IW STi Forum banner

14 STi - Grimace 2.0!

GR Hatch: 
48K views 281 replies 29 participants last post by  mac_sti 
#1 · (Edited)
I love Grimace.
This is my first Subaru and I'm throughly enjoying it. I had a MINI Cooper S before and needed more room and power. I had my sights on a STI or Evo and my wife said no Evo. She knows about cars, but that response was due to her thinking the Evo is "ugly". :lol:

I'm an elevator mechanic/technician for 2100+ hours a year and the rest of the time I'm learning about cars. I like long drives on PCH, running into Jay Leno on Easter and taming The Dragon.
I can build a new elevator from the ground up with a top speed of 16 mph.

Videos:

COBB turbo-back with stock headers

Holy header

Launch

Quick ride with EWG

Additional brake light

Latest update:

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
Re: 14 STi "Grimace"

Update:
1. I got the dent fixed. The tech said that it was almost too deep to repair. I'll get a picture of it later.

2. Tech at the dealership said that the rattle is common with our cars. It's the foam around the downpipe shrinking and causing the guards to rattle a bit. Might go away... might get worse. Time will tell.

3. Ordered some goodies. Hopefully I get what I want. Details later.

#31 · (Edited)

Ok. Here we go.

I acquired a new head unit.

The picture on the box looked OK but I liked what was inside...

Got it off eBay. Paid a pretty penny but it's beautiful.

Quick and easy install. Maybe took 20 minutes to swap them out.

Sound quality is improved and the features/views are a huge bonus. Eventually I need to yank out the satellite radio.

#32 ·

Looking to personalize my car... just like everyone else. I was very pleased with the modification of my taillights and after talking with Brian (Nexson) we came up with a plan.

I sent him my Hella face plates and some new emblems to be painted. Picked a nice color to accent my car.

Bumper off

Horns are a huge upgrade visually and performance. Big fan of the horn and how it wakes people up in traffic.

The emblems came out amazing.

Rear emblem looks great. Sets off the backend nicely.

Everything said and done.. The car is looking good. :cool:

#38 ·

Yesterday and today putting in some engine parts I received.

Pitch stop

Alternator shroud

And the biggest PITA. If my wife was good with her hands under the hood, I would have asked her to do it....

Master cylinder brace

The brace was definitely wasn't designed for 12+ STi. Still need to clean up the fuel lines and get rid of the FRs.

#39 ·

Short hiatus from the car because of work and the little one.

Ordered and received an Access Port and COBB down pipe. Installed the AP last week and what a huge difference. Installed the down pipe last night which everything said and done I'm not a fan of taking off the intercooler because it's still a pain to put back on but having the COBB heat shield instead of the stock one made it manageable.

Drove around a little bit playing with stage 2 last night. I barely drive it nowadays but I'm looking to finish the exhaust side with headers and up pipe before I get a pro tune. When I get a chance I'm going to run over to Titan motorsports to chat and talk about future plans.

#40 ·

Picking up some new noises from the engine area. One is very high pitched... my guess is either alternator cover or heat heat shield. The second sounds like the exhaust is leaking but not loud sound leaking but almost like blowoff sounds. Could be the pressure being relieved.

#41 ·

Confirmed noise coming from the front of the car is the heat shield on the headers. I've been under the car three times trying to tighten it up and still get it ~3500rpms.

I ordered Killer B Holy Header middle of last month. They said that they are backed up and I'm on the November deliveries. I opted for the Swain Tech coating and the EWG option. I'll blank it off now but want it as an option down the road.

Other than that.... car washes and baby spit up. Changed my oil today. I switched to T6 and Subaru black filter. Feels a little different. Can mostly tell a difference just revving the engine. The guy that sold me the filter said I should look into the rx8 filter.

#42 ·

Quick update:

Decided I would go for the waste gate when the header got here.
Purchased a Tial 38mm wastegate, Grimmspeed ebcs and IWG bracket. They are sitting in my garage, waiting to be installed one day.

Still waiting on the header.

Contacted my local tuner to confirm if I had everything I need for the setup. Also asked if I should go a step colder on the plugs. Since they deal with mostly Supras, GTRs and BMWs, I'm sure I'm on the low priority list.

#50 ·

I'm noticing the stumble more now with the intake. I notice it more when cruising on the highway. I'm currently running a OTS map and counting down the days for a pro tune when my headers come in... (Jan. 10th/12th-ish) Once the headers come in, I'll be able to get the rest of the parts in my garage off the shelf.

I grabbed a stumble fix from funks a while back. It's a replica of the GD setup. I'm hoping with that setup and a good tune to eliminate the problem. I've read that it's the lines or the rails and I'm starting with the lines.

#51 ·

A woman driver cut me off as I was entering my favorite Greek shop and caused me to protect myself (aka drive into a giant pothole).
Please excuse the cell phone pictures and more than that excuse the absolutely filthy car. It's been a busy week since the road trip.

Here is the damage with my fix:

I cut part of a face shield down and used aluminum pop-rivets.

#52 ·

Changed the oil yesterday. Everything looked good. Didn't see any consumption. The mag-plug showed nothing. :tup:

Ordered some parts today. Basically ordered stuff to use up the gift cards I've received. Should be here Monday. Pictures to follow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.