Radium Surge Tank Install / Fuel System - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Radium Surge Tank Install / Fuel System
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Radium Surge Tank Install / Fuel System
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 01-04-16, 12:34 PM   #1
theblacksti
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Built Longblock & E85
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

theblacksti is a jewel in the roughtheblacksti is a jewel in the roughtheblacksti is a jewel in the roughtheblacksti is a jewel in the rough
Default Radium Surge Tank Install / Fuel System

So here is my write up on my radium surge tank install. If you havent been following my thread i have 13 STI fully built with a 6262 (Sean's '13 STI Sedan Build - IAG Closed Deck/ETS Rotated).
Recently had IAG make me a CD block with all the fixings and doing alot of other mods as well. Fueling being big part of upgrade. Ive already had FIC2150s and a DW300c. Ran out of pump on E85. But as CD can take more boost 40psi will need some fuel
My setup will have 1 450 running all times and the other to come on at 15psi. Using a DW300c as a lift pump.

Anyways here we go.

Radium Multipump w/ 2 Walbro 450s

(SKIP THIS IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING AFTER MARKET FUEL LINES TO RAILS)
Started by disconnecting the factory hardlines and removing them. There is a feed and return. do not remove the EVAP line. it is a pain to get them out. i ended up cutting as i do not plan to put them back.
I removed driver seat as this helps a ton and pulled back carpet.

Next i will be running the lines through car.
Im using Fragola PTFE line. Highly highly, i repeat HIGHLY recommended to use PTFE line unless you want your car smelling like a gas station
Using a -8 feed and -6 return.
There is a grommet that the factory hardlines came through that i reemed out a little and cut. (power cable is for battery relocation im doing so i ran cable at same time)

Put carpet back and made sure kickplate/trim looked good.

Next i connected to the lines to my fuel block and FPR.
Now if you haven't done PTFE line before i will show you how as it uses different fittings and requires some basic knowledge.
Start by cutting your line. I use a cutoff tool and that works fine for me. Wrap in masking tape to keep fraying down to minimum.

Next slide the end of fitting onto hose and remove tape.

You will need to spread the SS sheathing out now

with the PTFE line there is a little tappered metal collar to install, tapered (skinny) side into sheathing.

Now install the AN fitting side.

then finally tighten

your done!

So back to where i was at, connecting lines to block and FPR. I'm using a Perrin FPR which incorporates a fuel block at bottom.
so my -8 feed goes into bottom and i will have a -6 feed to each rail. then a -6 return from each rail to the FPR section. There is a inlet from each rail. Then -6 return to surge tank.

Now we mount our surge tank. This is all based on preference!
I chose this area as i have my battery going on other side. I have my air setup against back seat. So this was the best place to balance weight. And i also want to have trunk space still. i used 6 self tapping screws. 2 1/2" long. i shake this surge tank and my car moves... lol

Now connections from intank pump to surge tank.
In my case as i said in beginning i'm running a DW300c. You can use the stock pump as there is no stress on pump. Radium claims there is only about 5psi in surge tank so any pump will do fine. In my case a 340lph as a lift pump may be over kill but when the 2 450s want fuel i rather is be supplied. I'm going to use the factory FCM to control lift pump.
So lets get started!
Take out those plastic lines going from hanger to driver side. there is a clip in the middle that i broke, you can try to take your time lol.
Run lines from surge tank into tank area. i used the factory location.

then used the factory foam piece and cut slits to fit on new lines.

cut you line from your surge tank at correct length. Use 90* fittings.

Use Russells EFI 3/8th push on connectors or similar. Size is 3/8th though.

now with a radium surge tank there is 3 fittings ontop. Feed, overflow, and return. It does not matter where they go and that means it doesnt matter what you connect to on fuel hanger. Pump will fill tank and overflow to main tank.

then once you have all that close her up.

Heres a look at the 2 -6 inlets from pumps to a -8 feed to rails.

then i pulled tank back out and laid carpet for a finished look. put tank back. cut trim so lines come through that. used 90* fittings on the connection to tank. Also have russells check valves in place.

NOW FOR THE WIRING
So i wired the 1st relay to the fuel pump fuse. same circuit my air system is on. comes on with ignition and stays on during cranking.
Right now it just has a fuse tap. I am going to change it to a add a fuse and put a 5a fuse in there.

that wire runs back to the switch input of relay.

Now on the other side of trunk is my battery. i have 4g wire running to a distribution block. each pump power has a 30a fuse.

A 10g wire (power/ground) runs from distro to power input of relay.

I have these all tapped up so i don't have a picture of them going into relay but heres the relays hidden behind carpet.

Then on the other side of relay is power to pump. This is connected to the radium harness (red wire). Then the ground wire is connected to the relay ground and pump ground (black). Now pump 1 is connected. Turn on ignition and pump runs.

Now for pump 2.
Ran wire from distro block with another 30a fuse and 10g again.
Connected power to relay power in. Now my TurboSmart Eboost has a AUX output that is ground activated wire, a Hobbs Switch can do same thing.

The ground side of relay is connected to this wire coming from the controller or your hobbs switch.
The switch input of the relay gets connected to power from battery.
Connect acc side of relay to the Radium harness (orange wire).
Then connected ground from distro block to pump ground on radium harness.(grey wire).
Now your pump 2 connection is ready for boost actuated control.

Now i cut a slit in carpet and ran radium harness through and plugged in.

Time for testing.
I set mine at 18psi on my controller. turn on ignition and 1st pump runs. Used air compressor and stuck into line going to boost controller and 2nd pump kicks on over 18psi and off when drops below.

Little sketch of wiring

Last edited by theblacksti; 01-20-16 at 09:01 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 01-07-16, 07:37 AM   #2
BJJMark95
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Turn in Concepts & E85
My Subaru Parts for sale

BJJMark95 will become famous soon enoughBJJMark95 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Radium Surge Tank Install / Fuel System

Holy craps! This just made my day! Nicely done sir! I am going to bookmark this for me to use when I do my fueling. I am planing on tackling mine myself and itll be my first time messing with fuel so I am really excited to use this to help me. I plan on doing something very similar but I have still been torn on whether or not I want to do a 2 pump surge tank OR the in tank hanger... then I also have to decide if I wanna run my fuel inside the car or under it. I ran my nitrous spray bar line under the car to the back and it wasn't too bad. Love the work!

One question though - how are you incorrperating the hobb switch for your second pump at 15 psi? Are you connecting it to a solenoid between the second pumps line and the Y fitting joint or what? Also are you running an in line filter?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-07-16, 07:48 AM   #3
theblacksti

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

theblacksti is a jewel in the roughtheblacksti is a jewel in the roughtheblacksti is a jewel in the roughtheblacksti is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJMark95 View Post
Holy craps! This just made my day! Nicely done sir! I am going to bookmark this for me to use when I do my fueling. I am planing on tackling mine myself and itll be my first time messing with fuel so I am really excited to use this to help me. I plan on doing something very similar but I have still been torn on whether or not I want to do a 2 pump surge tank OR the in tank hanger... then I also have to decide if I wanna run my fuel inside the car or under it. I ran my nitrous spray bar line under the car to the back and it wasn't too bad. Love the work!

One question though - how are you incorrperating the hobb switch for your second pump at 15 psi? Are you connecting it to a solenoid between the second pumps line and the Y fitting joint or what? Also are you running an in line filter?

Ya I figured ppl needed a good write up. Lotta ppl don't show setups for big fuel systems.

I went with surge tank for a couple reasons.

1: for what ever reason I decided to sell car I could take this and use in another car (any car, even big LS's, as the hanger supports 3 pumps)

2: Also heard negative things on the hanger getting vapor lock issues being in the tank. JR even told me draw away from hanger.

3: Surge tank is more "look at me" and being that I do shows also I wanted a little eye candy.

As for my hobb switch... I'm using a TurboSmart boost controller. Uses bottom and top port of EWG, faster spool and no flutter. It has a AUX output for controlling nitrous, meth, ext. via boost level or RPM.
I'm going to run that signal to my relay and me and tuner can adjust when that pump comes on. 15psi just sounds like a good number so it comes on early and all the fuel is ready to go. I'm going to put a LED on dash (next to fuel pressure gauge) that will come on when 2nd pump is on. That lead will be connected to wire going into surge tank so I know if the relay failed.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-16, 04:34 PM   #4
BJJMark95
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Turn in Concepts & E85
My Subaru Parts for sale

BJJMark95 will become famous soon enoughBJJMark95 will become famous soon enough

Another question on this as I start to plan mine out - I had planned to do something damn near identical to yours so this really helps. When you wire in the surge tank could you post up exactly how you do it? I have a good idea how I just want a sanity check. Also I take it you run your two pumps with a -6n each into a Y fitting tothe -8 that you run to the FPr? Or the rails?

I considering Running two seperate lines to run them both to the FPR but your way looks like less lines and accomplishes the same thing.

Did radium provide the relays and hard wired kits or did you order them sepreraly?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-16, 05:08 PM   #5
theblacksti

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJMark95 View Post
Another question on this as I start to plan mine out - I had planned to do something damn near identical to yours so this really helps. When you wire in the surge tank could you post up exactly how you do it? I have a good idea how I just want a sanity check. Also I take it you run your two pumps with a -6n each into a Y fitting tothe -8 that you run to the FPr? Or the rails?

I considering Running two seperate lines to run them both to the FPR but your way looks like less lines and accomplishes the same thing.

Did radium provide the relays and hard wired kits or did you order them sepreraly?

There is a -6 feed off each pump to a Y that goes to a -8 feed. I have the -8 split to two -6 to each rail. In parallel like that a -6 feed will support a lot. -6 is easier to work with.

The relays I did not get from radium. Did everything myself. It's all wired up so I will take pics and add to this tm. Totally forgot too
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-16, 05:45 PM   #6
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

You're a braver man than me running the fuel lines in the cabin.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-16, 05:47 PM   #7
theblacksti

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
You're a braver man than me running the fuel lines in the cabin.

Ptfe lines. No vapor and smell. Also the braided sheathing is very thick. I know a lot of ppl that do it. The factory lines run through the car in the same area new lines are.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-16, 05:51 PM   #8
lexmark
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: 05 sti
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

lexmark is on a distinguished road

nice job
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-16, 05:53 PM   #9
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

It's not the smell I'd be worried about. It's the lack of fire barrier if you're involved in a wreck. I'm not a fan of the factory lines running through the car either.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-16, 05:55 PM   #10
theblacksti

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
It's not the smell I'd be worried about. It's the lack of fire barrier if you're involved in a wreck. I'm not a fan of the factory lines running through the car either.

If you think about it,, a flexible line will have some give in a crash vs the hardline snapping. I broke the hardline with my hands..
Likes 0 Dislikes 0