JDM Rear Brake Light/Fog Light Install for 2011 Sedan - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > GR Series STi Discussion (2008+) > GR-General > GR-Exterior > JDM Rear Brake Light/Fog Light Install for 2011 Sedan
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.
Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-02-11, 03:34 PM   #1
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: SWP 11 STI Sedan
Fav Mod: Stage 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JT7Dust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default JDM Rear Brake Light/Fog Light Install for 2011 Sedan

Here ya go for those wanting to install this on their 2011 sedans. The JDM version is intended to be a rear foglight but I wired it to my brake lights so it acts as a 4th brake light and only comes on when you hit the brakes. Just like the rear window 3rd brake light.

Here are the parts that were ordered from AVO Japan.

First remove the back bumper. This will make it easier to access the gray plastic piece so you can cut it. Also so you can run the wires. There are a total of 8 plastic clips you will need to remove. Two are under the left tire/right tire and a tiny one inside the left/right wheel wells. After removing the clips, start pulling the bumper off from the sides. The middle is a little tough to remove but just give it a good yank and it will come loose.

Next, you will see that the gray plastic piece is clipped into the bumper so I started at one end and depressed the clips and slowly pulled it away from the bumper. I used a dremel to cut the center out of the gray plastic piece where the light will go. It's pretty flimsy so I didn't have to cut too deep before I could just snap the center piece off. Reattach the two pieces you separated from the center piece back onto the bumper.

Next I assembled the light. Slip the two clip nuts into the slits in the light housing. Place the light housing into the bumper and you will see that it already has two holes that line up with the light housing. Use the two bolts (10mm socket) and tighten em down.

Go ahead and take the wiring harness and insert the bulb and twist it into the light housing. Next I ran the wire over to the left side of the car through the black rubber grommet hole. They provided clips for the wire harness but I ended up only using one of them. The wiring harness already has a few that I ended up just clipping the harness to the frame of the car. You will see a black rubber plug on the left side near the tail light. Pull that out so that you can run the wire into the trunk. The wiring harness has a built-in plug to fill the hole you just exposed. They sent me a plug for that hole but again I didn't use it since the harness had one on it. You will need to remove the left rear panel so you can pull the wire through and gain access to the brake light wires too. Use a flathead screwdriver to remover the small black cap that is holding the panel in place. Pull enough of the wire through so you can get to the wiring harness of the brake lights.

As for the wiring, unplug the main wiring harness that is plugged into the rear taillight and take off some of the electrical tape to expose the wires. The wires that you will want to splice into are the red/white (which is your brake light) and the black ground wire. The blue wire from the new light harness will go to the red/white and the black wire will go to the black of course. I used some quick connects to splice the wires together. Plug the harness back in and put everything back together. Actually, you may want to have someone help you test out the light before you put everything back together.

I think that about does it for the install. Here is the end result. Enjoy!

Gienek likes this.

Last edited by JT7Dust; 01-02-11 at 06:01 PM.
JT7Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 03:49 PM   #2
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 WRB STI Limited
Fav Mod: COBB Tuning Accessport & COBB SF Intake w/ Airbox
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ScoobyDoo12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: JDM Rear Brake Light Install for 2011 Sedan

Helluva Job! Thanks for your work!
ScoobyDoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 04:17 PM   #3
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Pro-Tune, RCE Yellows
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

impulsive.ca is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm really not feeling it. Looks like the rear end has a buck-tooth. Maybe if it were clear with a red LED bulb to match the SWP paint?
impulsive.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 04:36 PM   #4
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Wrb 08 wrx sti w/bbs
Fav Mod: Magnaflow CBE
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

pdivizzle0112 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think it looks awesome, but imo would be cooler as a rear fog
pdivizzle0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 04:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 STi Limited WRB
Fav Mod: TWM Short Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

lim1ted is an unknown quantity at this point

whats the part number on the light housing?
lim1ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 04:57 PM   #6
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: SWP 11 STI Sedan
Fav Mod: Stage 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JT7Dust is an unknown quantity at this point

The part numbers:

Light Housing - 84913FG420
Nut - 902510032 (Need 2)
Bolt - 901000344 (Need 2)
Bulb - 84920KE010
Wiring Assembly - 84981FG050
Clip - 909205126 (They sent me 4 but only used 1)
Plug Hole - 90321TA010 (I did not use this part)
JT7Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 06:11 PM   #7
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

robotvoice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: JDM Rear Brake Light/Fog Light Install for 2011 Sedan

Great write up but it's a shame you wired it as a 4th brake light. That is not what the rear fog should be used for. You went through all that trouble to install it, you should have wired it up properly as well.
robotvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 06:20 PM   #8
Gold Member

Fav Mod: My hot JDM Wife
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WarAmp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotvoice View Post
Great write up but it's a shame you wired it as a 4th brake light. That is not what the rear fog should be used for. You went through all that trouble to install it, you should have wired it up properly as well.
I wired mine up with the running tail lights. It's just a quick switch of the wires

2011 Subaru WRX STI - Sport Tech Sedan
Defi / Varis / KW Version 3 / Grimmspeed / Cobb / Perrin Performance / Kartboy/ Invidia/ Charge Speed / Advans / Kics / Crawford / Invidia/ Racecomp Engineering
WarAmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 06:25 PM   #9
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

robotvoice is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by waramp View Post
I wired mine up with the running tail lights. It's just a quick switch of the wires
But why? It's a rear "fog" light, not an extra rear tail light or 4th brake light. It runs at the brightness of your brake lights and should only be used in inclement weather, otherwise it's just distracting to other drivers.

It's just as easy to run a wire into the cabin and either wire this to the front fogs or an aux switch to use it properly.
robotvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 06:27 PM   #10
Gold Member

Fav Mod: My hot JDM Wife
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WarAmp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotvoice View Post
But why? It's a rear "fog" light, not an extra rear tail light, or 4th brake light. It runs at the brightness of your brake lights and should only be used in inclement weather, otherwise it's just distracting to other drivers.

It's just as easy to run a wire into the cabin and either wire this to the front fogs or an aux switch to use it properly.
Sorry I wasn't clear, I also have a Honda Fit with a JDM 3'rd brake light. I was meaning that it's quite simple to just change the wires around.

2011 Subaru WRX STI - Sport Tech Sedan
Defi / Varis / KW Version 3 / Grimmspeed / Cobb / Perrin Performance / Kartboy/ Invidia/ Charge Speed / Advans / Kics / Crawford / Invidia/ Racecomp Engineering
WarAmp is offline   Reply With Quote