IW STi Forum banner

remove stock pedals

14K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Diamond-Star-Halo 
#1 ·
Anybody have a good writeup on how remove the stock sti pedals? Thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks Boo but this is not really about looks. It is about getting the pedals set up to match my foot size and shoes for consistent heel-toe downshifting. I just picked up these pedals (see link). Note that the accelerator pedal has a lip on the left side. This helps to blip the throttle with the right side of the shoe while braking during downshifting.

I think that I have the pedal removal and replacement figured out and will write up some instructions soon.

Billet Aluminum Pedal Set - Steering Wheels and Pedals

#6 ·
OK, I finally got some time to work on this over the weekend and I have them installed.

1. Yes, the new pedals are covers ... but so are the stocks. Note that the stockers are rubber covers. You can reach around the back of the pedal and pull them up and over to remove them. When you remove them you are left with just smooth steel pedals. I didn't want to put one set of covers over another set of covers so I removed the stock covers.

2. Once the stock covers were off, I put masking tape around the steel plate pedals and marked them for drilling. I put a mirror on the floor so that you can see that the throttle pedal is also a cover that is held on with little tabs in the back. You can remove the metal cover by bending back the tabs or just install over the metal cover. I chose to remove mine. The pedal itself is actually hard plastic.

3. Here is a shot with the pedals installed.

There is a big big difference in terms of being able to consistently get perfect heel-toe downshifts. The throttle pedal has a lip on the left side that makes it much easier to blip it during downshift. I am now able to use my narrow driving shoes and get perfect shifts which used to be hit-and-miss with the stock pedals for me.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.