replace 2011 base stereo with another pioneer??? - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > GR Series STi Discussion (2008+) > GR-General > GR-ICE/Security > replace 2011 base stereo with another pioneer???
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 09-20-10, 03:05 PM   #21
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 08 DGM/BBS
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

fishingfiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: replace 2011 base stereo with another pioneer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
I might just think of a way to mount an iPad. Because the stock stereo is good this year. And the Bluetooth audio works great. So the only thing I would like is video playback. And the iPad will do that for less money than a new stereo.
Because we have a standard double DIN headunit opening, why not get a headunit upgrade and add iPod/iPhone connectivity along with proper bluetooth A2DP support. Streaming Pandora to my kenwood and being able to skip tracks from the steering wheel is awesome. An iPad is an interesting idea, but the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Tablet might make more sense with the 7" display.

fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 03:47 PM   #22
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2011 5dr STI PBP
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

crunchiespg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
Because we have a standard double DIN headunit opening, why not get a headunit upgrade and add iPod/iPhone connectivity along with proper bluetooth A2DP support. Streaming Pandora to my kenwood and being able to skip tracks from the steering wheel is awesome. An iPad is an interesting idea, but the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Tablet might make more sense with the 7" display.
the stock unit does have a2dp and can skip tracks from the wheel using my iphone or ipad..

like i said, the only thing its missing is the video.. which the ipad will solve..
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 04:06 PM   #23

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Including Pandora and other streaming apps? If so, props to Subaru for finally adding some modern features.

How do you plan on integrating the ipad or will it be a stand along media player?
Old 09-20-10, 04:13 PM   #24

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Including Pandora and other streaming apps? If so, props to Subaru for finally adding some modern features.

How do you plan on integrating the ipad or will it be a stand along media player?
not pandora, but tunin radio and a few others (which logs onto internet radio streams from all over the world) and if one works, they all will as its all the same bluetooth..

i will probably use the ipad for videos using the usb in the centre console.. that way it will charge the ipad, and will mean the bluetooth is free for my iphone so if i get phone calls i can use the hands free..

and to mount it ill probably use one of these..

its easy to remove or put in, so ill only use it when we are going on ski trips and stuff so the passengers can watch films..
Old 09-20-10, 04:28 PM   #25

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Not being able to play the iPad audio through the existing audio system was and continues to be a deal breaker IMO. This is why I went the headunit route and kept my ipad in my living room. I have a full on AV system in my STI and integration was one of my goals. The 7" display off my 8120 gets the job done.

My iPad charges like crap through USB due to the 10watt power supply needed. I still believe you'll need a third party adapter to properly charge on the road...

Good luck with your project!
Old 09-20-10, 04:32 PM   #26

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Not being able to play the iPad audio through the existing audio system was and continues to be a deal breaker IMO. This is why I went the headunit route and kept my ipad in my living room. I have a full on AV system in my STI and integration was one of my goals. The 7" display off my 8120 gets the job done.

My iPad charges like crap through USB due to the 10watt power supply needed. I still believe you'll need a third party adapter to properly charge on the road...

Good luck with your project!
the ipad plays perfectly through the stock system.. bluetooth, usb and aux all work fine for audio on the ipad and my iphone, songs and movies..

i dont know about the charging though usb, i only tried it for a short time, but worse case scenario i just use the same charger i have in the 12v power for my iphone. a griffin powerjolt SE, if the ipad gets low on power.. or use the aux 3.5mm and power the ipad from the charger, and have my phone using the bluetooth..

id prefer not to use the ipad thorugh bluetooth as the stereo can only pair with one device, and i would have to re programme it for my phone each time..
Old 09-20-10, 10:52 PM   #27
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: 1996 SVX L AWD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SVXdc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
and when i say base [HU model], i guess the canadian base model is the same as the usa premium.. in that it does have the bluetooth steering wheel controls..
In that case, you mean this one, right?
Also see my thread on NASIOC (pics I got from cars101.com)
2011 Impreza Pictures, new Bluetooth HU
As with recent years, the HU's face is 1" wider than standard double DIN size (8" instead of 7").

Nobody has posted pictures of the back yet, but I do know for certain that it uses Subaru's 20-pin radio harness (that Imprezas have had since 2008).

I built an adapter harness to retain the aux input (and possibly also the factory mic), and sent that along with an ASWC and a 20-pin install harness to an owner in the US. He already installed a new Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD.

He measured the new SWC resistors for me, and I passed that info along to Metra (with the wiring diagrams), so they could update the ASWC if necessary to work with these cars. Turned out the 2011's SWCs are similar to some Toyotas, so the ASWC's current firmware was already compatible.

Hopefully he'll be able to add the ASWC and aux adapter and investigate the factory mic in the next week.

I'll bet Canadian cars with the AVIC-U310BT still have the same Subaru plug, but add a Subaru-to-Pioneer adapter.

I'd really like to see how the SWC wires are connected in those Canadian models. There's a tiny chance they may actually go straight into the U310BT without an adapter. Find someone up there who can give you some pics

Last edited by SVXdc; 09-20-10 at 10:57 PM.
SVXdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 07:04 AM   #28

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
In that case, you mean this one, right?
Also see my thread on NASIOC (pics I got from cars101.com)
2011 Impreza Pictures, new Bluetooth HU
As with recent years, the HU's face is 1" wider than standard double DIN size (8" instead of 7").

Nobody has posted pictures of the back yet, but I do know for certain that it uses Subaru's 20-pin radio harness (that Imprezas have had since 2008).

I built an adapter harness to retain the aux input (and possibly also the factory mic), and sent that along with an ASWC and a 20-pin install harness to an owner in the US. He already installed a new Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD.

He measured the new SWC resistors for me, and I passed that info along to Metra (with the wiring diagrams), so they could update the ASWC if necessary to work with these cars. Turned out the 2011's SWCs are similar to some Toyotas, so the ASWC's current firmware was already compatible.

Hopefully he'll be able to add the ASWC and aux adapter and investigate the factory mic in the next week.

I'll bet Canadian cars with the AVIC-U310BT still have the same Subaru plug, but add a Subaru-to-Pioneer adapter.

I'd really like to see how the SWC wires are connected in those Canadian models. There's a tiny chance they may actually go straight into the U310BT without an adapter. Find someone up there who can give you some pics
yes, that is my head unit.. if i can retain all the stock connections and the factory mic then i would consider changing the head unit. if i cant then i wont change it..

here is a post with the back of the pioneer as fitted to canadian sport tech models shown..

2011 STI sport tech - Pioneer in dash nav ?

ill take some pics of the back of mine asap.

Last edited by crunchiespg; 09-21-10 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 11:19 AM   #29
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: 1996 SVX L AWD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SVXdc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link to that thread.

OK, scratch what I said about the AVIC connecting directly to the car's SWC wires. The blue box looks suspiciously like a PAC SWI-PS interface module (with the wires directly attached instead of via their normal multi-pin connector).

From what I can tell from waramp's pictures, the likelihood that the OEM mic can be connected straight into an aftermarket HU just went up significantly. We just need some better quality pics of the adapter cables in that Canadian model.

However, don't get your hopes up too high about being able to buy those adapter cables from Subaru parts.
SVXdc is offline   Reply With Quote