GD: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- Cosworth manifold installed! ~ 6/29/17-Post #3381 - Page 333 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- Cosworth manifold installed! ~ 6/29/17-Post #3381
BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- Cosworth manifold installed! ~ 6/29/17-Post #3381
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- Cosworth manifold installed! ~ 6/29/17-Post #3381

Old 04-18-17, 05:20 AM   #3321
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Fav Mod: Track Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

BoostJunkie is a jewel in the roughBoostJunkie is a jewel in the roughBoostJunkie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- Custom Header! ~ 4/17/17-Post #3318

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
OMG, that's some accurate welding. MOAR!!
I'll be in and out of the shop over the next few weeks preparing for GTA so I'll be sure to keep taking progress pics!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-17, 05:17 AM   #3322
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to behold

Dan,

Confirming your pedal box:

Floor mounted
Tilton 600
Tilton master cylinders

Any tricks or hints?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-17, 06:08 AM   #3323
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BoostJunkie is a jewel in the roughBoostJunkie is a jewel in the roughBoostJunkie is a jewel in the rough

Correct, I used a Tilton 600 series with their master cylinders and bias adjuster. Let me know if you need master cylinder sizes and I can look back at my records. The biggest tip I have is to get the "underfoot" version that has the front mounted master cylinders. That wasn't available back when I got mine but it would have made the install much easier. Even with my seat moved back about 10" the pedals barely fit in the right spot without the masters hitting the firewall. If I was a taller guy I'd have issues.

You will also have to figure something out for the throttle pedal position sensor. If I remember correctly, we used a GM sensor and machined a bracket for it, then used a standard linkage. You could also theoretically use a linear pot:

Here are a few pics of the mounting. They created channels with pieces of flat stock so the entire box can be loosened and moved forward/back. Plenty of different ways to do this, you just have to make sure it's rock solid. A lot of pressure goes through the brake pedal so you can't have ANY flex anywhere.

Oh and one more tip. Since you have to run all new lines anyway, install separate brake pressure sensors for the front and rear circuits. This will help dial in the bias, as well as helping you examine your driving after the fact. You can see how much brake pressure you used entering a corner, compare to wheel speeds to see how much pressure you can use before lockup, etc.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-17, 07:19 AM   #3324
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to behold

Thanks a lot Dan. Great help.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-17, 12:48 PM   #3325
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAG View Post
Thanks a lot Dan. Great help.
You got it, good luck!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-17, 06:50 AM   #3326
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

I went up to the shop yesterday to do a little spring cleaning (I have about 9 years worth of old parts laying around there, found some stuff to sell!) and put in a little work on the car. Fred and the guys at IAG have been making good progress too. The dry sump system is really coming together, as are some aero upgrades I've been planning.

Header fully welded and mounted, and dry sump pan/pump mounted with gold heat protection. The header is getting some nice heat shielding when it's all done.

In the interest of minimizing engine wear, we are using an in-tank oil preheater, as well as this really trick remote filter mount. You can use a standard power drill to spin the primer and build 20+ psi of oil pressure before starting the engine.

The new GTX3582R Gen 2 Reverse Rotation is mocked up in place and the uppipe is tacked together. Just needs a little adjustment and finish welding. It's yuuuuge.

Finally, the body shop installed a set of front fender louvers to try to improve the aero balance. The car was definitely lacking in front downforce last season so adding these and a few other pieces should help a lot. If we went too far, I can always just add a little bit of rear wing.

I also installed a really trick set of carbon aero mirrors. They are significantly larger than APR mirrors, have internal mounts on the back side of the door skin, and the stems are actually carbon aero tubing. This should reduce drag a lot, and even though they're smaller than stock mirrors, they have almost twice the vision range. Also notice I stripped off most of the old vinyl, more on that later

And just for the hell of it, a pic of a billet block sitting on the shelf waiting for final machining and assembly. This is the kind of cool stuff you see when you visit IAG! One day she will be mine...

Likes 6 Dislikes 0

Old 04-29-17, 04:44 AM   #3327
user1029
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of
Default Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- GTX Gen 2 and Aero Mirrors ~ 4/28/17-Post #3326

1. IAG needs to make their own headers
2. I need those fender vents

If you own a built motor, read this: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/built-mo...nvestment.html
If you own a Cobb AP, read this: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/faq-newb...onitoring.html
Power Progression Guide: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ing-stars.html
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-01-17, 08:28 AM   #3328
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- GTX Gen 2 and Aero Mirrors ~ 4/28/17-Post #3326

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1029 View Post
1. IAG needs to make their own headers
2. I need those fender vents
They are working on a new production header but this was a one-off. It took some pretty crazy ingenuity to work around the oil pump and keep the runners equal length. Definitely not necessary in most cases!

The fender vents can be found pretty easily on ebay But they just barely fit in the widebody fenders so definitely won't work in this location on stock fenders. Possibly above on the vertical plane.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-01-17, 10:51 AM   #3329
user1029
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostJunkie View Post
They are working on a new production header but this was a one-off.
I'll hold off on a new header purchase then to replace my 8 year old GTSpec headers

If you own a built motor, read this: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/built-mo...nvestment.html
If you own a Cobb AP, read this: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/faq-newb...onitoring.html
Power Progression Guide: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ing-stars.html
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-02-17, 10:15 AM   #3330
BoostJunkie
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

So I have been working on this pretty cool project for a couple months now and it has finally come together. When I made the decision to go to a sequential gearbox, I had initially planned to use the supplied gear lever but I came across a deal on some paddle shift components that a pro team had kept as spares that was too good to pass up. One thing led to another and I decided to start over from scratch with a new steering wheel.

I was going for a GT3 type steering wheel, and I think I got a little carried away but it came out incredible. This was really a team effort, with Jeff at IAG scanning the wheel and creating a CAD file for the carbon plate, Dragonplate actually machining the plate, and Race-Spec wiring everything up. I think it's safe to say this is the coolest steering wheel ever in a Subaru! I have a couple of small finishing touches to put on but it's pretty much ready to go. Here is a list of components used:

-OMP 310 ALU GT wheel
-Krontec quick release with integrated connector
-ASR 4" spacer
-Momo hub adapter
-Custom carbon plate CNC machined by Dragonplate
-Geartronics shift paddles
-Pro-Bolt black titanium hardware
-Otto P9 momentary buttons
-Deutsch Autosport connector

The wheel had to be pocketed to properly fit the Otto P9 buttons:

The plate was machined with mounting bolt and button holes:

Starting the wiring for the buttons and paddles:

Wrapping up the wiring for the wheel:

And the finished product!

Like I said, it needs a few more finishing touches to personalize it but I think it's safe to say that Race-Spec knocked it out of the park. They were super easy to work with and very meticulous about every detail.

Also, my previous steering wheel/qr/button setup is now for sale. PM serious inquiries. More to come later this week as we continue final prep for Global Time Attack Atlanta!
Likes 5 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement