GD: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- GTA Road Atlanta recap ~ 5/16/17-Post #3364 - Page 337 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- GTA Road Atlanta recap ~ 5/16/17-Post #3364
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- GTA Road Atlanta recap ~ 5/16/17-Post #3364
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 05-15-17, 07:45 AM   #3361
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Fav Mod: Track Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

BoostJunkie is a jewel in the roughBoostJunkie is a jewel in the roughBoostJunkie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- On the dyno today! ~ 5/5/17-Post #3337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Track looks figgin fast from the video's. Sad about the 4th gear synchro issue and the way they grid you. I would have protested or got Podium Phil (Element Tuning) to vouch. I hope you read this and call him that, tell him Darryl said so, lol.
Yes very fast track. I think it might have actually been a shift fork or some larger issue because once I got it into 4th, it would actually pop out under acceleration unless I physically held the gear lever there. The grid stuff ultimately didn't matter that much since the car was too fucked up so lay down a good lap anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAG View Post
Lol, PP podium Phil.

What a stupid way to grid. WTF? This is not a HP trackday.

It's like in this years wtac they put that 1300whp Audi R8 In Clubsprint since he has not run this before. WTF

Why did I think you had the sequential??

It's off topic but important:

Who cares what your V16 swapped shop car laps RD Atlanta in one second. Caliber of a shop shows through their big spending customers and how well and how reliably they run. Dan, me, Bruce, David (Funk32)...
Yes it was dumb but they did at least move me to the middle group and send me out first by day 2.

Sequential has been on order for awhile but has not arrived yet. It should be here any day now.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-17, 05:03 AM   #3362
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- On the dyno today! ~ 5/5/17-Post #3337

Wish I could have been there! Road Atlanta is an awesome track as far as I remember it from iRacing.

Gotta ask the not-yet-Wifey if we can shift vacation planning for next year to visit Road Atlanta

Idin and I agreed that we somehow have to bring our cars over for an all IWSTI Trackday...

Anyway, congrats Dan on the result besides the issues! Still on the Podium in your class isn't too bad considering your 4th gear is shot and that's a gear you need quite often at Road Atlanta.
I hope the new Sequencial Gearbox doesn't have any hidden gremlins in it and you'll be able to #maximumattack once that is in and set up!

Please don't forget to tape Gopros to your car

Will you be at Auto Club Speedway in CA on July 16th?

Last edited by ben_der; 05-16-17 at 05:07 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-17, 05:31 AM   #3363
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BoostJunkie is a jewel in the roughBoostJunkie is a jewel in the roughBoostJunkie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_der View Post
Wish I could have been there! Road Atlanta is an awesome track as far as I remember it from iRacing.

Gotta ask the not-yet-Wifey if we can shift vacation planning for next year to visit Road Atlanta

Idin and I agreed that we somehow have to bring our cars over for an all IWSTI Trackday...

Anyway, congrats Dan on the result besides the issues! Still on the Podium in your class isn't too bad considering your 4th gear is shot and that's a gear you need quite often at Road Atlanta.
I hope the new Sequencial Gearbox doesn't have any hidden gremlins in it and you'll be able to #maximumattack once that is in and set up!

Please don't forget to tape Gopros to your car

Will you be at Auto Club Speedway in CA on July 16th?
No Auto Club, not sure what events will happen the rest of this year to be honest. I really would like to make it to SLB but we'll see.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-17, 05:31 AM   #3364
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, not the greatest weekend for me overall. Here's a brief recap...

We arrived at the track Thursday morning for testing, unloaded the car, and it was pretty much ready to go. I left on an old set of Hoosiers since I really just wanted to get out at part speed and learn the track. We were waiting for a fuel delivery from Ignite but nobody seemed to know where it was so I just went out with whatever I had in the tank. I got in about 5 laps before I ran out of fuel and had to limp it in. In that time, I turned a 1:36 which was very promising for some learning laps. Unfortunately, we didn't get the fuel in time so I missed the second test session and would have to wait until Friday.

Friday morning I was a little surprised to find that I was placed in the "C" group, which was the slowest of the 3. Apparently if you have not run with GTA before, they automatically place you there regardless of what class you're in. This made for a very interesting, if not downright dangerous, first session. The closing speeds on the enthusiast class cars were huge, and I had no idea how experienced some of the drivers were so I basically just tried to pick people off to get some clear track and prayed that nobody turned in on me. By the time I even got close to the front of the pack, the session was over and it was pretty much a wash. At that point, I could feel the trans grinding heavily when downshifting into 4th gear but I figured it was just a worn synchro.

When I went back out, I was able to convince the GTA guys to at least send me out first in the C group to lay down a lap time and move up. From the first lap, something wasn't right with 4th gear. I would downshift from 5-4 and when I went back to throttle, it would pop out of gear and free rev. I was able to wiggle it back into gear but by then I'd lost a ton of time. This was happening maybe 2-3 times per lap. I brought the car in and Fred went to work trying to do whatever he could to make it better. It was clear there was some terminal damage but just trying to limp it through the weekend. He changed the fluid, tightened up the linkage, and removed the flat bottom to try to cool it since it was getting super hot.

I went back out on Saturday and unfortunately, the problem only got worse. It now wouldn't reliably downshift or upshift into 4th, and would actually pop out at random once I did get it in gear. It got to the point that I was steering the car with one hand while holding it in gear with the other. Not only did this in itself make for poor lap times, but the huge distraction really had a negative effect on my concentration. It was actually getting dangerous trying to steer a 600whp car with one hand so I just decided to park it early and load everything back up.

I had a lot of fun at the event and came away with 3rd place. Got to hang with the Snail Performance crew and some other new friends, and Road Atlanta is a hell of a track. I'm bummed that I wasn't able to fully enjoy it while fighting problems all weekend but still a great experience. I feel like I need to go back for Gridlife in August and redeem myself.

Despite my frustration, I can't say enough about Fred, J.J., Jeff, Boris, Bill, and the rest of the IAG Performance crew back at the shop. They put in a ton of time and effort preparing the car, and even when things weren't going well, they never gave up and always maintained a positive attitude. We made some pretty major upgrades in the offseason with the dry sump system, all new turbo kit and header, new fuel system, new aero, etc. All of that performed flawlessly and, ironically, it was the tried and true 6 speed that failed us. The Samsonas sequential will be here soon and it will get installed, along with coolers for the trans and rear diff. I am also going to have the downpipe and exhaust coated and/or wrapped to try to keep heat out of the driveline. Things get SUPER hot under there with the flat bottom, not to mention inside the cabin.

Not many pics available yet but I will post them as they come in. Here are a few that I have now.

Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 10:13 AM   #3365
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- GTA Road Atlanta recap ~ 5/16/17-Post #3364

Some more pics from GTA Road Atlanta.

Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 10:39 AM   #3366
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough
Default Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- GTA Road Atlanta recap ~ 5/16/17-Post #3364

Sucks about the trans, but good driving otherwise! Car looks great.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 11:59 AM   #3367
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the rough

So many cool pictures!
Car just looks awesome with the new livery!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-22-17, 12:02 PM   #3368
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

A few more.

Likes 5 Dislikes 0