IW STi Forum banner

08'/09' STi "seat mod" write up w/pics...for your bolstering needs

125K views 181 replies 87 participants last post by  xabre1200 
#1 · (Edited)
I came across a post where "GChislett" mentioned a "seat-mod" for the 08's to get more bolster out of them. Nowhere else other then his single post mentioning it have I heard anything about this.

Everyone who has sat in my seats loves them..Even people driving older STi's with the better seats say my 08' seats hold them in better now.

So I figured ide make a quick and dirty write up for anyone who is interested. The mod is 100% reversable if you do not wish to keep it like this, Plus it only takes a minute to do this mod. Also it can be done on the passenger seat as well.

Step 1) Find the large zipper closest to the door. The Bottom of the zipper has about 3 inches of slack that is tucked in the seat, and is kinda tough to get. I used needle nose pliers and tugged on it pretty hard til it came out. (this was the hardest part of the mod)

Step 2) Un-zip the zipper all the way, and open it up, You will see there is some weird plastic covering everything, I have no clue what the plastic does, but it ripped mine outa the way, and its been fine since...There is 3 hooks, connected to springs that are hooked to lil plastic piece, All you have to do is unhook each of them them off the white plastic pieces. You only need to do 1 side to make this mod work

Once that is done, just let them hang there, Might be a goooood idea to put some tape around the end of the hook so it doesnt poke through the back of your seat there will be no noise or issues if you leave them like that (this is what im doing)

Un-hook these hooks off the plastic (there is 3 of them)

Step 3) Zip back the rear of the seat, tuck in the extra slack of zipper, and enjoy your seats as your being held tighter in corners now!

Ive had this mod done for the past 6k miles, and the seats have been perfect, with no stretching or anything..Im not a small, lightweight guy either...

Great mod IMO, makes the seats super comfy, and grips you much better in corners....Oh and its completely reversable!

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: 08'/09' STi "seat mod" for your bolstering needs

Ok heres the pics of the seats you requested...Its about to rain so the lighting + not that great of a camera doesnt help quality...I tried to get a top angle view to show the backs and if they bolster visually, compared to your non modded seat..

Hope this helps...my cars has dirt and tire marks all over from my downhill mtn bike i stuffed in the hatch :)

#10 ·
could be something to look into if you have lots of free time on ur hands, Im just scared it may effect something under the seat

sounds like something i'll try very soon~

just afraid it might do something to inadvertently effect the air bags in the seats? :confused:
The back of the seat wont affect anything, and its reversable if u dont like it, only thing that might effect is whatever is under the seats if you try to rig that... possible airbag sensor like the older years ect ect

#11 ·
FWIW I tried this today to see if there would be a noticible difference and indeed there is. I asked my gf to proform a blind test with one seat removed and the other intact and she successfully selected the modified seat as more supportive! :)

Only thing I did different was remove the entire support peice rather than just unhook it.

#12 ·
the alternate on this mod is to forcibly bend the wire supports towards the rear of the car, thereby making a 'deeper' cavity for your torso when you sit. I did this on Day One of ownership....perhaps halfway to the extent of the version listed here but with no downsides.

#14 ·
the alternate on this mod is to forcibly bend the wire supports towards the rear of the car, thereby making a 'deeper' cavity for your torso when you sit. I did this on Day One of ownership....perhaps halfway to the extent of the version listed here but with no downsides.
that seems like a really good idea, maybe stretch the springs enough so you can still sink in but the back of the seat isnt supporting all your weight..

i'll take a look at it after i install my springs today

#22 ·
what did that really do just by unhooking those hooks? :confused:

#27 ·
It doesn't seem to be putting much stress on the seams for me(5'11 155pounds). It's without a doubt alot better. I took the whole metal thing out the back. I'll probably do something to the hooks to extend them and put it back in. Tempting to do it to the pass. seat too since everyone kinda slides around when I drive lol.

#28 · (Edited)
I took a look at this link for a different STi seat:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/69952-jdm-v9-seats-side-air-bags-installed.html
and would be worried about removing the the whole spring support - scroll down to see the whole rear seat cover is removed - there doesn't seem to be any other support in the middle. It appears you would be relying on the tension of the seat cover and foam between the two verticals. I wonder if the 08/09 seat bolsters are constructed in a similar fashion (seems to be) and if so, then it may be a matter of bending the bolster supporting rods inwards, leaving the back spring support. Just a thought, not about to pull apart the seats yet.

#31 ·
worked for me... i usually have my work bag behind my seat, and when it hits the back of my seat as i brake, the bag hits my back (through the seat) much stronger than before... clearly because the metal mesh would have absorbed some of that impact.

otherwise, the seats feel much better, but my left knee is still planted by the door... any fixes for the lower portion?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.