak like behaviour but no fluid leak that is apparent. The fix was replacing the clamps as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-18-17, 05:06 AM   #255
GravyRobber
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I'll do a good spirited drive this week, and have a friend hold the wheel in a position that produces the sound while I check the reservoir. I've already sort of done that, and listened around the engine bay for any noise and its dead silent. If I get under the dash, I can hear the sound comig up the steering column. Someone earlier said that the noise is fluid vaporizing in the rack, and the sound is traveling up the column and into the cabin. Based on my experience, I can definitely see that.

I don't know much about steering racks, but if incredibly hot fluid is flowing under high pressure, then moved to an unpressurized part of the system (return line), I could see how the pressure change could make the fluid momentarily boil/vaporize. It still doesn't make sense to me that some cars are perfectly silent, while many others make this exact noise. I guess I can chalk it up to just being a noisy Subaru.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-18-17, 09:00 AM   #256
GravyRobber
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Just for reference:

Cold:
2017 STi Steering (Cold) - YouTube

Warm:
2017 STi Steering (Warm) - YouTube

Videos taken on the same day within 15 minutes of each other. There are many videos from others with the exact same noise and symptoms on GR's and VA's. Very strange.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 11:42 AM   #257
oharao2

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Completely bizarre...none of the people with older Grs have had this complaint. And I've followed the people with older GRs that swapped to the new rack and I haven't seen the complaints. Just odd I wonder if the changed seal manufacturers mid cycle on the 17s or something.

Last edited by oharao2; 04-19-17 at 05:59 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-17, 03:49 PM   #258
Tiir
Becoming A Contributor

Car: WRB 2017 STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Tiir is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll chime in as well. My 2017 STI is doing the same hissing noise or pressure releasing type noise as if the steering is at a full lock; but it's not at a full lock: the noise happens whenever the steering is turned slightly from the straight position at slow parking lot speeds or being stationary. I took a video, but haven't had a chance to upload it: it's pretty much similar to GravyRobber's warm steering video mine just seems like it's louder; but it could just be the audio in the video.

Until just recently never heard it. After looking online to see if it's a known problem, I find that other people have experienced it (with ironically the fix being a cooler) after putting two and two together it started to make sense to me logically. My experience with the noise wasn't until I had to drop off my son at school in the morning which I started doing around the time it started to make this noise (about 2 weeks; now it consistently does it pretty much everyday I come back to work after dropping him off as I pull into my work parking lot which is a 1.4 mile ride. At least the scenario for me is as I'm waiting in a line of cars to drop him off, I have to make several turns at a very slow speed which only makes me assume that while not moving everything is getting heat soaked and the power steering is being used allot more than usual along with the short commute back to work which also required several lower speed turns, and in addition after looking at the lines the high and low side power steering lines are next to the turbo heat shield which is causing the power steering system to overheat.

So, if a cooler does truly fix it due to heat; what jack wagon decided this car didn't need a power steering cooler for the USDM is what I'm curious about.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-17, 06:36 PM   #259
Noximus
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really nice
Default Power steering squeal fixed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiir View Post
So, if a cooler does truly fix it due to heat; what jack wagon decided this car didn't need a power steering cooler for the USDM is what I'm curious about.

The same jack wagon that decided we needed ULH, a 2.5L engine, emission controls and bunch of deleted JDM functions that could have been useful here.

Last edited by Noximus; 04-27-17 at 04:35 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-06-17, 08:47 AM   #260
GravyRobber
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I have all the parts for my cooler...just have to get around to installing it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement