IW STi Forum banner

JDM Rear Brake Light/Fog Light Install for 2011 Sedan

93K views 69 replies 37 participants last post by  rsxstunna 
#1 · (Edited)
Here ya go for those wanting to install this on their 2011 sedans. The JDM version is intended to be a rear foglight but I wired it to my brake lights so it acts as a 4th brake light and only comes on when you hit the brakes. Just like the rear window 3rd brake light.

Here are the parts that were ordered from AVO Japan.

First remove the back bumper. This will make it easier to access the gray plastic piece so you can cut it. Also so you can run the wires. There are a total of 8 plastic clips you will need to remove. Two are under the left tire/right tire and a tiny one inside the left/right wheel wells. After removing the clips, start pulling the bumper off from the sides. The middle is a little tough to remove but just give it a good yank and it will come loose.

Next, you will see that the gray plastic piece is clipped into the bumper so I started at one end and depressed the clips and slowly pulled it away from the bumper. I used a dremel to cut the center out of the gray plastic piece where the light will go. It's pretty flimsy so I didn't have to cut too deep before I could just snap the center piece off. Reattach the two pieces you separated from the center piece back onto the bumper.

Next I assembled the light. Slip the two clip nuts into the slits in the light housing. Place the light housing into the bumper and you will see that it already has two holes that line up with the light housing. Use the two bolts (10mm socket) and tighten em down.

Go ahead and take the wiring harness and insert the bulb and twist it into the light housing. Next I ran the wire over to the left side of the car through the black rubber grommet hole. They provided clips for the wire harness but I ended up only using one of them. The wiring harness already has a few that I ended up just clipping the harness to the frame of the car. You will see a black rubber plug on the left side near the tail light. Pull that out so that you can run the wire into the trunk. The wiring harness has a built-in plug to fill the hole you just exposed. They sent me a plug for that hole but again I didn't use it since the harness had one on it. You will need to remove the left rear panel so you can pull the wire through and gain access to the brake light wires too. Use a flathead screwdriver to remover the small black cap that is holding the panel in place. Pull enough of the wire through so you can get to the wiring harness of the brake lights.

As for the wiring, unplug the main wiring harness that is plugged into the rear taillight and take off some of the electrical tape to expose the wires. The wires that you will want to splice into are the red/white (which is your brake light) and the black ground wire. The blue wire from the new light harness will go to the red/white and the black wire will go to the black of course. I used some quick connects to splice the wires together. Plug the harness back in and put everything back together. Actually, you may want to have someone help you test out the light before you put everything back together.

I think that about does it for the install. Here is the end result. Enjoy!

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: JDM Rear Brake Light Install for 2011 Sedan

The part numbers:

Light Housing - 84913FG420
Nut - 902510032 (Need 2)
Bolt - 901000344 (Need 2)
Bulb - 84920KE010
Wiring Assembly - 84981FG050
Clip - 909205126 (They sent me 4 but only used 1)
Plug Hole - 90321TA010 (I did not use this part)

#8 ·
I wired mine up with the running tail lights. It's just a quick switch of the wires ;)

#13 ·
BTW, Thanks JT7Dust for spending the time to post up pictures of your install. It looks great on your car!

#15 ·
No problem guys! Just here to help. I don't run into fog much down here in Texas so I figured an extra brake light would be helpful with all the idiot drivers around.

The light doesn't stay bright all the time. It only comes on when the brakes are applied. So it doesn't distract. Wire it however you'd like guys. Like I said, I'm just here to help!

#17 ·
It pushes out towards the rear of the car. It has several clips/tabs that you can just press with you fingers to get them to pop out. You can see the tabs in this pic. There are some on the bottom too that you can't see in the pic. If you notice the two open rectangles at the ends, it helps if you press through that opening to pop the piece out. Hope that makes sense.

#21 ·
Rear fog lights aren't illegal. They just need to be mounted in an OEM spot or within a certain distance away from the brake lights according to your state laws. Rear fogs should only be used in inclement weather too, that's the whole point of the light, not to use it as an extra brake light.

#24 ·
installed it today. it was a breeze. however i tapped different wires than you did as i didn't want a 4th brake light.

on the top bulb in the tailight there are three wires (black, solid red, white with black line) running to the bulb. i didn't tap the harness shown on post 1.

i tapped the black for the ground(black to black) and then the red for the running lights (green from fog harness to red). thus when my headlights or running lights are on, meaning anything but the OFF position, this fog light will be on. an extra hand is nice to help take the bumper on and off.

install took maybe half an hour and the hardest part was getting the push clips out :lol:

#35 ·
Just remember that it's made to be on in really bad weather only, it's a "REAR FOG LIGHT" in Europe and other parts of the world it is "STANDARD" it's not really "JDM" or "EDM" it's more like the "MANDATED" in other parts of the world. Some people here in the USA forget to turn it off when there is a "BRIGHT" day or night and drive around with it on all the time. Just my 2 Cents!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.