Speedhut A/F Gauge
AEM Wideband Controller
Speedhut Oil Pressure Gauge
DAMD D-Shaped Wheel

Wheels/Tires:
STI BBS
Hankook RS3 255/35/18
Perrin 20mm Spacers

Background: I stalked the forums for about a year before I decided that I really wanted an STI. I put my order in for an STI limited SWP, sun roof, and nav in around February, and picked it up June 6, 2013. It was a horrible, horrible wait. But it happened!

Finally, the time has come for me to create a build thread since I have more than a few modifications. So I have come to the point to build my motor. I went through one engine at 22k miles while completely stock. Ring land failure. Fortunately warranty covered it. But now, at 52k miles, I have two spun bearings(3 and 4).

Car has been down since June 2016, but I'm currently in the works of getting everything together. The list below will be organized like most peoples threads. Current, ordered, future purchases, etc, you get the point.

----------------------------------------

IMG_1281 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

First day:

IMG_1526 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr View attachment 42951

Attachments

See less See more
#37 ·
Re: IAG, Flex Fuel, Racekor.

Im jealous of that parts pile you have there..

My motor just got back from my machine shop today and is going in next week too so I feel you on missing hearing that rumble and wanting it back. Yours looks like its going to be a sick build!
That stack of parts consist of 4 months of 2 jobs and 80-90 hours a week. So it comes at a price. Haha but too me, completely worth it! So pumped for it all.

Also, I just posted in your build thread about the same thing pretty much at the same time. haha

#38 ·

I know first hand how hard it is to ammass a pile of
Parts, how glorious the pieces look all neatly
Stacked together, and how satisfying it is once
Everything is installed. Love them customs sti
Gauges btw. Have u considered the doing a gtx3076
Down the line, instead of the blouch 1.5?

#39 ·

I know first hand how hard it is to ammass a pile of
Parts, how glorious the pieces look all neatly
Stacked together, and how satisfying it is once
Everything is installed. Love them customs sti
Gauges btw. Have u considered the doing a gtx3076
Down the line, instead of the blouch 1.5?

I have, that's actually the turbo I want. But I don't know. Sometimes I worry I've put too much money into this build already and I should just do that.

We will see what happens around my bonus/taxes time and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#52 ·

TL;DR, block is getting sent back to Prime Motoring cause it's not what I thought I was getting. Here is the story.

They posted a 2015 STI motor on IG with CP pistons with 1500 miles for $1000. Which was awesome. I wrote them instantly and told them hey, how much more would it cost to put in King or ACL race bearings with Manley Rods. They said an extra $1200. I was like yes do it.

Well, next day they wrote me and said the block had been sold but they can build me another one for the same price. But we ended up switching to Wiseco pistons. I waited 3 weeks, still haven't started, waited another 2 weeks and ask if they started yet. They said they were trying to find a nice block. Which was cool, and sucky. So they finally write me and tell me they found a really nice block and they are going to get it put together for me.

After looking the block over when I got it, it looks like it's in rough shape. Like a lot of salty winters. Which was sad to start with, cause the 2015 block had 1500 miles on it and looked brand new. Deck surfaces weren't cleaned, it wasn't honed which concerns me about rings seating properly, and there was a broken bolt in the bell housing. Which really pisses me off cause how effortless was that they couldn't even take that out. Just makes me think they didn't look the block over at all.

So yea, it wasn't expensive, and probably my own fault for not specifically saying do this stuff. Just expected a shop like that to do it because I feel like that is work that SHOULD be done in the first place. End of the day I'm really disappointed. I'm more sad because I thought I was 2 weeks out from driving my car again after 6 months. I guess I get to wait longer.

/rant

#54 ·

TL;DR, block is getting sent back to Prime Motoring cause it's not what I thought I was getting. Here is the story.

They posted a 2015 STI motor on IG with CP pistons with 1500 miles for $1000. Which was awesome. I wrote them instantly and told them hey, how much more would it cost to put in King or ACL race bearings with Manley Rods. They said an extra $1200. I was like yes do it.

Well, next day they wrote me and said the block had been sold but they can build me another one for the same price. But we ended up switching to Wiseco pistons. I waited 3 weeks, still haven't started, waited another 2 weeks and ask if they started yet. They said they were trying to find a nice block. Which was cool, and sucky. So they finally write me and tell me they found a really nice block and they are going to get it put together for me.

After looking the block over when I got it, it looks like it's in rough shape. Like a lot of salty winters. Which was sad to start with, cause the 2015 block had 1500 miles on it and looked brand new. Deck surfaces weren't cleaned, it wasn't honed which concerns me about rings seating properly, and there was a broken bolt in the bell housing. Which really pisses me off cause how effortless was that they couldn't even take that out. Just makes me think they didn't look the block over at all.

So yea, it wasn't expensive, and probably my own fault for not specifically saying do this stuff. Just expected a shop like that to do it because I feel like that is work that SHOULD be done in the first place. End of the day I'm really disappointed. I'm more sad because I thought I was 2 weeks out from driving my car again after 6 months. I guess I get to wait longer.

/rant
That sucks to hear man.. At least you have that other local shop with the quick turn around so you hopefully don't have to wait too much longer.

#53 ·
Re: Tyler's '13 SWP STI

Local shop that everyone seems to love is going to build me a motor with Manley Turbo Tuff Pistons and Rods, King or ACL bearings, and a new 08+ STI crank. They said they will work over the case halves and let me know if they need to take it to 99.75mm or if they can leave it at 99.5mm. Either way, they said they can start on it and have it finished for me and once I get my refund from Prime I can just come grab it then. So that's sweet, looks like I'm still about 2 weeks out from a dyno if I can get this shit put back in quick enough.

#56 ·

Just put down the 50% for the new motor. I'm still waiting for the refund from the other engine. It hasn't been delivered yet. Says some delay or whatever in Jersey. Not sure if weather is bad there but it's literally 9 minutes away from where it's supposed to get dropped off at. haha

#57 ·

So someone broke into my backyard, we have a gate that locks from the inside that we shut every night. My Miata was went through, they stole my wallet. All of my roommates cars were either attempted to get into or went through. They got into the garage too, doesn't look like anything is missing. Which is awesome cause there is about 7k worth of new car parts just chilling in there. But, this means getting my motor back will be even longer since I have to wait for all new debt/credit cards. Haha, if it's not one thing, it's another. Looks like they used one of my credit cards at Wal-Mart for 270$ but I called and disputed it/reported the card stolen. So it was wiped clean.

But, Prime's engine arrived on Saturday. They said they are inspecting it today, should get a refund processed today too. Which wont matter cause I don't have a card to use it on. -_-

#59 ·

So someone broke into my backyard, we have a gate that locks from the inside that we shut every night. My Miata was went through, they stole my wallet. All of my roommates cars were either attempted to get into or went through. They got into the garage too, doesn't look like anything is missing. Which is awesome cause there is about 7k worth of new car parts just chilling in there. But, this means getting my motor back will be even longer since I have to wait for all new debt/credit cards. Haha, if it's not one thing, it's another. Looks like they used one of my credit cards at Wal-Mart for 270$ but I called and disputed it/reported the card stolen. So it was wiped clean.

But, Prime's engine arrived on Saturday. They said they are inspecting it today, should get a refund processed today too. Which wont matter cause I don't have a card to use it on. -_-
Damn, that's some bullshit! Hope things turn around for you!!

#61 ·

Yea it's all good. Honestly I have a pretty good self-control over my emotions so I'm really not phased by this. Just kind of put on hold for a little longer. Hopefully everything comes together in 2017, cause at this rate it feels more like a 2018 finisher. haha!

#62 ·

Some sort of magical stuff happened. Credit card company over nighted my card that just so happens to be the card that I can put my refund on. So, that was processed today. Also, there was absolutely zero line at the DMV which is like awkwardly weird, and the lady felt bad about my shit getting stolen she didn't even look at my mail dates. Just saw the address and was like nah it's good. Asked if she needed to see my birth certificate or SSC and she was like nope you don't look suspicious, were good here. She was badass honestly.

Anyways, other block is at the machine shop. So I'm assuming sometime early next week it will be done? Maybe I'll be installing it next weekend... which is christmas! Shit, could be the best Christmas yet. Who knows. ;)

#65 ·

Happy to hear everything back on track. Best Xmas ever indeed :)
Haha, shooting for Christmas is pretty high expectations. It's pretty unlikely. The beginning of the year makes more sense to me. Either way, we are moving forward and I like that.

Nice to hear man! Tell the machine shop to hurry up so you can get this done! I want to see what your car will be making for power soon and get jealous! lol
Haha, I wont be making much more power than you for a little while. I am selling those coilovers I got. The Tein Super Racing. I bought them for a stupid cheap price, and told myself I'd only sell them for certain amount. A person just said they would pay me today, for my asking price. So I have to do it, probably going to pick up a used set of Fortune Auto 500 coilovers cause that was my plan in the first place. But, after I get my bonus, tax return, and maybe sell my Miata, I'll dump some money towards a turbo/intercooler/headers and be ready to go. Hoping for March-ish time for all of that to happen. When it's warmer and not freezing ass cold.

Also got my refund from Prime. They said 3-5 days and it was only 2. So that's pretty neat. Might pick up a new radiator, and need to buy my wideband sensor.

#66 ·

What is everyone's opinion on going FMIC, Blouch 1.5XTR, and Tomei EL headers? Taylor at TopSpeed has a thread on Nasioc of all the cars they are tuning. He said on E85 this setup can get close to and/or touch the 500whp mark. I really need to keep my numbers just below 500whp cause I'm only on a semi-closed deck. So really a 460-470ish on E85 would be nice/ideal.

#67 ·

What is everyone's opinion on going FMIC, Blouch 1.5XTR, and Tomei EL headers? Taylor at TopSpeed has a thread on Nasioc of all the cars they are tuning. He said on E85 this setup can get close to and/or touch the 500whp mark. I really need to keep my numbers just below 500whp cause I'm only on a semi-closed deck. So really a 460-470ish on E85 would be nice/ideal.
It's a very potent combo, and it is DEF easy to hit between 450-500 on E85 with the Dom 1.5. (Provided the Dom is a healthy unit.)

#71 ·

Question for everyone.

I'm wanting to install a 10 micron -6AN pre-injector fuel filter on the STI. I can't find one from Aeromotive that is a -6AN(only -10AN) and Fuelab has a few options but none of them specify to be compatible with methanol. So, what is everyone else running?

#76 ·

First off, I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Mine was good, but it snowed about 14" at my house Christmas night and shoveling it sucked. Haha

Car news, no engine yet. Builder said it was at the machine shop still. He said this week for sure. I won't be able to install it this weekend, I'm working my second job the whole weekend. So, looks like in two weeks I'll be good to go.

#77 ·

Engine is back from the machine shop. Had to wait to order pistons to figure out what size the cylinders were honed in at. Going with a 99.75mm piston. Said he is shooting for this weekend or Monday. But I heard that same thing last week, so, yea whenever it's done. haha