IW STi Forum banner

LED trunk light install

19K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  brunosmith 
#1 · (Edited)
I got this idea from asukadc and ordered the exact parts he did from zestjdm.

Gotta give credit where it is due.

Original thread:http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-interior/215140-trunk-led-light-solution-gr-hatch-diy.html

Ordered the wiring harness, 3 led strips, 2 strip connectors, and the 12 LED plate to replace the stock light.

Note: i removed the cargo net hook because I was going to attempt to pull the lower section away too. You can just thread the wire through the hole for the light and grab it.

Stock trunk light is horrible and doesn't light the trunk at all.
Remove the two screws, at the location for the cargo cover, holding the panel

Here are the components of the LED trunk lighting from Zestjdm

Pop the stock trunk light out using a flathead screwdriver. Pry from the right side of the light. Also pull the panel away starting at the left near the second screw, there are hole clips, so just pull till they release.

Pull out the stock bulb and insert the end of the wiring harness that replaces the bulb. If you do not buy the replacement LED panel, there will not be anything spliced into the wires

If you look behind the panel, you can feed the end of the wire to your hand and take it to were you want to run the lights. I ran it up to were asukadc did.

Center the lights, pull the cover off the tap, and apply. I centered the middle strip around the centered headliner clip and fastened to the plastic. Asukadc applied on the headliner.

Clean up the excess wire. I used the twist tie that hold the wiring harness originally.

Push the wire through the hole and reinstall the light

Reinstall the screw fastening the panel and you're done! Finished the install extremely fast, 15 minutes max. Here are some pics in the dark.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-members-journals/203902-stiezys-2008-sti-rota-dpts-led-trunk-lights-installed.html

See less See more
#5 ·
15 minutes? That's nuts. I like it.

#11 ·
looks real great, if you dont mind...may I post up your DIY thread link on the webiste?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.