IW STi Forum banner

Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

GR Hatch: 
78K views 408 replies 32 participants last post by  STIGR-Wagon-Dad 
#1 · (Edited)
I've always liked rally inspired vehicles. Back in 94, I've owned a very rare IMSA Champion edition Toyota Celica All Trac turbo 1988. I've always been a Toyota guy. But Toyota hasn't built anything exciting in the past 12 years. I grew up exposed to the Japanese car culture as a high school teenager and as a twenty-something the Cali import scene. Basically I put this car together of what I liked from both scenes.
From 2001-2007, I was stationed in Japan. I was driving down Route 16, taking the long way home to Atsugi from Yokota. I told my wife that I wanted a Subaru Impreza STI, but I wanted it only in Wagon or Hatchback form. I didn't know much about Subaru and have only scene the 2 door and 4 door sedan. A few seconds later, a Bugeye STI Wagon drives past us going in the opposite direction and I said, "I want something exactly like that"!
Fast forward 2008. As soon as I report to my new command, they cut me orders to go support the efforts in Iraq as an Individual Augmentee. I do my time for a year and return to Cali to finish my obligation. I knew the Hatchback had just came out but I wasn't even thinking about getting a car. More like getting re-accustomed to living back in America. My wife says ,"let's go get your car you wanted". I looked at her surprised and excited and said, " I love you". I bought a fairly new used 2008 STI in March 2009.
I've had the car for a while but it spent most of it's time in storage as I did move out to Guam for 3 years. I started this journal a little late, but I thought it's about time I start one. I'll just go with what the car has on now and what will be done. I'm not looking for big power, I'm about enjoying a well balanced machine.

**Future upgrades**
Stoptech brake lines
Whiteline toe arms
Prova rear spoiler or L'aunsport 09 WRC wing
L'aunsport side mirrors
ARC Cool fins

Exterior:
Trust Gracer front lip
Rally-Tech mudflaps
AVO rear underspoiler
JDM Subaru under panels
Password JDM Gurney flap
Enkei RC-T4 18X9.5 White
Bridgestone S04 Potenza Pole Position 255/40
Prova side mirror convex overlays.
Beatrush undertray

Interior:
Recaro Pole Position
Recaro Proride child seat
Clarion Audio
Killerbmotorsport 6 speed shift knob
HKS Turbo timer Type 0
SMY Performance gauge pod w/Synapse Engineering boost gauge and oil pressure gauge
Beltronics STi Driver

Engine:
Tomei ARMS M8265
New OEM short block built by Infamous Performance
CP 9.0:1 forged pistons w/Manley H beam rods
Killerbmotorsport windage tray
Killerbmotorsport oil pick up tube
Motul 5W40
HKS panel filter
Syms Racing Air induction box
Stock airbox
Tomei turbo inlet hose w/Venair maf hose
STI TMIC w/Zerosports splitter & Samco hose kit
Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
Killer B 2 bolt Holy header w/Perrin Performance Big Tube uppipe+Perrin Performance up pipe blanket
HKS Legamax 75mm turbo back exhaust/Thermal Zero DP jacket
Thermal Zero turbo blanket
CB titanium heat shield
BP/BL JDM engine covers
Zerosports radiator panel
AEM 320lph fuel pump
NGK LFR7AIX spark plugs
Koyo hyper v radiator w/Mishimoto pnp fans
Synapse Engineering 1150cc injectors
Delicious Tuning flex fuel kit for Cobb
Prova AOS
Company23 anti-surge boost controller
Heat insulation by Heatshield Products/DEI/Perrin Performance
Fluidampr crank pulley
Tune by Delicious Tuning
E85
STI Group N engine mounts

Suspension/brakes/chassis:
HKS Hipermax I I I street coilovers
Rallitek 22mm f and 19mm r antisway bars w/Rallitek endlinks
Tanabe racing Strut bar
Cusco steering bracket
Cusco crossmember brace
Cusco rear member brace
GTspec rear brace
Whiteline rear antisway bar brace
AVO caster bushings
AVO steering rack bushings
Whiteline rear diff bushings
Kartboy rear subframe bushings
Tanabe underbrace
Superpro roll center kit
HKS Kansai Service rear tower bar
Adam's Rotors cross drilled w/Stoptech street performance brake pads
Buddy club rear lower control arms

Transmission:
Stock STI 6 speed
Southbend Stage 2 daily driver clutch
PST carbon fiber driveshaft
Amsoil severe gear 75w90
Prothane shifter bushing kit
STI Group N transmission mount
AVO Turbo transmission bushings

91 octane tune 237whp/275wtq
E85 tune 301whp/348wtq with VF48
With M8265 ???
Calibration performed by Bill Knose of Delicious Tuning at Infamous Performance Mustang dyno.

Added some heat reflective cloth
April 10, 2014

Added more heat reflective stuff on the MAF hose and more padding in the bottom and lumbar area
April 24, 2014

Installed DW65C Deatschwerks fuel pump and new assembly.
April 29, 2014

Installed JDM transmission under panel, removed Tanabe underbrace, and installed Cusco type1 underbrace.
April 30,2014

Installed Moddiction blue convex side view mirror overlays.
May 3, 2014

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice setup, came from Toyotas myself. Used to have a ST162 followed by a MA70, was actually hunting for a clean ST165 or MA71 when the hatch came out. Bought mine in 2009 bone stock and have been slowly working on it ever since (sea duty and deployments do have a way of taking up time). Had a Recaro Perfomance Sport booster seat for my daughter myself. Looks like you're off to running start, look forward to following your build!

#3 ·
Cool! I'm looking for another AE86. Perhaps an AW11, MA60, ST165 or 185. Where do you go for your Subaru stuff and services? The place I used to to go to no longer exists in San Diego. If you go old school Toyota or any vintage import, check out my friends shop Elee Motorsport. Eugene knows his Toyotas. I want to drive another Toyota. My Subaru may be faster, but the older Toyotas had much better feed back and road feel.

#4 ·
I take my car to Frank Subaru for regular services, customer service is great, prices are good and their tuner friendly. I'll have to check out your buddies shop, my first car was a Copper TE70 I had set up on Cressida steelies. Been looking for a clean(ish) one for a project car but no luck so far. Always been a fan of the MA60, knew a few guys that swapped in the 7M-GTE and were putting down some good numbers. You hit the track or Qualcomm with the GR yet?

#10 ·
So I decided to go ahead and install the transmission underpanel and my Cusco type 1 underbrace to supplement my Tanabe Racing underbrace. The tanabe bar had to be removed in order to install the transmission panel. Unfortunately, the tanabe bar couldn't be installed with the panel. Luckily, I had the cusco bars. It complemented my quest to flat-bottom the undercarriage as the bars mounted front to back opposed to side to side like the tanabe.

#13 · (Edited)
Replaced the original spark plugs yesterday. I was losing power and idle was a little rough. The number 3 cylinder had some carbon build up which covered a lot of the center electrode and had some of the ceramic chipped off. Oops! It now idles smoothly and it revs up nicely. I have 56k miles on the ticker. The new spark plugs are the NGK LFR7AIX which is 1 heat range colder. I guess for my application at Cobb stage 2, I needed to go 1 colder.

#16 ·
I finally installed the Perrin Performance thermal blanket for the dp I had sitting around for over a year and a half. It took a while for the temps to climb up just from idling to a steady 130F according to the OBDLink app. The intercooler was warm to the touch and it's 90F outside right now. The Redline 10w30 made my car idle alot smoother after idling for 5 min. I had been running Mobil 1 5w40 TDT prior. MPG has slightly improve as well as power and engine response.

#18 ·
I just replaced my brakes with Adam's Rotors cross drill pattern with Stoptech street performance pads. The rear brake pads wore way sooner than the fronts, which is odd. I also proceeded to replace my Turboxs GT series catback with a Corsa after the wife complained it was loud.

#19 ·
I also proceeded to replace my Turboxs GT series catback with a Corsa after the wife complained it was loud.
I heard a stage 2 Outback on the dyno yesterday with the Corsa. It sounded great! Louder than I expected but I love rock and roll and that Outback was a rockin'.

#23 ·
More on the exhaust. The exhaust does not reverberate in the neighborhood. WOT is loud but not annoyingly loud. Definitely no drone through any rpm or throttle inputs. It seems like the engine likes this exhaust over the last as it has better throttle/engine/turbo response. It has a hollow sound to it. It sounds like the rasp has a bit of reverberation and it does not sound like a weedwacker. It does not sound like your traditional subaru with EL manifold. Very unique.

#24 ·
I put the car on the lift to adjust the e brake after the rotor and pad install. I also finally installed the Thermotec velocity exhaust jackets I had ordered a few months ago. It brought down the under hood temps and the turbo spools slightly quicker to the effect that I was hitting the rev limiter sooner than what I was used to.

#25 ·
I replace the pcv, perrin turbo inlet+maf hose, and grimmspeed aos. I started to have oil in the intercooler and didn't see a reason to have remain installed. The Samco turbo inlet replaces the Perrin stuff. It started to rip from the bottom due to chaffing. The Samco had a port to plug in the cranks pcv. I wanted to plug the pcv electrical plug back on but the hose was too thick, so it remained off. It was hard to install the venair maf hose to the turbo inlet.

#26 · (Edited)
I finally got off my lazy butt and installed these rear lower Cusco Power Brace I got from Rallysportdirect.com months ago. Noticeable difference in steering feel and response. I guess it alleviated some of the chassis flex in the rear.

It was easy to install. It requires cutting the plastic fuel tank protectors. A Dremel tool is needed to speed up the process. Shears would have torn up the plastic.

#27 ·
I took my car to the base auto hobby shop to try to get my caster bushings more evenly set and to get the transmission bushings and mount swapped out. What I really need to do is get an alignment done. Anyways, I swapped out the stock transmission mount with the STI Group N and AVO Turbo polyurethane transmission mount cushions. Upon removing the transmission mount, I had discovered that my mount is actually broken on both sides. I was wondering why I have been miss shifting, even with the pitch stopper installed, because it wasn't doing this before. NVH slightly increased but not to the point that it's annoying. I didn't get the gear whine everyone was reporting after they did the swap. I took it to the freeway and shifts are cleaner and solid. The car has over 60k on the odometer and I'm slowly getting some maintenance done. Next will be swapping out the stock radiator and hoses with a Koyo and Samco hoses. I'll get to installing the Mishimoto oil cooler kit with thermostat, too.

#28 ·
I'm starting to enjoy more of the car after replacing the mount and bushings. It was like driving it for the first time. But this time, the shifter is doing what it's supposed to, get in gear! I might have to look into a 2015 STI steering rack swap. Twisty roads are much more fun to drive now with a lower chance of mis-shifting.

#29 ·
After trying several combinations of seat mounts, I found a combination that fits well for my height. I removed the Wedge bracket and replaced it with a newer version of Sparco bracket. It has better mounting slots to mount bigger/wider seats. Also, to make up for my height, I got a set of OMP tall side mounts. I now have a much better field of vision. Thanks to Jeff at Planted technology for helping me choose a combo that would work with me, even though my new set up didn't have any Planted stuff. I unfortunately had to removed the Planted side mounts I had, which were too low for me. Excellent customer support!

I put together my radiator upgrade. Before install, I went ahead and got the Mishimoto pnp fan shroud. It will have samco hoses and the whole assembly is ready to drop in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.