GR Hatch: TINA: Daily driven, STU prepped...looking for Help... - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
TINA: Daily driven, STU prepped...looking for Help...
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: TINA: Daily driven, STU prepped...looking for Help...
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 12-02-16, 09:53 AM   #1
Jonnywachter
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 10' Red STI hatch
Fav Mod: Speedhut gauges
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jonnywachter is on a distinguished road
Default TINA: Daily driven, STU prepped...looking for Help...

Latest picture of the car:
more pictures can be found here Jonny Wachter (@jonnywachter) Instagram photos and videos
Racecar mode:

Current mods are:

UPDATED:5/11/2017

Sponsors:
Speedhut custom gauges. Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod
Whiteline suspension. Whiteline Performance Suspension Activate More Grip
Reflected Image Motorsports. https://www.reflectedimagemotorsports.com/

-Suspension:
-White line front and rear 22mm sway bars, adjustable end links, rear sway mounts, greaseless bushings.
-Whiteline KDT901 Front Gearbox - positive shift kit bushing
-Whiteline KSR207 Front Steering - rack & pinion bushing
-Whiteline KTA216 Rear Control arm - lower arm
-Whiteline W63225 Rear Control arm - upper inner bushing
-Whiteline KTA147 Rear Toe arm - arm
-Whiteline W0568 Rear Trailing arm - lower front bushing
-Perrin rear subframe lockdown kit
-Perrin rear diff lockdown kit (not STU legal)
-energy suspension front LCA poly bushings
-BC BR coilovers 10k Front, 11K rear swift springs

-Motor:
-invidia N1 race exhaust
-Megan racing catless DP
-AEM CAI
-Cobb Accessport v3
-ARP head studs

-Interior
-Speedhut A/F wideband, boost, and oil pressure gauges
-Speedhut SST Max shift light
-Perrin shift knob
-custom harness bar
-Sparco harness's
-Speedhunters limmited #3/100 steering wheel
-NRG steering wheel hub

-Exterior
-Perrin antenna
-Perrin gurney flap (not STU legal)
-some kinda plastic lip
-Move over racing front bumber cover mount

-Wheels:
-daily: SBC RPF1's 18x9.5 et+15
-race: Silver RPF1's 18x9.5 et+15

I bought this car June of 2014 not really even in the market for an STI. I started my Subaru passion with a 2005 Legacy GT, but that wasn't cutting it for me. Wanting something that was rear wheel drive and normally aspirated I strayed away from the Subaru culture and picked up a 1989(?) E30, It leaked oil all over, literally everything. I got rid of that and picked up a second E30 that was supposedly very well kept (This one didn't leak any oil at least) so I drove it for a couple months and got tired of it. I wanted a newer car with all the creature comforts new cars come with, I came across this small dealer in LA with a Lightning Red STI with 50,000 miles on it. I always wanted an STI but never thought I could afford one. This car just caught my eye in a special way, I had never seen another red hatchback. Fast forward a couple days and I ended up driving the car home a week later. There it was my dream car. I didn't have the mod bug at all when I bought it, after all it was an STI, what needed to be done? Well, turns out quite a bit....

2005 Legacy GT: bought it completely stock, thought "stance" was cool

1st E30: bought it like this.

2nd E30: I had lots of plans for this one.

Finally, the car this build thread is about: 2010 STI, When I drove it home. June/ 2014

So I didn't originally plan on any mods. As luck would have it, my insurance agent just so happened to drive a 2009 STI that he decided to trade in about a month after I bought my car. We traded stock parts for his after market parts... White line sways and endlinks and a Cusco H-brace...

Then came up on some STI BBS:

Did a track day up at willow springs (streets of willow)

Put the pass on my little bro...

I drove the car like this until I moved to Utah from Southern California in September 2015. Got the itch to have that boxer rumble back, so I went to stage 2. Megan racing DP, Invidia N1 race catback, AEM intake...

With the stage 2, I wanted to be able to monitor all the vitals. I installed a set of Speedhut gauges. Considering that is the company I work at, it was about time I got them in my car. We will also be using my car for further development for automotive instruments...

I discovered the Utah SCCA Auto-x region and decided to give it a try. I had already done a couple of auto-x in the past so I knew what I was getting myself into, Although I really didn't. The Utah region is a decent size compared to what I have seen in the past and its quite competitive. I immediately found out my wallet was in a world of trouble. I ran the first couple events at stage 2 but that wasn't "legal" for my class, although no one was saying anything I went back to the stock intake and DP for the time being until I could get a pro-tune with out the boost being changed.

To be competitive I had to be able to set up my car, I found a member selling RCE camber plates and RCE yellow springs, I got a great deal on the parts so it was a good step up from what I had on the car. I also put on some Kumho V720's. Running -2.7* in the front and -2* in the rear, The car sits much nicer now and handles a lot better. I improved my lap times by roughly 2 seconds.

Had to do an alignment...

At one point back in California, I traded a guy my stock 5 spoke wheels, for these beautiful ISC RCA's...

Met Jeff from Perrin at the Rallysport Direct meet and greet and he ended up sending me a prototype 2008+ STI gurney flap. I love this look...

At this point, I am very happy with how the car is coming along and didn't really have any more plans for the time being. Well my close friend had a set of NT03's that he wasn't using so we threw them on my car for the rest of the auto-x season...

The season came to and end, I ended up pulling off a good amount of overall top 10s in the PAX which I was very happy with. Winter was coming and I needed to get some all season tires on because these (almost bald) Kumhos weren't going to cut it. Purchased a set of SBC RPF1's from Aaron at Reflected Image Motorsports, and now this is how the cars sits for the winter.

I plan on updating this thread with everything I do from here on out. I plan to have a very well prepped STU GR chassis. Hopefully, I can make it competitive with the Evo's and GD's that rule our local STU class currently.

Attached Thumbnails
TINA: Daily driven, STU prepped...looking for Help...-6stu-cropped-2-jpg  

Last edited by Jonnywachter; 05-22-17 at 12:19 PM.
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 12-02-16, 09:54 AM   #2
Jonnywachter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: TINA: Daily driven, Monthly Auto-x'd

reserved

Last edited by Jonnywachter; 12-02-16 at 10:16 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-02-16, 10:36 AM   #3
tylerandreas
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Wingless
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerandreas has a spectacular aura abouttylerandreas has a spectacular aura abouttylerandreas has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: TINA: Daily driven, Monthly Auto-x'd

Finally.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-05-16, 04:43 PM   #4
lowbee
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: DGM 11 STi hatchback
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

lowbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TINA: Daily driven, STU prepped.

Very nice, can you get a better shot of the Gurney flap ? I love to get one. Do you know when they will be available for 08+ hatch ?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-05-16, 05:34 PM   #5
Jonnywachter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Last email I got from Jeff was that they are done with the part, they just need to put together a press release. I'm not sure what they are waiting for. I'd try contacting them about it and you might be able to score an early production piece.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-05-16, 07:27 PM   #6
user1029
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

looks great

If you own a built motor, read this: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/built-mo...nvestment.html
If you own a Cobb AP, read this: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/faq-newb...onitoring.html
Power Progression Guide: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ing-stars.html
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-04-17, 09:59 AM   #7
Jonnywachter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks for the support guys! I have a little update. I came up on some bigger tires at 265/40/18. I really like the look of how meaty these things are. I'm now rubbing my front fender liners quite bad, specifically right where they tie into the front bumper cover. This has caused the cover to pop off sometimes. My solution is coming by the end of this week though. I purchased the Move over racing quick release setup and new fender liners. Also to help with stopping wear, I ordered some PTFE adhesive backed material that I will add to the specific area where its rubbing. hopefully this works. Pics of the new tires:

Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 01-09-17, 09:21 AM   #8
Jonnywachter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

The Gurney flap is now available!

Gurney Flap for 2009-14 WRX Hatchback, 2008-14 STI Hatchback
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-17, 08:33 AM   #9
Jonnywachter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quick little update, Winters almost over it seems like, but my car definitely isn't a garage queen.

Anyway, some parts are trickling is for this season of racing. New tires showed up Hankook Ventus rs-3's in the latest compound. I personally don't have any experience with these, but everyone locally seems to love them. I got a great deal on them so I couldn't pass it up.

I came up on a used set of BC BR coilovers also. These aren't the best coilovers by any means, but they should help get the job done for this season. Unfortunately, when I got them I pulled them apart to measure for new swift springs and found that the front cartridges were different lengths. I have sorted all that out at this point and have a new cartridge on the way along with springs in a 10k front and 11K rear setup. I may order a set of 12K rears also to try.

Another little thing I did to help keep my bumper on, I installed these Move Over Racing quick release mounts. Now when I'm running over cones or scraping out of driveways I don't have to worry about my bumper falling off.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-10-17, 05:29 PM   #10
Jonnywachter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Coilovers and LCA bushings are all reads for tomorrows install.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0