IW STi Forum banner

AnorexicSTI - 05 STI Lightweight w/ "full interior" - 2660lbs - 62 lbs to 2598!

437K views 764 replies 172 participants last post by  uschearak 
#1 · (Edited)
AnorexicSTI - 05 STI Lightweight w/ "full interior" - 2660lbs - 62 lbs to 2598!

The theme of my car and journal is weight reduction. I was formerly known as the "King of weight reduction" in my Honda days. I've always believed weight reduction is the best way to achieve better performance, because it helps in every respect - acceleration, braking, cornering, and also reduces wear due to less stress on components. My original goal when I started this journal was to get the car down to 2899 lbs with driver and 30-35L of gas. I weigh 165 lbs, 170 lbs with clothing and shoes. Therefore, the goal was roughly 2729 without driver. At the time, I thought that was achievable only by removing the passenger seat for track days, but I now think that is achievable with a fully functional interior including a stereo. The only functional things I've removed from the interior are the middle rear seat belt, the rear center pass through (CDN models came with it), sunvisors (can be added back in for road trips), grab handles, and the rear speakers.

New goal as of July 2007 is 2699 without driver and 30-35L of gas!!

New goal as of Sept 5th, 2007 is 2698 without drivine and 30-35L of gas! I decided this because I learned the wet weight is 3298 and I wanted to achieve 600 lbs of weight reduction!!

Table of Contents for the most relevant posts
Post 2 - Weight Reduction List
Post 4 - Weights of Aftermarket Parts
Post 5 - Weights of OEM Parts
Post 6 - Weight Breakdown of some Aftermarket Parts

Posts with pictures in them
1. Post 194 has some pics of the engine bay with the battery removed
2. Post 195 has some pics of my APR wing with Spec C trunk
3. Post 196 has some pics of my OMP Kubic steering wheel, NRG quick release, and custom steering column lowering job
4. Post 197 has some pics of my OMP Comfort Seats and 1 more of my OMP steering wheel for fun
5. Post 210 has some diameters for the stock exhaust manifold and gaskets

See less See more
#328 ·
Re: AnorexicSTI - 05 STI Lightweight with "full" interior - 2825 lbs and losing!

T3h_Clap said:
or you could import some Spec C glass. :D
Are you sure the Spec-C glass is actually thinner and lighter? I heard STI's already came with the thinner glass. I know my windshield and rear glass appears thinner to the "sound" when I knock on it compared to my old 02 WRX.

Do u have a link to a vendor that sells Spec C glass?

#329 ·
Re: AnorexicSTI - 05 STI Lightweight with "full" interior - 2825 lbs and losing!

spazegun2213 said:
damn you really are a JDM baller....

I've seen several well made static lexan rear windows on several race cars. That's what i would do with mine, if i were to strip it down.
I did Lexan on my 92 Civic and it scratched really easy and affected vision... it also distorted and brought light into the car at weird angles... overall it only saved 12 lbs on the windshield (18 lbs vs 30) and like 2 lbs on the rear quarter windows (stock was only 4-5 lbs... lexan was like 2-3)... unless Lexan has improved in quality since the late 90's I'll stick to glass.

#330 ·

spazegun2213 said:
i hate to say this, but have you thought about lexan? Lexan rear side windows would probably save you 50+lbs between the glass, motors, etc.
I doubt it would save 50 lbs... the WHOLE door is only 40 lbs... the glass itself is maybe 7-8 lbs at the most... motor 3 lbs at the most... the mechanisms maybe 3 lbs as well... figure a 10 lb savings max per rear door.

I'd like somebody to research the Spec C glass though (I'll give u credit in my thread if u get me the proper info)... My priorities are on suspension and other things at the moment....

#331 ·

the issue with the spec c glass is transportation.

i know the Spec C glass is lighter than the stock JDM STi glass.

not sure compared to a USDM STi

look at some of the big dog importers though,

Garage Spec
Japan Parts

to name a few.

#332 ·

Just installed a Deka ETX9 battery which is only 7.0 lbs.... it's FRICKIN TINY!!!!! this saves 2.5 lbs over my ETX12 (9.5 lbs)...

I also removed the rear ABS sensor wire brackets and replaced with zip ties... 0.75 lb savings for both sides... and another 0.25 lb savings for a brakeline bracket removed.

3.5 lbs saved today! YAY!

#333 ·

AnorexicSTI said:
I doubt it would save 50 lbs... the WHOLE door is only 40 lbs... the glass itself is maybe 7-8 lbs at the most... motor 3 lbs at the most... the mechanisms maybe 3 lbs as well... figure a 10 lb savings max per rear door.

I'd like somebody to research the Spec C glass though (I'll give u credit in my thread if u get me the proper info)... My priorities are on suspension and other things at the moment....
i thought the doors weighed just under 70 lbs? like 68 or something

#334 ·

BlackedoutSTI said:
I estimated the fronts at 60-65 lbs just by the "feel" of how much effort it took to close them (wow, looks like I was only 3 lbs off... not bad!) and I estimated the rears to be 40-45 lbs...

#335 ·

BlackedoutSTI said:
why do you think this?

#336 ·

T3h_Clap said:
why do you think this?
it was in a thread involving seibon carbon fiber doors showing how much weight they saved. I will throw in any comment about doors until anorexic does seibon CF doors and glues the windows in place, but i would settle for the door and working internals.
Imagine what this car would weigh with the interior gutted!!!

#337 ·

BlackedoutSTI said:
it was in a thread involving seibon carbon fiber doors showing how much weight they saved. I will throw in any comment about doors until anorexic does seibon CF doors and glues the windows in place, but i would settle for the door and working internals.
Imagine what this car would weigh with the interior gutted!!!
The Seibon CF doors instrigue me, but their track record on bad fitting hoods and trunks scare me... I think a car from World One did this mod with seemingly good results... I'd ideally like to see the fit and finish in person and if I can get a good deal on a used set or sponsored on a new set, I would probably add them for NEXT SEASON... this season I got other things to take care of... and CF doors aren't at the top of my list. I still need to get the damn car lowered... the high ride height is costing me aerodynamics and also power due to the axles being at a non-straight angle (hence my power is only power*cosine of the angle of the axles).

#338 · (Edited)
Re: AnorexicSTI - 05 STI Lightweight with "full" interior - 2821.5 lbs and losing!

some more weight specs:

COBB R floor mat - 2.0 lbs
COBB L floor mat - 1.5 lbs

COBB actually weighed them as 1.96 and 1.6 for a total of 3.56, but I round everything to nearest 1/4 lb... so 2.0 and 1.5 it is.

Stock is 2.25 passenger and 2.25 driver, so even though I don't run floor mats at the track, I still do run them on the street, and I will get these to save 1.0 lbs for the street.

#339 ·

AnorexicSTI said:
The Seibon CF doors instrigue me, but their track record on bad fitting hoods and trunks scare me... I think a car from World One did this mod with seemingly good results... I'd ideally like to see the fit and finish in person and if I can get a good deal on a used set or sponsored on a new set, I would probably add them for NEXT SEASON... this season I got other things to take care of... and CF doors aren't at the top of my list.
YES!!!ok im glad you got it in your head, this is a start. That would be the single biggest mod weight saving wise. (I think)

#340 ·
Re: AnorexicSTI - 05 STI Lightweight with "full" interior - 2821.5 lbs and losing!

Some more weights:

TiC fender braces 1.75 lbs for both
Stock rear diff mount bushings 1.0 lb
TiC rear diff mount bushings 0.75 lbs
Stock tranny crossmember bushings (all 4) - 0.25 lbs
TiC tranny crossmember bushings (all 4) - 0.25 lbs
TiC outrigger bushings 0.5 lbs
TiC rear tranny stay, linkage shift, and pivots bushings w/ hardware 0.25 lbs
JDM rain visors 1.25 lbs for both
Stock side mirrors 2.25 lbs ea
APR mirror w/ hardware 1.0 lb ea
APR rear diffuser w/ hardware 4.5 lbs
Gas tank heat shield 4.75 lbs :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: (I thought this would weigh 1.5 lbs... pleasant surprise!!!!)
Gas tank plastic splash guards 0.25 lbs for both
Whiteline subframe lock bolts 0.5 lbs
Rear ebrake cable brackets w/ bolts (replaced all with zip ties) 0.75 lbs
COBB axleback w/ bolts, nuts, and gasket 19.0 lbs
COBB midpipe w/o hardware 9.0 lbs
Kosei K1 TS light grey wheels w/ Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 245/40/17 - 38.0 lbs except 1 that was 38.25 lbs

#341 ·

AnorexicSTI said:
Some more weights:

TiC fender braces 1.75 lbs for both
Stock rear diff mount bushings 1.0 lb
TiC rear diff mount bushings 0.75 lbs
Stock tranny crossmember bushings (all 4) - 0.25 lbs
TiC tranny crossmember bushings (all 4) - 0.25 lbs
TiC outrigger bushings 0.5 lbs
TiC rear tranny stay, linkage shift, and pivots bushings w/ hardware 0.25 lbs
JDM rain visors 1.25 lbs for both
Stock side mirrors 2.25 lbs ea
APR mirror w/ hardware 1.0 lb ea
APR rear diffuser w/ hardware 4.5 lbs
Gas tank heat shield 4.75 lbs :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: (I thought this would weigh 1.5 lbs... pleasant surprise!!!!)
Gas tank plastic splash guards 0.25 lbs for both
Whiteline subframe lock bolts 0.5 lbs
Rear ebrake cable brackets w/ bolts (replaced all with zip ties) 0.75 lbs
COBB axleback w/ bolts, nuts, and gasket 19.0 lbs
COBB midpipe w/o hardware 9.0 lbs
Kosei K1 TS light grey wheels w/ Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 245/40/17 - 38.0 lbs except 1 that was 38.25 lbs

We need pics with the new mirrors, rain visors and diffuser!

Get on it!

#343 ·

spazegun2213 said:
and of your car on a scale, with the kosei's on it! :D
Yeah, i forgot that. Man we need pics. This is one of the longest journals here, and yet it's at the bottom in the number of pics it has. Get to work!

#345 ·

KrazyKarl said:
Yeah, i forgot that. Man we need pics. This is one of the longest journals here, and yet it's at the bottom in the number of pics it has. Get to work!
Make u a deal... I'll post some pics on the first page if u can help me get a mod to delete post 3 (reeksti) where he says "where are the pics man?"... it's messing up the continuinity of my thread since the first 2 posts are getting cluttered now... I want to have the first 10 or so posts dedicated to the description of the car, table of contents, pics, etc.

#346 ·

Spaze, your a mod, do your thing!

#347 ·

KrazyKarl said:
Spaze, your a mod, do your thing!
Car is down to 2700's for the first time... 2795 or so... the new wheels/tires shaved 20 lbs and a bunch of minor mods took off another 5 or so... I've got my Brakeman rear setup going on this weekend which should shave another 20 lbs... coilovers soon... I think 2699 is within reach now! maybe not this season, but next season for sure... I think 2750 is the goal for this season, 2699 for next season.

#348 ·
Re: AnorexicSTI - 05 STI Lightweight with "full" interior - 2795 lbs and losing!

Weighed my car on the weekend... it was 1270 kgs, or 2800 lbs, just like I predicted.

I've updated the first post, but here is the main addition (although many others like the COBB endlinks and invidia uppipe were added)

Weight breakdown of Brakeman front brake setup (per corner)

Rotor - 12.75 lbs
Caliper - 5.0 lbs
Pads - 2.0 lbs (initial pad thickness is 15.5 mm)
Bracket w/ bolts 2.0 lbs
SS brakeline - 0.25 lbs
Total - 9.25 lbs w/o rotor, 22.0 lbs w/ rotor

Weight breakdown of stock Brembo front brake setup (per corner)

Rotor - 22.75 lbs
Caliper - 8.5 lbs
Pads - 2.25 lbs
Bracket w/ bolts 1.25 lbs
Rubber brakeline - 0.25 lbs
Total - 12.25 lbs w/o rotor, 35.0 lbs w/ rotor

#351 ·
Re: AnorexicSTI - 05 STI Lightweight with "full" interior - 2795 lbs and losing!

COBB heat shield - 1.5 lbs

Anybody know how much the stock heat shield weighs? I estimated it to be 1.5 lbs since the COBB is 1.5 lbs. If somebody has it off and can weight it accurately, please PM me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.