GD: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upgrade - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upgrade
Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upgrade
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upgrade

Old 08-01-16, 10:57 PM   #1
Krang
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 07 STi / EFR 6758
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Krang is on a distinguished road
Default Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upgrade

Starting a little something here to chronicle the evolution of my car from this point onwards.

To preface, it all began in 2004 when I picked up my DD for the next 10 years, a 2002 WRB WRX Wagon. The wagon ended up 10 years later with a version 8 swap, sedan front fenders, and taken about as far as I cared into an SM class racer. Life priorities changed, and in 2014 I needed a fullsize truck to build my business. I sold the wagon, and my 1997 Toyota Tacoma, and picked up a 2014 Toyota Tundra which has served me very well over the last two years.

Fast forward two years and the itch I could not scratch has come to the point I could not ignore it any longer, thankfully I had saved some money and was doing well at the time. I began to look for my next Subaru. I knew I wanted it to be Silver, Grey, or White, a Sedan, and either a 02-03 or 06-07. After about four months of searching, I came upon an add for a 2.5i which had a full Sti swap, semi built motor, and a rotated turbo all ready to go, or so I had thought, but the car was in Washington while I live in Hawaii.

I know what you're thinking, that sounds expensive! Well, sort of. For a similar car out here I would be looking to spend $20-24k, and I'm almost guaranteed that it has been trashed. I was looking at this 2.5i swap for $13k, it had an entire build thread, history, and after getting to know the owner better I knew she had been respected. I flew out, and after some minor issues which Pacific Import Auto helped diagnose and fix, I was on the road.

While the car was at PIA I exchanged the turbo for my choice of an EFR 6758, and had it tuned. Driving it felt great, and what I had been missing came flooding back all at once. The car was loud, raw, and I could FEEL the car. I was able to drive it for exactly 2 hours until I had to drop it off at the docks at Matson shipping and head home.

The car should arrive sometime around August 10th, at which point the suspension work and a few other minor things will be put in motion, all of which I will attempt to keep track of here.
Attached Thumbnails
Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upgrade-file-3-jpeg  

Last edited by Krang; 07-03-17 at 01:40 AM. Reason: update
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-16, 10:59 PM   #2
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Sti Swapped 2.5i in Paradise // SM Class Build EFR 6758

Event: Dyno Tune
Ambient Temp: Washington Weather?
Elevation: sea level-ish
Weather: likely Raining
Conditions: Shop
Tires: 225/40/18

Car: 2007 STi
Tuner: Mike @ PIA
Dyno Info: Mustang Dyno
Transmission: Stock w/ LSD's
Gear: 3rd
Peak HP at RPM: Dyno 370whp ~6,070RPM
Peak Torque at RPM: Dyno 359 ~4500RPM
Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same Unknown
Target Boost: 20 psi ( Very conservative tune )
Fuel: Pump 92
Engine/Power Modifications: Engine work done by PIA in Tacoma WA.
New 09+ EJ257 bored 99.75 CP pistons / rings, ACL race bearings, New heads / new oem cams ARP head studs, Gates timing set, P&L FMIC, AEM 3.5bar MAP Sensor, Grimmspeed ECBS, Borg Warner EFR 6758 .64ar v-band, 3" CAI intake, TGV's deleted, 3mm phenolic spacers, Fluidampnr, secondary injection air pump delted, Evap sytem deleted, Garris rotated kit up /down pipe, Tial 38mm EWG @ 1 bar springs, Killer-B Holy Header, Q300 3" exhaust, ID1000cc injectors, Walbro 400 fuel pump Hard Wired, P&L fuel rail kit w/ regulator, SouthBend Stage 2 Clutch, EWG Rerouted to DP

Stoked with the results, and I'm thinking on the street it will be even better. Big thanks to Derek, and Andrew and Mike @ PIA for being awesome, couldn't have done any of this without you guys!

Phase two will involve fully wrapping header/up, and a turbo blanket. Addition of a Garrett Cored AWIC setup in the TMIC location, and probably a cutout with a turn down. Hoping to pick up a few hundred rpm of spool swapping the FMIC, and wrapping the pre-turbo exhaust. Might possibly run some higher octane if I can find it locally too.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-16, 08:37 PM   #3
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

8-6-16
While the car is on the boat and should be arriving 8/10. I'm beginning to prep a few projects that I'm going to tackle before the my first race of the season on 8/14, namely:

- Replace all 4 rotors (Girodisc floating)
- Extended ARP studs if I have time
- New brake pads (hawk hp plus)
- Clearance Pads for Girodisc rotor hats
- New Goodridge Phantom lines
- Completely bleed brakes (ATE Blue)
- Replace all 4 endlinks (Whiteline adjustable)
- Redo Turbo Coolant lines (-an fittings)
- Shipped 8/5, hopefully will be here in time. Not happy with the way they are run now.

Last edited by Krang; 08-19-16 at 10:06 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-16, 08:51 PM   #4
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

8-6-16
Also, since it's constantly raining outside and I can't do yard work, I might as well get around to getting the Feal 441 coils ready to go also, this is my third set of Feal 441's and they never cease to please.

These were originally ordered from Odi for a GC I planned on building:

Feal 441 Road Race Specific
14k / 13k swift springs w/ helper springs in the rear to help droop

I need to:
- Change out all 4 tophats for GD Specific versions
- Mooresport Street version in the front
- Feal GD version adjustable rear
- Exchange the 5x100 perches for 5x114 perches

Notes:
- Getting the top nut off the front coils is a pita, but with an impact gun it comes off super easy. I don't see any other way these nuts come off honestly, the allen key size isn't big enough to get proper torque to break them with wrenches.

Rear coils with helper springs:

Rear tophats on and ready to go. I had to take the allen key bolts from the Feal adjustable front tophats and use them here, either the new tophats didn't come with bolts or I lost them. I probably lost them =)

Mooresport front tophats going on. #1:

#2:

Perches took some work to get off but nothing a 12" extension for leverage and a wrench on the end of the spanner won't take care of:

Ready to go:

Last edited by Krang; 08-19-16 at 10:07 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-16, 09:09 PM   #5
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

8-6-16
Between the 8/14 race and the 8/28 race I'm hoping to get my AWIC system setup, and battery relocated to the trunk. Most everything I need is here already, except for a few electrical components.

AWIC System
I have:
- AWIC ( Custom made, 1000hp Garret AWIC core, TMIC location )
- Reservoir ( 2.5 gal alumimum from frozenboost )
- Heat Exchanger ( type 101 from frozenboost )
- Pump ( Meziere WP136S 20gpm )

On the way:
- Fittings
- Lines
- Relay and Switches
- More gold reflective tape

Fab
- Panel to anchor pump and res
- Bracket to anchor pump to panel
- din sized panel to mount switches
- Bracket for heat exchanger
- Bracket for AWIC

Battery Relocation
I have:
- 4ga premium welding wire, 15' black / red ( for runs to trunk and misc grounding )
- wire ends

Local buy:
- Shorai lfx36l3-bs12 ( Battery Bills )

Need:
- Wire loom for pass-throughs and visible areas
- Distribution block for connections in engine compartment

Fab:
- Battery Bracket for trunk

Going to be a lot of work here but I think it's doable.

My inspiration for the AWIC placement, I think this IC piping is short enough for some good response.

AWIC, ran out of reflective tape in the second pic, more on the way:

Reservoir:

Pump. I need to comment that this thing feels solid as hell, glad I went with this brand. The other option was a Davies Craig pump but they were ABS construction:

Last edited by Krang; 08-19-16 at 10:07 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-16, 09:22 PM   #6
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Boat is 103 nautical miles away traveling at roughly 21 knots, will arrive in 5 hours! Might actually get the car before the 10th, that would be nice!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-07-16, 03:07 PM   #7
brapp
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enough

Sweet!!
Looks like a ton of fun.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-09-16, 02:34 AM   #8
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

8-9-16
Went to pick up the car today, shes still it one piece! That's good news. It was still early so I started working on some state registration requirements since I was in town.

Before you can register a "modified" car in Hawaii, you need to get RECON ( Reconstructed Vehicle Permit ). This only applies to vehicles which have modified suspension, or heavily modified body. The suspension test involves a hand administered bounce test which most coilovers fail. Since I still have struts on the car I want to get this RECON done before coils go on. Another requirement to get RECON is that the car must have mad an alignment within the past 30 days to manufacturer specs. To me, this is very backwards, if the vehicles suspension is modified the alignment should be modified as well to make for a safe driving experience.

The end of this story is I went and got an alignment which destroyed driveability for the sole purpose of getting this permit. Almost $200 wasted. Yay.

Picking up at the docks:

I had a package waiting for me when I got home from getfast1.com with some goodies I had been awaiting.

Bunch of -12 AN fittings for the AWIC system:

A few -6 AN, and a banjo for the turbo coolant line from the block:

Got busy installing what I could.

Straight cut o-ring to -12 AN on the pump:

Made a -6 AN line for the block to turbo coolant feed, realized I need a proper braided hose cutter if I'm going to do much more of this:

Tomorrow, get the RECON inspection, then off to the Safety inspection, and finally Registration where I will get my Hawaii plates... Never been one for vanity plates but this would be the time.

Last edited by Krang; 08-19-16 at 10:08 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-12-16, 01:36 AM   #9
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

8-11-16
Had a good amount of time to put into the car today, not without some challenges though.

Swapped out the Invidia Q300 for my favorite exhaust of all time, Borla Hush. Just the right amount of noise I think, and I can still stealth around if I need to.

Swapped out pads and rotors all around in about an hour, felt like things were going to go swimmingly for the rest of the day. Decided not to embark on replacing the lines and bleeding everything today, I wasn't sure how much time I could dedicate and if I had to leave I didn't want to have the lines/bleeding part way done. I had never changed pads on Brembo's before, I gotta say these are a cakewalk compared to the 2 piece calipers that the early gen WRX's had, and I'm very happy that I get to work with these brakes from now on.

Fronts:

Rears:

Also, I have known that my front endlinks were bad for quite some time. Tackled this next, along with the rears. Didn't take long and I'm really happy with the new adjustable ones. However, the front adjustable links are not able to be adjusted while installed like the rears which really limits their usefulness, it's quite a bit of work to take all that apart just to take the links out a few turns when I eventually corner balance the car and set up the suspension.

Fronts, that lower collar is unable to move independently from the heim joint, so to adjust them I need to remove one end:

Rears:

Went on to tackling the water lines to the turbo......

My idea was I could simply remove the banjo on the head and slip my - 6 AN banjo on. Well, due to it's location I now feel this is something I would only tackle with either a majority of the crap in the vicinity removed, or even better, with the motor out of the car. My hands are toast from getting that one bolt out, and the new banjo in.

New Banjo with the - 8 AN fitting:

I inched my way into getting the stock banjo out for about an hour until I needed to head out for a while, in that hour I hadn't loosened it enough to release coolant so I just cleaned up and left it. Took a shot before I left:

Came back about three hours later, around 5pm, and began again. I removed the turbo oil drain to gain some more access, and dropped the nose of the car down on the jackstands a few spaces to get better visibility. After another two hours, I had it out! ( had I known it would take this long, I could have just removed the turbo and all that jazz ) Unfortunately, it was dark by now and I was in no shape to take pictures. After another hour I had the new banjo in, and by 8pm I had my water lines run and the top overflow tank jerry rigged in a stock-ish location, I will eventually make a bracket and put it on the wheel well I think.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-16, 10:05 PM   #10
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

8-13-16
Yesterday I had a chance to get a baseline on my local dyno. Happy with the numbers, they are what I would expect. Both the original tune and my local dyno are Mustang dyno's, so they're very similar.

Local dyno, not sure why the TQ is down on this but I will figure it out:

And my chart overlaid on my EJ207 v8 wagon from 2013:

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement